• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Bangladesh 2016

Bijed

International Regular
Moeen's OK as a 3rd spinner with an occasionally golden arm.
Batty may improve. It would only be natural if he was nervous on his first match back after such a long absence, and I thought he got better throughout this game.

Jack Leach must be wondering wtf he had to do to be selected for this tour.
Yeah, this. I reckon that if we had a decent front-line spinner and Moeen was a backup option he'd have a decent record for that role and would be genuinely handy as a partnership breaker. I guess you'd want him averaging closer to 40 with the bat for him to justify a regular place in the side in that role, though.

As for Leach I do think he should be on the tour, guess he still might go to India?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The spinners didn't bowl as badly as being made out on here at all.
I thought they were ok, better than I expected really as I thought Batty would be even more useless than the others. Rashid bowled ok, chucked in a lot of bad balls but looked dangerous and Moeen was the pick of them. They need to improve if we are to give India a game but it wasn't a bad start to the winter.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, this. I reckon that if we had a decent front-line spinner and Moeen was a backup option he'd have a decent record for that role and would be genuinely handy as a partnership breaker. I guess you'd want him averaging closer to 40 with the bat for him to justify a regular place in the side in that role, though.

As for Leach I do think he should be on the tour, guess he still might go to India?
I think Moeen has a bit of leeway batting in the top 5 as so many of the alternatives have massively underwhelmed. But you are right that he needs to improve that average to make us all feel a bit happier about him playing in that role.

As for Leach, I don't really know why Ansari was picked ahead of him as the SLA option. I hope he goes to India though. I think the side has enough lower order batting to pick a bowler who doesn't contribute with the bat.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He backed his best bowlers. Broad and Stokes are better bowlers than the spinners he had. I'd do exactly the same thing (and always did, at a much lower level). You go to your best bowlers.

Also, some blokes are clutch players and some guys are mercurial and jag results (Botham, Warne, Flintoff). Reckon Stokes has that about him.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I am happy to take this loss than watching BD folding in the next series/matches. Not saying they would not stand up in the next matches/series had they won but it would be more saddening if they won and get pummelled in the next few. Hope they keep on pushing the bigger boys and win will eventually come. We are losing matches but consistency is obviously there for everyone to see. Atm there seems to be a mental block when coming closer to the finishing line. Chandika along with the players will have to work on this aspect. Not too disappointed with the loss and hoping for another cracker in mirpur.

Also Broad WAG

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Think England spinners bowled within their (or at least my) expected ranges.

Ali was probably the best but benefited from the left handers. All 5 of his wickets were left handers. He didn't bowl very well to the right handers in general. Always reluctant to go around the wicket to to the right hander which I feel would help him out a lot when it's turning a lot. Worry is for India that their top 8 could conceivably all be right hand. That's why I reckon they could give Ansari a go in the next test instead of one of the spinners.

Batty less action on the ball but more streetsmarts.

Rashid bowled ok but in a low scoring game his regular bad balls become even more problematic. Isn't ever going to be trusted in test cricket.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Rashid and Ali are too similar for me. Wicket taking deliveries mixed in with a lot of bad balls. If England go to India with them in tandem bowling such a mixed bag then they are going to be in trouble. It got them in trouble in this match.

It's been a common trend with visiting teams to India, the Indian team feeds on the bad balls bowled by the spinners,even if the good balls get wickets.

Perhaps Batty edges in front of Rashid now? I really don't know much about Ansari. Is he in the Jadeja mould with his SLA?

cnerd123

likes this
Rashid and Ali are too similar for me. Wicket taking deliveries mixed in with a lot of bad balls. If England go to India with them in tandem bowling such a mixed bag then they are going to be in trouble. It got them in trouble in this match.

It's been a common trend with visiting teams to India, the Indian team feeds on the bad balls bowled by the spinners,even if the good balls get wickets.

Perhaps Batty edges in front of Rashid now? I really don't know much about Ansari. Is he in the Jadeja mould with his SLA?
Yesssss the day has come.

Other countries now want their own versions of Jadeja

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yay.

So I would definitely be looking to play Ansari in the next match, possibly instead of Rashid. It's vital we get this spin combination right against India; not to sell Bangladesh short, it isn't like Rashid is making a great case. I'd also consider resting Woakes, who is probably the least important bowler in these conditions, not to say he didn't do pretty well. He's had a packed summer, I think it would be wise to try out Ball or Finn. Squad depth could be key.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Yesssss the day has come.

Other countries now want their own versions of Jadeja
Who wouldn't want a Jadeja in their team in Asia? Haha. I fully believe that his accuracy and economy allow Ashwin to just focus on taking wickets.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Who wouldn't want a Jadeja in their team in Asia? Haha. I fully believe that his accuracy and economy allow Ashwin to just focus on taking wickets.
Yea India's best spinner is world's best spinner. And India's 2nd spinner is world's best 2nd spinner.

so good

Howe_zat

Audio File
Think Ansari will play the next Test ahead of Batty. When Sabbir and Mushfiqur were getting on top of the off spin by hitting with the turn most comms were crying out for a SLA bowler who could keep it tight. Moeen bowled better than Batty in this test and Woakes looked fairly innocuous suggesting that more seam isn't the way to go.

cnerd123

likes this
Think Ansari will play the next Test ahead of Batty. When Sabbir and Mushfiqur were getting on top of the off spin by hitting with the turn most comms were crying out for a SLA bowler who could keep it tight. Moeen bowled better than Batty in this test and Woakes looked fairly innocuous suggesting that more seam isn't the way to go.
Did you put eating any other piece of clothing on stake when you claimed Ansari would never play more than just 1 test on the Podcast?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally I would bring Ansari in for Rashid. I just don't see in what circumstances you'd want Rashid to bowl and when the ball is turning square then you want someone to just land the thing consistently. If it's not doing much then England should win with their seamers anyway.