• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

cnerd123

likes this
But yea to steal what I posted on Reddit:

This isn't the worst selection in the world tbh.

He's a decent keeper and 'can bat' and has experience at this level...so I can see the selectors thought process if they want a short-term solution. All the other good options (Pant, Samson) are too young or not 'proper' keepers (Uthappa, Lokesh Rahul).

Having said that, wasn't Naman Ojha our backup? And what has Karthik done to be blacklisted...outside of sleeping with Vijay's wife. Okay that's a stupid question I take that back. But Naman Ojha? No?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Parthiv seems to have played a lot more FC games at this point, I guess that's why they went for him, still a bit of a shame that we have to resort to PP as a backup keeper though.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Parthiv is still only 30 or something isnt he? I remember his debut in England in 2002 but it seems like he has been around forever.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he's probably the earliest debutant amongst any current cricketer in India after Harbhajan.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was a Gujarat vs MP Ranji match a few days ago, meaning Parthiv and Ojha went head to head. Parthiv scored 49 and 139. Ojha scored 28 and 52.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pant needs to play more FC anyways. Parthiv is a decent choice. Have no idea how good or bad DK's keeping is right now.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If Parthiv keeps well, I will be happy. With Ash jaddu Jayant and Bhuvi in the side, his runs are not that crucial.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pant needs to play more FC anyways. Parthiv is a decent choice. Have no idea how good or bad DK's keeping is right now.
Yeah, there's no obvious choice and I'm sure they considered all three of Ojha, Patel and Karthik. It's not a bad selection by any means, and considering none of us watch Ranji enough to comment on where their batting is at the moment it could well be the right one.

Member Berry

U19 Cricketer
Is Parthiv still as **** of a keeper to spinners as he was when he first started out? I remember the fat, Eric Cartman looking **** single-handedly trying to destroy Murali Kartik's career but barely getting any criticism from our Indian commentators because he resembled a chubby 8 year old. Think he might've driven Kumble to a couple of murders too.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pant has a touch of Yuvraj/Raina in the way he plays, though he isn't as refined. Check this out:

Last edited:

Member Berry

U19 Cricketer
Looks more Jayasuriya than Yuvraj to me. Anyway, at this point, at least in the short term, I don't think batting should be the primary concern for someone replacing Saha because it's not like he gives us much in that department anyway, and there's Ashwin, Jayant and maybe Bhuvi to pick up the slack. What India can't afford at home is a dodgy keeper.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Looks more Jayasuriya than Yuvraj to me. Anyway, at this point, at least in the short term, I don't think batting should be the primary concern for someone replacing Saha because it's not like he gives us much in that department anyway, and there's Ashwin, Jayant and maybe Bhuvi to pick up the slack. What India can't afford at home is a dodgy keeper.
Two shots that are slightly like Yuvi's: His backfoot pull and his down the track lofted cover drive/punch. His leg side shots against spinners reminds me of Raina's hits. But yeah, Yuvraj's balance was something else and maybe I jumped the gun a bit.:p

So yeah, he almost looks nothing like Yuvi and kinda like Raina.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Rishabh Pant is a left hander. **** these clowns.

Yeah but we dunno how his keeping is. With the cordon being what it is for us (I mean, Kohli, FFS) we need a good keeper first. Not saying that Parthiv is better than DK but these selectors do watch more domestic cricket than we do and if they have been feeling Parthiv is a better keeper than DK at the moment and Pant is too young to get a go already, it makes sense.

The last time I saw Parthiv keep regularly he was a million miles away from the keeper DK can be even on a bad day for DK. But it is DK's fault that he has left the keeping to be done by another youngster for TN in the last 3 games. I just hope Parthiv has improved his keeping by leaps and bounds as he will still be a level below test class even then but at least it will make less painful viewing