• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
These two bats have some really weird techniques against spin.
And very effective
Tbh, a lot of times the very technique that helps you score on roads is what gets you in trouble on pitches that start helping the bowlers, whether it is seam or spin.

The approach that England have used is pretty much the natural game of all the Aussie batsmen. They're not good enough to survive by nudging and nurdling anyway, might as well hit the spinners off their lines.
I dont think there is any truth to some kinda Aussie bravado approach, for starters. And secondly, Root and Ali used a very considered and methodical approach. They got in on a flat track and played a few no risk shots for boundaries to spread the field, then milked the spinners all day and then when they got desperate and tried to attack again, they hit them off their lengths as well as pushed the field back. Stokes and Bairstow just cashed in on their hardwork, esp. coz Stokes had about 9 lives.

I made that joke first and you get duffers' like

Lifes so not fair

Joni geting credit at CW for something that someone else said first. Color me surprised. :p

When 2 wickets in an innings is a failure and not showing up as considered by few here, it shows how good Ashwin has become.
Lol at all the hatred for Ashwin, esp. from a couple of the English posters. Will be interesting how it goes by the end of the series...

Hope Bhuvi comes back asap. His control along with Shami's will keep sides from posting mammoth totals.
Nah, Bhuvi will be even bigger baggage on such tracks. Umesh and Shami are very similar as bowlers though. Would have preferred Ishant, as stupid as it seems to type out.

Well not going to say he is a total minnow basher yet as it may come back to bite us in the ass but he was poor last time we toured and despite being the pick of the spin bowlers here he rarely threatened. We do seem to play him very well which is funny given we are regarded as a poor side versus spin.
I just think it is because he keeps going for wickets. Sometimes it does pay to go the Harbhajan route. Jadeja does it better even now, hence MSD preferring him over Ash in those overseas tests, as bad a decision as it may have been in hindsight, esp. when we were playing 4.5 bowlers with Binny in there. He needs to learn to bowl dry. It separates the good from the great when it comes to bowlers.

Woodster

International Captain
Be a good test for this England attack tomorrow, and hopefully we'll see the benefit of having six very viable options. There's little signs of deterioration today in the pitch and we should see more of that tomorrow, and more consistently in terms of spin. I thought Moeen bowled nicely today, I still think the seamers will probably build more pressure and when it reverses, look the more threatening. Woakes second spell offered hope aswell in terms of the control he bowled with.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cottam's run up is mental.
There were a few like that back then - John Price had one that amazed me as a kid, and Peter Lever as well - later Lever straightened his run and gained a yard of pace and that seems to have taught everyone a lesson

fredfertang

One think I hope the new Stokes does is cause Ian Botham to have a long hard look at himself and see what he squandered

mr_mister

yeah botham's test career (when looking at longevity awards like centuries and wickets - not averages and strike rates) is one of the most impressive ever