• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashwin bowled 40 overs, Jadeja 15.

How has that happened. Such ****ed up captaincy. I believe the whole "spinner turning the ball away from bat is better" meme that has taken over world cricket in the last decade is significantly to blame.

I'm not saying that turning the ball away isn't potentially advantageous, but the way it's been hyped up and affected teams tactics, in T20 especially, is excessive to say the least.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

How has that happened. Such ****ed up captaincy. I believe the whole "spinner turning the ball away from bat is better" meme that has taken over world cricket in the last decade is significantly to blame.

I'm not saying that turning the ball away isn't potentially advantageous, but the way it's been hyped up and affected teams tactics, in T20 especially, is excessive to say the least.
I think Kohli took the whole "Ha-ha if Lyon can do this, just wait and see what Ashwin can do in 40 overs!" far too seriously as the day has gone on.

Hope someone from the Australian camp has a right old jab at him after today.

Top_Cat

Kohli suffering from the same affliction Ponting did with Johnson, SL with Murali, Taylor with Warne, etc. You've got a big gun, bowl them into the ground but NFI what to do if they're played well.

Top_Cat

India, one feels, a bowler short in these conditions. If you're only going to have 4 bowlers, those guys have to all be top-notch. They must be feeling absolutely hammered right now. Even taking into account the deck, going to be real hard for them to back up tomorrow.

There are runs tomorrow if these guys get through.

Last edited:

Gnske

Actually it was Rahul that made the quip about Ashwin running through them.

They're just destined to lose this series.

Bijed

International Regular

Just anecdotally I think the difference in Swann's record vs left-handers from vs right-handers was fairly major and I think it is a fairly significant difference as part of a wider trend. Might have a bit of a look into the numbers. That said, on any given day, a spinner who turns it in to the batsman and is taking wickets > one who turns it away but isn't.

Also agree with the bolded a lot.

cnerd123

likes this
India, one feels, a bowler short in these conditions. If you're only going to have 4 bowlers, those guys have to all be top-notch. They must be feeling absolutely hammered right now. Even taking into account the deck, going to be real hard for them to back up tomorrow.

There are runs tomorrow if these guys get through.
It's why Jayant was so useful. Let Ashwin and Jaddu stay fresh.

They'll probably drop Rahane for him next test when we're 2-0 down

Ashwin has been so bleh. Building absolutely no pressure. Not really in rhythm. And being overbowled to boot.

Finally more Jaddu.

TheJediBrah

Really dawning on me how smart this batting is from Aus. Time is key, and runs from here are just a bonus. All they have to do is occupy the crease, wait for the pitch to further deteriorate and the Indians to get worn out. Really no need to take any risks to score.

Getting to 300 in another 50 overs is almost preferable than getting to 330 in another 30 overs.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He's more prone to getting injured and then forgotten than anything else.
Yeah I guess my thinking is influenced in part by how much your average cricket fan in Australia hates him and thinks he never makes any runs. His record hasn't been too bad overall, but he still scores a much higher percentage of his runs in difficult conditions/against good bowling than anyone else I can think of, and rarely seems to cash in when the runs are there for the taking.

TheJediBrah

Really dawning on me how smart this batting is from Aus. Time is key, and runs from here are just a bonus. All they have to do is occupy the crease, wait for the pitch to further deteriorate and the Indians to get worn out. Really no need to take any risks to score.

Getting to 300 in another 50 overs is almost preferable than getting to 330 in another 30 overs.
Maybe I was giving them too much credit

Son Of Coco

Bah, pity to see Marsh go. It's been a massive effort to get a lead in these conditions. Hope we can push it up to near 100. It could just as easily only be 40ish though...