• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand - T20/ODI series - Jan 2016

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That's like asking what about medicine requires a professor of medicine to actually be a doctor.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the two times our bowling coach was a top ex-fast bowler Southee has improved, while the one time our bowling coach was a mediocre offspinner he declined?
Most professors who teach doctors at University are professors of biology, not medicine, so there goes your point.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not saying mediocre players can't be good coaches. I'm saying that, all other things being equal, a player who achieved a high level of proficiency will better be able to communicate how to get to a high level of proficiency than a person who never figured out how to get there.
Not necessarily - if a gifted player turns to coaching he/she may not be able to explain things to his/her less gifted players. Some players succeed through innate genius and when working as coaches may not think through and explain technical matters as well as a career coaches who had to really work for any sporting success and then entered the coaching game.

Look at Jeff Wilson - probably the 2nd most all-round talented back to play for the All Blacks in the last 25 years (behind Daniel Carter and as a good a cricketer as Ben Stokes). He should have been a genius coach (and judging from his media work is clearly astute), but didn't do particularly well with North Harbour (although tbf who would?) and went to work in the media. Meanwhile far less talented former NZ international, provincial and club players hold major coaching roles with high profile teams.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A university is a place of research. Department of medicine /= med school lectures. It means researchers in medicine.

Obviously there are clinical lecturers as well but if you want to learn drug kinetics you study biochemistry / pharmacology under a researcher not a pharmacist.

Not meant to be black and white of course as they definitely have to do the needle stabby work etc,

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Not necessarily - if a gifted player turns to coaching he/she may not be able to explain things to his/her less gifted players. Some players succeed through innate genius and when working as coaches may not think through and explain technical matters as well as a career coaches who had to really work for any sporting success and then entered the coaching game.

Look at Jeff Wilson - probably the 2nd most all-round talented back to play for the All Blacks in the last 25 years (behind Daniel Carter and as a good a cricketer as Ben Stokes). He should have been a genius coach (and judging from his media work is clearly astute), but didn't do particularly well with North Harbour (although tbf who would?) and went to work in the media. Meanwhile far less talented former NZ international, provincial and club players hold major coaching roles with high profile teams.
Yeah, you could be right. It's a good example with Wilson. I maintain, though, that cricket is different to rugby because it is more about technique and less about instinct. You could perhaps coach up another KW if you put enough resources into it. But you could never coach up another Dan Carter.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, you could be right. It's a good example with Wilson. I maintain, though, that cricket is different to rugby because it is more about technique and less about instinct. You could perhaps coach up another KW if you put enough resources into it. But you could never coach up another Dan Carter.
I don't know about coaching another KW. The technique could maybe be coached but the hand-eye co-ordination would definitely have its limits.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
That's like asking what about medicine requires a professor of medicine to actually be a doctor.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the two times our bowling coach was a top ex-fast bowler Southee has improved, while the one time our bowling coach was a mediocre offspinner he declined?
if I take five wickets every time I do up my shoes with my left have is that a coincidence?

cnerd123

likes this
I do agree that, assuming coaching ability is equal, then a player who has played at a higher level
Is better than one who hasn't.

I do not agree that playing at a higher level alone makes you a better coach.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
If Pakistan want to seriously win ODI games for once, then it's best to play teams such as Zimbabwe, Ireland, Afghanistan, West Indies and maybe even Bangladesh for now. Playing these major sides and losing is just denting their confidence down the drain. Don't understand why an 8th ranked side is playing away to such teams. After this NZ tour, they will be touring to England and Australia for ODI series: seriously?

smash84

The Tiger King
If Pakistan want to seriously win ODI games for once, then it's best to play teams such as Zimbabwe, Ireland, Afghanistan, West Indies and maybe even Bangladesh for now. Playing these major sides and losing is just denting their confidence down the drain. Don't understand why an 8th ranked side is playing away to such teams. After this NZ tour, they will be touring to England and Australia for ODI series: seriously?
Really? I thought they were touring Eng in June and Aus in Dec mainly for the test series

Niall

International Coach
They toured Bangladesh last year and got trashed, so no rush to play them again:laugh:

They are playing Ireland this summer, depending on who Ireland pick e.g. Rankin, its possible that Ireland may ambush them, better Pakistan sides than this have struggled in Ireland before.:laugh:

They were scheduled to play the West Indies and Zimbabwe last year but as it was just before the cut off for the champions trophy qualification, they swerved.:laugh:

Their is no ODI side in the world that Pakistan should have any confidence of beating, they are rubbish. :-O

They have been playing in the SC for ages, they need to tour sometime to be fair. And also the England tour is great for them, 4 tests and an ODI series this year with England makes so much sense with the champions trophy coming up in 2017.

Bit worrying for Pakistan now that England are taking limited overs seriously, how the hell are Pakistan are going to win a match this summer? It could be India in 2011 all over again.:ph34r:

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ranchi lives to fight on.

Sunny day, bit of swing about, backing Henry to do some damage early.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It's high time the cricket broadcasters kick Ramiz Raza out from the commentary team and try some other Pakistani ex-cricketers. Wasim Akram is much better than Ramiz if he's free.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's high time the cricket broadcasters kick Ramiz Raza out from the commentary team and try some other Pakistani ex-cricketers. Wasim Akram is much better than Ramiz if he's free.
It's a pity that Waqar's busy coaching because I thought he was pretty good as a commentator when Pakistan came here in 2009.