• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Cook is a mid 30's average opener at best now and whoever partners him is worse. Root and Bairstow are great but the rest are untried or very in and out. At least the 90's sides had the excuse of facing far better attacks all over the world.

Bairstow is world class at number 7 but significantly less so in the top 5.

I would say this is a weaker top 5 than most of the 1990s sides, especially, as you say, when you consider the quality of attacks they had to face.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Why?

Gubbins for me. Burns did sweet FA for Lions in a match they dominated.
One match isn't a huge basis.

But I hope you're right. Surrey might just about maintain their push for the championship without Pope and Curran, but not without Burns.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Early days but a lot to like about Pope's body language at the crease. Looks like he wants to own this.