• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2016/17

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I had to pick my weakness as a batsman, I think "world class attack featuring the quickest and best seamers on the planet" would be one I'd be happy with.

Smith's the best batsman in the world in the longer format. He just piles on runs.
Not sure he's ahead of Root. Right now it's probably Root & Smith tied, with Kohli clipping at their heels.

KRIS 148

School Boy/Girl Captain
I noticed a different approach by Smith against spin today. He looked to be playing more from the crease rather than dancing down to meet the ball. Reason he edged behind I reckon.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not sure he's ahead of Root. Right now it's probably Root & Smith tied, with Kohli clipping at their heels.
I'd agree re: Root if he dropped his supremely irritating penchant for making pretty 40-70 scores then throwing it away. Really don't know why he still hasn't ironed that out, but as it stands it does mean you always feel a little more in the game with him relative to Smith and KW.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He has been lucky...Australia as a team had a lucky day..but this is also described as having a good day in test cricket.
Is being dropped once and not given for potential dismissals that the opposition didn't think merited and appeal any luckier than any other innings? Not like three or four have been put down off him.

Spark

Global Moderator
Is being dropped once and not given for potential dismissals that the opposition didn't think merited and appeal any luckier than any other innings? Not like three or four have been put down off him.
I mean it's certainly fortunate. I don't think it's quite Hussey-in-the-2010/11-Ashes fortunate though, bloke could barely get to 20 without nicking it five times through slips but he always seemed to get through.

Zinzan

I'd agree re: Root if he dropped his supremely irritating penchant for making pretty 40-70 scores then throwing it away. Really don't know why he still hasn't ironed that out, but as it stands it does mean you always feel a little more in the game with him relative to Smith and KW.
It's actually been KW who's been finding innocuous ways to get dismissed in the last 12 months when looking comfortable and set for a big one.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's actually been KW who's been finding innocuous ways to get dismissed in the last 12 months when looking comfortable and set for a big one.
Yeah I have seen that but with Root it's happened for so long now that you can't just put it down to a weird run, it is a legitimate problem with him.

Part of it is that I still he hasn't fully corrected his front foot technique, which used to be terrible and is now very good, but not quite as good as he sometimes thinks it is when he throws his hands at wide balls. But that doesn't explain dumb **** like putting it down long off's throat like he did a few weeks back, that's the sort of stuff the other three just don't do.

It's annoying because I think that when the heat is on, he's the best of the lot.

Burgey

Almost as useful as yours.

I have no problem with Smith scoring runs, he's good at what he does and no team seems to work out that they can't bowl their usual areas and expect to have any success against him. He looks decidedly average when high quality pace bowlers are going at him and the ball is moving and he's got one of the worst aesthetics in cricket, but credit to him, he knows how to score runs in these conditions.

What I do have a problem with is people that don't seem to think he's lucky to have been dropped, to have edged one without any appeal and to have had several close-ish LBW shouts against the leggie.
Mate, *every* batsman looks average when high quality fast bowling is at them when the ball is moving. It's always been that way.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think you average 58 across 48 tests without having skill to back it up. Sure he could decline or whatever, and SA had his measure to some extent, but he's been fantastic these past couple of years.
Starfighter this is a weird post because no one questioned about his skills here now except blocky. If that's your answer to blocky then all good but otherwise I've not seen anyone questioning about his skills to get runs however it may come. This sort of post makes you aussies look like getting defensive way too often whenever something has been said about Smith.

Gob

International Coach
I don't think you average 58 across 48 tests without having skill to back it up. Sure he could decline or whatever, and SA had his measure to some extent, but he's been fantastic these past couple of years.
Nah its just Blocky bollocks. Averages 60 something in SA and anyone who saw him in the last series would know he had no real issues.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Starfighter this is a weird post because no one questioned about his skills here now except blocky. If that's your answer to blocky then all good but otherwise I've not seen anyone questioning about his skills to get runs however it may come. This sort of post makes you aussies look like getting defensive way too often whenever something has been said about Smith.
Yeah, that was targeted at Blocky.

TheJediBrah

Almost as useful as yours.

I have no problem with Smith scoring runs, he's good at what he does and no team seems to work out that they can't bowl their usual areas and expect to have any success against him. He looks decidedly average when high quality pace bowlers are going at him and the ball is moving and he's got one of the worst aesthetics in cricket, but credit to him, he knows how to score runs in these conditions.

What I do have a problem with is people that don't seem to think he's lucky to have been dropped, to have edged one without any appeal and to have had several close-ish LBW shouts against the leggie.
Did anyone at any stage say that he wasn't lucky? This is like the 4th or 5th time you or Zinzan has said this and it literally has no basis. I don't get why you keep insisting it as though someone is arguing against you.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The Aussies should stop being sensitive fanboys. Beginning to look like Sachin and the Indians.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
16 hundreds in 48 Tests is some conversion rate.
and this is why i can't take the 'root is the leading test match batsman' argument seriously.

blokes conversion rate is by far the worst of the big 4. just doesn't get to three figures enough.

edit: i was beaten to it.

Last edited: