• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Like I'm all for Gambhiring, but the idea that this isn't evenly poised and Pak are well on top is a bit silly.

Odds:

Eng 1.96
Pak 2.68
Draw 8.2

Howe_zat

Audio File
I usually agree and despise Gambhiring, but I genuinely think those odds underrate Pakistan. They're not exactly reliable but they're on top because they're playing well.

Woakes will need to play probably his best innings (and best innings for 5 years in Broad's case) to carry us into a first innings lead, and this new bowling attack looked shaky on day one. I think if it were Australia in this position and not Pakistan then they would be favourites, but based on reputation because Australia are not actually a better test team (outside of Australia) right now. Pakistan beat us comfortably in the UAE and while I don't expect this series to be exactly the same, this Test match is bearing a lot of the same signs right now:

England's attack looks good early on but the Pakistan middle order uses its strengths wisely, and Moeen is struggling. England can't pick Yasir and repeatedly get out for 20s and 30s after Root is out.

I said on Thursday that Pakistan's innings was very reminiscent of the second test in the UAE and now England's is as well.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It doesn't matter if you think one team will win or the other, the fact is both results are in play and if England won from here no one would flinch. Even if you think Pakistan should be shorter, unless you think they should be $1.40 or something, the match is quite clearly evenly poised based on every assessment.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
And fwiw I think the one argument that can never be taken seriously is 'it's x, x can find a way to lose from anywhere', because x can be literally any team in the history of any sport and some fan will have said it.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It doesn't matter if you think one team will win or the other, the fact is both results are in play and if England won from here no one would flinch. Even if you think Pakistan should be shorter, unless you think they should be $1.40 or something, the match is quite clearly evenly poised based on every assessment.
Fair. I guess I have a bit less of a margin for 'evenly poised' to feel like an accurate description to me than 'all 3 results are in play'.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's not the description I was using, because all 3 results were in play when England were 1 down, but the match was obviously not evenly poised.

I won't labour the point further than this, but I really can't see how you can pull someone up for calling this evenly poised when all objective assessments say either it is evenly poised, or England are favourites. You're in a minority on this one suggesting Pakistan are on top in the game overall.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And fwiw I think the one argument that can never be taken seriously is 'it's x, x can find a way to lose from anywhere', because x can be literally any team in the history of any sport and some fan will have said it.
Yes I agree with that.

Shady Slim

International Coach
call me for flying off the handle here but the way this test pans out, and just this series in general, may decide the outcome of moeen's career, at least in the short term

YorksLanka

International Debutant
call me for flying off the handle here but the way this test pans out, and just this series in general, may decide the outcome of moeen's career, at least in the short term
should of already seen Woakes replace Finn in the line up for the future and yes quite possibly Ali too, having said that I still think he may be the #3 that England are desperately searching for..

Compton

International Debutant
should of already seen Woakes replace Finn in the line up for the future and yes quite possibly Ali too, having said that I still think he may be the #3 that England are desperately searching for..
Moeen isn't a top 6 batsman. He just isn't good/consistent enough.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha Nasser going hard at Athers and Warne here for not being on the Lord's honours board :laugh: