• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

smash84

The Tiger King
i think this is a very good decision by cook to bat again, grinding the pak bowlers in the dust will be very good for England for the rest of the series.

Compton

International Debutant
The only reason why following on is something people want to see is because they don't like the batting side delaying the game in this way. If people could admit that I'd be okay with it.
That's patently not true. The evidence for that is literally every post saying that England should have enforced the follow on that state other reasons.

You've just set out your opinion as if it's fact then criticised everyone for wanting a follow-on for reasons that you've imagined up :laugh:

igorbalis

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'll be more inclined to support the decision not to enforce follow-on if we have a massive ****ing slog. If we see people padding away part-time spinners like Bairstow yesterday I won't be delighted.

Howe_zat

Audio File
That's patently not true. The evidence for that is literally every post saying that England should have enforced the follow on that state other reasons.

You've just set out your opinion as if it's fact then criticised everyone for wanting a follow-on for reasons that you've imagined up :laugh:
It's the biggest myth in cricket. I'm aware that this opinion isn't the consensus, this doesn't stop me from having it.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You're telling me Wahab can't do what he did against the rest of the bowlers to Moeen? Sarfraz was nearly out twice in his first 3 deliveries flailing after wide stuff. You're saying he doesn't have the skill to watch the first few go at the very least?
Wahab was surviving through luck, not skill. If he played a shot like that with Misbah around, I would agree with the criticism because you should just be supporting your captain, whether by way of luck or skill or whatever you can muster. Once Misbah was gone, makes sense to try to score whatever you can.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
i think this is a very good decision by cook to bat again, grinding the pak bowlers in the dust will be very good for England for the rest of the series.
Again that would make sense if the third test was in 4 days time. It's not. There is almost an 8 day break, even more if this match ends early.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
It's the biggest myth in cricket. I'm aware that this opinion isn't the consensus, this doesn't stop me from having it.
I'm placing this opinion with the ECB approach to one-day batting

Just because many teams overuse the follow on does not mean it's a blanket bad option in every single case and each single case should be considered on its merits.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More I think about it I guess not enforcing the follow on was the right move. Declaring with a couple overs to go today, overnight, or early tomorrow would mean rest for the bowlers and then there's still two whole days to bowl them out with fresh bowlers.

Last edited:

Compton

International Debutant
I'm not criticising your opinion because it's not the consensus. I'm not criticising your opinion at all. More just pointing out that you're setting up your own reasons for people wanting the follow-on and then arguing with those, rather than engaging with the actual reasons people are/were calling for it.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They won't set 400 with two full days to go. Not even McCullum or Clarke would try a stunt like that. :laugh:

91Jmay

International Coach
We are surely just batting to close now? Runs are irrelevant - we already have more than enough. Must be about resting bowlers, due to the huge punishing first innings workload

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm placing this opinion with the ECB approach to one-day batting

Just because many teams overuse the follow on does not mean it's a blanket bad option in every single case and each single case should be considered on its merits.
You are correct and the fact that England have enforced the follow on roughly half the time in the last few years says that's precisely the approach they take.

The main reason I get wound up is because it isn't an important decision, there are plenty of good reasons not to do it and you should enforce the follow on when you feel you need to, but not enforcing the follow on absolutely dominates discussion, and always without question draws criticism. It's get-on-with-it-itis, armchair psychology nonsense, jumping to rail against 'defensiveness' (even though the point of 'enforce to protect your top order wickets' is by far the most defensive suggestion I've heard today) and an extra helping of historical revisionism (Steve Waugh always enforced the follow on apparently).

Just a big melting pot of everything in cricket commenting that winds me up.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Damn been busy today out walking and missed out on the opportunity, live at least, to comment on one of the dumbest decisions in the history of cricket.

I don't care what Aussies think, because they've constantly made bone-headed decisions regarding declarations and follow-ons since their defeat in India. Hell they even forget the time England lost declaring on 550odd in some hypothetical Ashes whitewash which never happened.