• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How did it become this big of a deal, I truly don't get it. It's probably because of the label cheating. This falls on one of the lowest rungs of cheating out there yet the label makes it much worse for the wear.
It was the unexpected blatentness of it, followed by the attempt to cover it up and lie to the umpires (organized by the coach!).... and then a press conference of 'admittance' that made a mockery of the whole thing, trying to protect Lehmann, and make it sound as if this was caused by a sudden irrational 'thought' and moment of madness, when clearly it was thought out and deliberate "wrong place wrong time" what the hell reasoning is that?

they basically did everything wrong in the situation.
Yeah, this. The attempt at a cover up, the look of panic on Bancroft' face, him mouthing to slip "They're onto me", Warner's sheepish expression... it was all like something out of a cartoon

Also, I don't think an entire team has ever been caught in the act so obviously that they had no choice but to admit they cheated and did it as a tactic. It's pretty unprecedented.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Matthew Guy MP

Verified account

@MatthewGuyMP
Follow Follow @MatthewGuyMP
More
Why would Steve Smith go when the example set by Victoria's Premier is that it's ok to break the rules and cheat. No leadership.

shark_jumping.gif

SeamUp

International Coach
Matthew Guy MP

Verified account

@MatthewGuyMP
Follow Follow @MatthewGuyMP
More
Why would Steve Smith go when the example set by Victoria's Premier is that it's ok to break the rules and cheat. No leadership.

shark_jumping.gif
Politicians ey.

Anything to get a cheap shot in.

michaelm

Cricket Spectator
Shane Warne is saying CA is over-reacting and shouldn't have done anything till after the game...

Ah, Shane - you poor deluded Botoxed boy.

Bolo

State Captain
Just no.

The real difference is the idiots went into a press conference and went into detail about a massive plan and conspiracy, rather than the usual plan of just denying it. If anything this whole incident goes to show the power the media has over the simple-minded public.
Every other case has been an individual (rather than a whole team) using tools (including the human body) present on a cricket pitch during the normal course of play, and didn't have this type of coverup during play. Teams have definitely done this sort of thing before, but nobody has ever been caught for anything nearly this bad.

Spark

Global Moderator
Every other case has been an individual (rather than a whole team) using tools (including the human body) present on a cricket pitch during the normal course of play, and didn't have this type of coverup during play. Teams have definitely done this sort of thing before, but nobody has ever been caught for anything nearly this bad.
Uh, bottle caps?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
That was my point- or what I was thinking. When IPL drop you, you know you messed up
Well the team talking about sacking Smith as captain was itself suspended for 2 years on corruption and match fixing charges. They are just bandwagoning. They are in no position to take moral high.

morgieb

100% agree with above. Everyone saying the buck stops with Smith as captain......but what about Lehman the coach? His job is to dictate and set the team culture.....even if he wasn't aware of this conspiracy to cheat it still happened on his watch.

Fat **** has to go IMO.
IMO I can't believe it was entirely coincidental that Australia's on-field conduct took a dive after Arthur got sacked. Lehmann has definitely fostered a team culture that has me (and no doubt other Australians) feeling embarrassed.

And while the decision to cheat was chosen by the leadership team, I'm not entirely convinced that Lehmann has nothing to do with the leadership team.

cnerd123

likes this
Regardless of if Lehman was in on the ball tampering scheme or not, the fact is that it's his team and he's supposed to be held accountable for their actions. Either he was a part of this scheme, or he has so little control on his team that this could happen on his watch. Either way he needs to go.

morgieb

Nowhere near the level of delusion of Clarke saying he would make a comeback.
Well in Clarke's defence he was answering a question about would he consider a comeback, and only said "if the right people asked". I bet a lot of people would say that.

It'd be very silly though as he hasn't played professional cricket since the 2015 Ashes, not even in the IPL or BBL. If you want an elder statesman to help restore the side's reputation, why not Bailey?