• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wow so Smith was 2.8m down the crease

does the technology even work optimally at those distances
I haven't really been following what this whole discussion has been about (don't watch the lunch time show), but just watching the replay live I think it's more than fair to say that the Smith lbw was a very questionable decision.

I wouldn't trust the technology at that distance at all. Not saying it was definitively "wrong", but probably should have been given not out.

Not that anyone should complain, the decision was proven to be at least close.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Now for the "you can't be given out from around the wicket when the ball hits above the knee roll" discussion about Marsh's LBW :p

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I haven't really been following what this whole discussion has been about (don't watch the lunch time show), but just watching the replay live I think it's more than fair to say that the Smith lbw was a very questionable decision.

I wouldn't trust the technology at that distance at all. Not saying it was definitively "wrong", but probably should have been given not out.
Apparently there was a change to 3m... assuming it came out recently after the testing of the system.

OverratedSanity

It's umpires call because it's uncertain. Technology has its limits.

Uncertain isn't a reason to call the umpire wrong.

It's why I said he was 'correct enough' in his decision for it to be accepted as the correct decision. It was so tight that even technology couldn't confirm nor deny it, so we decided to stick with the original call because ultimately we have to make a decision one way or another, and without conclusive enough evidence to show the umpire as being wrong, why will be decide that he is wrong.

So ultimately, the umpire wasn't wrong.

So to continue to argue that the umpire was wrong is to argue against the facts that are present to us.

Which is scummy.
Thats all well and good. Buy its absolutely not black and white like you were suggesting.

Starfighter

Hope Smith gets about 60-odd next innings just to stop the sort of faff that's dominated the past couple of pages.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
What absolute rubbish *****

By your logic then every bad decision that was given before DRS was invented was the right decision because the law says that the umpires decision is final, therefore it must be the right decision
You are taking this debate to a wrong direction.

Dar gave it out because he thought the ball was hitting the stumps. End of. And Dan cleared about the benefit of the doubt thing.

So what do you expect from Dar that to give it not out even if he thinks its going to hit stumps?

Starfighter

Am I the only person who doesn't give Steyn much time left? He's been injured a lot recently, and this one's pretty serious, and he's 33, which is pretty close to when many quick guys begin to fade.

OverratedSanity

Am I the only person who doesn't give Steyn much time left? He's been injured a lot recently, and this one's pretty serious, and he's 33, which is pretty close to when many quick guys begin to fade.
Yep. Not looking good. Especially when the same injury keeps flaring up repeatedly.

Burgey

Do I trigger you too? :(
Just having a lend man.

Too much seriousness in here about the decision when the real issue is starting tomorrow I'm spending a week here, so you can all gagf:

While you lot suffer through a weekend arguing over whether Dar got that decision right, I'll be sitting in that pool like a ****ing beached whale yelling out to the chef telling him what to cook me for breakfast.

It will be a hearty breakfast, full of bacon, eggs, fresh veggies and also fruit. With Bloody Marys to boot. Which is why Seminyak produces so many great players.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
There is a part of me that's saying that but I don't want to hear it