• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

S Africa calls for its players to stay

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well at franchise level the quota is 6 non white players and 2 of those have to be "black". And black players generally bowl.

Even Merchant de lange who has a CSA contract has to sit out the odd game.
That makes no sense.

1. Warriors have at least 1-2 black players who are in the team as batsmen every game. I know Ngeope gas been playing regularly since moving to the franchise this year.

2. Abbott averages 22 with the ball at first class and international level. Even if some bowling spots are taken up due to the quota, he comfortably finds a place is the team. Under a 'worst case' scenario he still walks into the side with Harmer, Walters plus another black bowler.

Abbott is comfortably the best player the Warriors have on their books at the moment. I can't see how it's credible at all to claim that he'd find it easier to get a spot on the national team than at domestic level.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
That makes no sense.

1. Warriors have at least 1-2 black players who are in the team as batsmen every game. I know Ngeope gas been playing regularly since moving to the franchise this year.

2. Abbott averages 22 with the ball at first class and international level. Even if some bowling spots are taken up due to the quota, he comfortably finds a place is the team. Under a 'worst case' scenario he still walks into the side with Harmer, Walters plus another black bowler.

Abbott is comfortably the best player the Warriors have on their books at the moment. I can't see how it's credible at all to claim that he'd find it easier to get a spot on the national team than at domestic level.
Your right and it will also get easier woth Harmer also leaving for greener pastures.

Worst case scenario abott is selected, but it would have to be at the disposal of another white player. I wonder what effect that has?

Also what happened to Gqamane? Has he fallen so far to be labelled a token?

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
That makes no sense.

Your post makes sense. Abott will likely play of available. However ot does not change hpw ridiculous the situation trully is.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A typical Test career these days seems to be to retire from Test Cricket before becoming a globe-trotting Twenty20 merchant. Could Abbot not pursue this course? If you desire the longer form and/or County Cricket (a worthwhile pursuit) you can still do this: Sangakkara plays for Surrey and does the T20 franchises; Kane Williamson picks up the odd First-Rate game for Yorkshire.
Seems to be difficult for fast bowlers to become T20 guns-for-hire. Not sure why exactly but seems that a lot of quality Test and ODI bowlers simply aren't as good at T20 cricket as the local bowlers & all rounders that play for a lot less money. I'd be very surprised if Abbott had any success at all as a T20 franchise merchant.

Even Sangakkara is struggling big-time in the BBL right now.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Your right and it will also get easier woth Harmer also leaving for greener pastures.

Worst case scenario abott is selected, but it would have to be at the disposal of another white player. I wonder what effect that has?

Also what happened to Gqamane? Has he fallen so far to be labelled a token?
Gqamane is still around and played recently, I assume he was just injured (?) earlier this year. He certainly isn't a token pick - he is a good, young bowler and should make the team on merit when he's available.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Your post makes sense. Abott will likely play of available. However ot does not change hpw ridiculous the situation trully is.
I don't think the system is that ridiculous. The quotas do distort team selection to a degree but I don't think there have been many outrageous situations or a noticeable decrease in the quality of the cricket as a result.

I think a lot of the 'ridiculousness' of the quota system is more based on fear-mongering and preconceived notions that more coloured players inherently means a lower quality if cricket. I think the situation is far less dire than its made out to be and will hopefully benefit South African cricket in the long run.

DriveClub

International Regular
I don't think the system is that ridiculous. The quotas do distort team selection to a degree but I don't think there have been many outrageous situations or a noticeable decrease in the quality of the cricket as a result.

I think a lot of the 'ridiculousness' of the quota system is more based on fear-mongering and preconceived notions that more coloured players inherently means a lower quality if cricket. I think the situation is far less dire than its made out to be and will hopefully benefit South African cricket in the long run.
I hope so, SA has always had awesome teams in all formats

SeamUp

International Coach
Gqamane is still around and played recently, I assume he was just injured (?) earlier this year. He certainly isn't a token pick - he is a good, young bowler and should make the team on merit when he's available.
No, he was just not producing performances and couldn't even crack the 3 'best black players'

SeamUp

International Coach

Any system that doesn't have it's best players playing at every available opportunity is a system that will fail.

Right now we are seeing 'A' team players leaving, Proteas players leaving, 18 year-old and younger talents leaving and they are the same colour skin.

A system that produces talent can only keep providing Protea players so long. There will be times where we will need hardened pro's like recent times but our lower levels won't be providing.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Why don't they just study a qualification while playing and get a job when their careers done like players used to, and a lot of players still do at county cricket level.

DriveClub

International Regular
Why don't they just study a qualification while playing and get a job when their careers done like players used to, and a lot of players still do at county cricket level.
Most of the sports people aren't really bright up top and it would be really hard to concentrate on both, not everyone will be able to do it. It's not any different to a qualified professional working overseas for better pay. It's only when cricketers do it the patriotic angle comes into play.

SeamUp

International Coach
When you are professional you cannot study.

The semi-pro's and amateurs do study in South Africa.

SeamUp

International Coach
Keaton Jennings is studying accountancy and even drew his own contract up with Durham.
In SA you cannot study full-time if you are a pro cricketer so I am sure some do study while playing like Stephen Cook is a lawyer. Not sure about others but in the past it was definitely done more like Boeta Dippenaar (pilot), Gary Kirsten (accountant). Obviously done far more as you go back.

But you also got to deal with BBBEE in South Africa in business world as well.

DriveClub

International Regular
In SA you cannot study full-time if you are a pro cricketer so I am sure some do study while playing like Stephen Cook is a lawyer. Not sure about others but in the past it was definitely done more like Boeta Dippenaar (pilot), Gary Kirsten (accountant). Obviously done far more as you go back.

But you also got to deal with BBBEE in South Africa in business world as well.
Damn thats impressive, I thought every cricketer was like Warner, batsmen seem to be smart compared to fast bowlers

SeamUp

International Coach
Tristan Holme ‏@tristanholme 2m2 minutes ago
Abbott says he signed the deal during his time in county cricket last year. Has woken up some mornings since wondering if he made right call

Tristan Holme ‏@tristanholme 51s51 seconds ago
Meanwhile, Rilee Rossouw confirms via a statement that he has also signed a three-year deal with Hampshire.

SeamUp

International Coach
Tristan Holme ‏@tristanholme 48s48 seconds ago
Abbott says his commitment can't be questioned. "If I wasn't committed, I would have done this a long time ago."

Marius

International Debutant
Tristan Holme ‏@tristanholme 2m2 minutes ago
Abbott says he signed the deal during his time in county cricket last year. Has woken up some mornings since wondering if he made right call

Tristan Holme ‏@tristanholme 51s51 seconds ago
Meanwhile, Rilee Rossouw confirms via a statement that he has also signed a three-year deal with Hampshire.
Rilee too? Bliksem.

Good news for Theunis de Bruyn though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rilee too? Bliksem.

Good news for Theunis de Bruyn though.
Yup statement confirms he needs it for his young family's security.

Problem is that while Theunis is talented he wasn't as ready as Rilee ito adaptability in different conditions and experience but he is a smart cookie and was given leadership at a young age and obviously hugely talented.

But who is next ?

Last edited: