• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

Cow

Banned
Kohli is the best. Root needs to show the patience and mental toughness that The King showed in the Eng and Aus tours.

Smith is a cheat and subhuman scum. Root shouldn't be looking to him for inspiration.

Cow

Banned
I wasn't able to watch any of yesterday. I was shocked Braithwaite stuck us in. Was it a bad decision?
Ball seamed and swung around quite a bit and there was a bit of variable bounce... that being said, you can defo score on here and they mentioned it is currently the highest scoring pitch in the carribean.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just with the 83 overs being bowled, how long did the Stokes no-ball issue take between deliveries?

Borges

International Regular
83 overs is fine; they wouldn't be in any kind of trouble with the overrates. Without any DRS use at all, they needed to bowl just 85 overs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Angus Fraser would have been proud of his namesake doing this damage.
Definitely bowls a similar pace to Grinning Gus. This would've been the perfect pitch for the eeyoreish old bugger too. He'd have been that imaginary fourth stump outside off all day long. Sigh.

Vic Marks notes in today's Observer that Keemo was born two weeks after Gus took 20 wickets in the back-to-back Bridgetown tests in 98 (excuse me while i pause to scream how old I fecking suddenly am) so it's not too fanciful to suggest he is named after the big fella.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just got the highlights so a few thoughts and observations:

> It looks like a bat first first pitch. A poor decision to bowl, especially as it may get worse.
> Roach seemed down on pace, a lot of balls around 128-130 km/h. Gabriel also seemed a little slower than he has been
> WI seemed much less sharp in the field and bowling wise. A lot of erratic deliveries and more fielding errors too
> Needless to say, Jennings is absolutely dire
> Denly is not a long term prospect either, unsurprising with his poor FC career
> About that chat a couple of pages back about Burns' technique becoming significantly worse, I bet you 100% it's alterations made while in and by the England coaching setup, quite probably with an eye to making him more attacking
> Joseph needs to start bowling much closer to the stumps and start those booming outswingers on middle stump. Edge of the crease should be a variation not standard. Would improve his bowling to left handers especially.
> Root's dismissal was a shocker, something I'd expect from an attacking no. 9
> I'm really not sold on Chase as a bowler despite his 8-for. It'd be nice to keep four fast bowlers and get Cornwall into the team, but I feel that weakens the batting which is something WI can't afford even a little bit
> Keemo looks decent when the ball moves, but I have doubts about when it isn't

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely bowls a similar pace to Grinning Gus. This would've been the perfect pitch for the eeyoreish old bugger too. He'd have been that imaginary fourth stump outside off all day long. Sigh.

Vic Marks notes in today's Observer that Keemo was born two weeks after Gus took 20 wickets in the back-to-back Bridgetown tests in 98 (excuse me while i pause to scream how old I fecking suddenly am) so it's not too fanciful to suggest he is named after the big fella.
Pretty sure he actually was. Most be the only person in the world named after both Angus Fraser and Nelson Mandela. Not two people I would usually especially associate with eachother

Groundking

International Debutant
Just got the highlights so a few thoughts and observations:

> It looks like a bat first first pitch. A poor decision to bowl, especially as it may get worse.
> Roach seemed down on pace, a lot of balls around 128-130 km/h. Gabriel also seemed a little slower than he has been
> WI seemed much less sharp in the field and bowling wise. A lot of erratic deliveries and more fielding errors too
> Needless to say, Jennings is absolutely dire
> Denly is not a long term prospect either, unsurprising with his poor FC career
> About that chat a couple of pages back about Burns' technique becoming significantly worse, I bet you 100% it's alterations made while in and by the England coaching setup, quite probably with an eye to making him more attacking
> Joseph needs to start bowling much closer to the stumps and start those booming outswingers on middle stump. Edge of the crease should be a variation not standard. Would improve his bowling to left handers especially.
> Root's dismissal was a shocker, something I'd expect from an attacking no. 9
> I'm really not sold on Chase as a bowler despite his 8-for. It'd be nice to keep four fast bowlers and get Cornwall into the team, but I feel that weakens the batting which is something WI can't afford even a little bit
> Keemo looks decent when the ball moves, but I have doubts about when it isn't
Yet people were vehemently disagreeing with me last week that Bayliss and his England set up actively makes the players worse.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yet people were vehemently disagreeing with me last week that Bayliss and his England set up actively makes the players worse.
It's certainly true that a lot of the players haven't developed in the way that I'd of hoped since Bayliss came in.

However with Burns in mind and the comment by Starfighter, I wouldn't rule out Starfighter been right, however there are some other reasons why he may be struggling which seem more likely imo.

1). Teams work out quick how to bowl to players and adjust bowling plans and fields accordingly. Burns tends to hit very square of the wicket on the leg side. Wasn't watching too closely at the time but they may have closed off his main scoring areas.
2) The wickets haven't been good for fluent batting throughout the series. They've been two paced, with up and down bounce. Batsmen get out of rhythm and form playing on tough wickets like these.
3) If anything Burns was more defensive and timid that he has been. I would suggest that this actually came from management- and rather than asking Burns to be more aggro, it was a team edict to play with more care, and Burns was a bit timid as a result. Teams don't tend to play well when losing either, pressure magnified etc.

The good news with Burns is that he's been a consistent scorer for years, so even if his technique is a little idiosyncratic, it should be a consistent technique and he should know how to correct things if things go a little bit wrong, hopefully anyway.

Last edited:

Groundking

International Debutant
It's certainly true that a lot of the players haven't developed in the way that I'd of hoped since Bayliss came in.

However with Burns in mind and the comment by Starfighter, I wouldn't rule out Starfighter been right, however there are some other reasons why he may be struggling which seem more likely imo.

1). Teams work out quick how to bowl to players and adjust bowling plans and fields accordingly. Burns tends to hit very square of the wicket on the leg side. Wasn't watching too closely at the time but they may have closed off his main scoring areas.
2) The wickets haven't been good for fluent batting throughout the series. They've been two paced, with up and down bounce. Batsmen get out of rhythm and form playing on tough wickets like these.
3) If anything Burns was more defensive and timid that he has been. I would suggest that this actually came from management- and rather than asking Burns to be more aggro, it was a team edict to play with more care, and Burns was a bit timid as a result. Teams don't tend to play well when losing either, pressure magnified etc.

The good news with Burns is that he's been a consistent scorer for years, so even if his technique is a little idiosyncratic, it should be a consistent technique and he should know how to correct things if things go a little bit wrong, hopefully anyway.
1) Of course it's why the step up too test level can be so difficult. They were trying to cut off his scoring areas, but that wasn't the issue, he was struggling to even get bat to ball in his strong areas.
2) agreed it's been very difficult to score which is why it was so disappointing he got out as he had done do much of the hard work already.
3) Agree with this, plus all the (rightful) focus upon the top order cant be helping.

Hopefully as we need some body to secure a spot up the order, plus debuting away from home is always especially difficult imo.