• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
One school of thought on TRJ is that years of playing a on a flat Lord's pitch and getting good results stands him in good stead for a typical Test pitch.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair buyer beware on TRJ, although to be fair to Kirtley he would have been a decent Test player without injuries and action issues. I'd bet he'd be in our current Test side.
Though Kirtley wasn't the best bowler in county cricket for a couple of seasons like TRJ has been. Not saying TRJ is going to be a superstar in tests but he showed here he deserves a decent crack at it.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really on-topic, but as I'll be incredibly annoyed by it whilst watching cricket (and football, but apparently no-one cares about that this year), are we just going to have to put up with all the Sky channels advertising, in every break and in every way, this farce of a "fight" between Mayweather-MCgregor for the whole month of August?

actually a rhetorical question, I'm just going to be the first to vent my ire about it. If you pay that kinda money for it you must be an utter bloodly doltish dunderhead.

carry on....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, but it's kind of 5th bowler/lead spinner isn't it. Not like we expect him to bowl 20 overs in a day ever, but if he can it's a nice bonus as he'll likely be bowling well.
In a side where the strength is the pace attack and the fact the next 3 series after this one will be won by the pace attacks then he has a role of filling in and then attacking on the few occasions the pitch allows. Suits him fine then that he can bat freely at 7 or 8 too.
Not saying he cannot fill that role well, just meant that his role is still lead spinner and his runs should be considered a bonus really.

Root bowled ahead of him in the first innings so clearly he's lead spinner this game.
Whatevs.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I've seen a couple of places discuss Hales batting at 5 in test cricket in the last day. I'm mean come on. It's Buttler all over again. They score a 100 in 50 over or 20 over cricket and next day people start putting them in their test teams.

It shouldn't work that way, especially the way Buttler and Hales play white ball cricket (in a fashion that doesn't easily translate to test cricket).

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
I've seen a couple of places discuss Hales batting at 5 in test cricket in the last day. I'm mean come on. It's Buttler all over again. They score a 100 in 50 over or 20 over cricket and next day people start putting them in their test teams.

It shouldn't work that way, especially the way Buttler and Hales play white ball cricket (in a fashion that doesn't easily translate to test cricket).
If only there was someone who scored a 100 in 20 over cricket and could be a good middle order player in the test team.

coughJoeClarkecough

Gnske

Can't wait to see Mark "I can't even average 35 in first class cricket" Stoneman take to test cricket. It's going to be a must see event.

grecian

Weather has been pretty awful of late. Wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty slow. Not been much in it for the spinners so far this year, seamers faired better.
Yes bumble was saying it's been slow, a shame because I like a bouncy OT pitch, the only reason Test cricket has got to go to Manchester TBPH.