• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Stace

First Class Debutant
I'm pretty sure Ponting wouldn't talk total trash about Dar, like Warne did here even if he disagreed with the decision. Even though Ponting had a massive bust up with Dar back in 2011 in Melbourne. Warne's just a petty prick.
Ponting just said it was a fantastic decision, love him these days.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, remove the umpire from the DRS decision entirely, and what's the point of having an umpire? Mechanise no balls, check leg byes vs runs with super slow mo, hawkeye all LBWs and snicko the caught behinds, use the cameras to check borderline fours.

Get a security guard out at square leg to stop player fights and any old bloke in a white coat to signal things to the crowd, and you're sweet.
Why not though?

If you end up not needing umpires one day then just **** them off entirely

Tom Flint

International Regular
Well it was umpires call rather than 3 reds so if it wasn't given smith wouldn't be out. The argument is based on that sort of decision usually wouldn't have been given.
My point is that if aus had no reviews left it would have been a risky call and he could have looked stupid if proved wrong. As they had reviews in the bank they could contest it and get the decision overturned but the umpire was right after all

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
but mah traditions

which i what i'm arguing for with the ol' get out of your crease to negate the LB

i'll continue to do it all the time on the weekend and gleefully accept my not out decisions

Gnske

Interesting what this reveals about the underlying nature of CW posters

If you agree with the decision you seem to be a good man

If you disagree you're absolute scum unworthy of an audience.

Really shows what the game can do.

cnerd123

likes this
Interesting what this reveals about the underlying nature of CW posters

If you agree with the decision you seem to be a good man

If you disagree you're absolute scum unworthy of an audience.

Really shows what the game can do.
It's fair IMO. This isn't a subjective question with grey areas. It's black and white. Out or not. And it was proven to be Out. So to continue to argue with the fact that it's out is to basically argue against the truth. Which is scummy

StephenZA

The 2.5 m rule.... I thought it became umpires decision. So if given out stayed, not out stayed. It was that 2.5m DRS considered inaccurate, I think that`s changed since then though.

So this game has gone pretty much as predicted so far. Strong Aus top order dodgy middle order going into a long tail. SA dodgy opening pair, middle order weak. But longish batting with QDK at 7. And both teams having a bowling line-up that could turn the game in a session....

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's fair IMO. This isn't a subjective question with grey areas. It's black and white. Out or not. And it was proven to be Out. So to continue to argue with the fact that it's out is to basically argue against the truth. Which is scummy
Nah it's not black and white. Hawkeye isn't perfect. It was probably a 50-50 decision. Fine with it going either way. Just move on imo.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
also I always thought doubt had to go to the batsmen with LBW stuff. and there was plenty of doubt with Steve that far down the wicket, I'm agree with burgey, it was a bloody guess and he got lucky. not what i want from umpires
how do we know though? opposite could be said which might come across true as well unless we are telepathically connecting with dar's mind. remove smith from the picture and it looks out

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
also I always thought doubt had to go to the batsmen with LBW stuff. and there was plenty of doubt with Steve that far down the wicket, I'm agree with burgey, it was a bloody guess and he got lucky. not what i want from umpires
Nah, that's rule-of-thumb developed when sawing off a bloke LBW mattered more because he had no recourse against a decision, and park umpires are actually pretty ****. Still fundamentally good to use in park cricket IMO, but when the tech is there to overturn the aggressive LBW decisions if they're wrong, the umpires should be giving them if they think the ball is hitting the stumps (and all other criteria are satisfied).

In a game where the balance has shifted further and further to the batsman, I have no issue whatsoever with aggressive LBWs being given, considering errors will be overturned and the marginal ones are actually out.