• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah can see the new ball coming on nicely here and getting them past the 320 mark. Need 2 wickets, minimum one.

If Jimmy keeps bowling poorly though through the UK summer a conversation has to be had at some point. Mark Wood will be back fit and has bowled some really impressive spells.
That should be a pretty big 'if', although that may depend on conditions. But if there is anything in the pitch for him, I'd fancy him to do well at home to SL and Pakistan.
Bowled well in UAE didn't he? Maybe he isn't quite 100%.

Compton

International Debutant
Moeen bowled a few filthy deliveries but on the whole a really good spell there to keep the runs down and pick up a wicket.
I thought it was a pretty rank spell tbh. Gave away far to many easy runs. Duminy being a moron against spin saved his figures.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah way too early to be talking about his position in the side, he will be just fine come the summer.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I can't claim to know a ting about de Kock beyond his average of 30, but who & what would he rather be facing at this stage of his innings?

Tired quicks sending down a new ball which comes nicely onto the bat or our offie turning it in the rough?

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
That should be a pretty big 'if', although that may depend on conditions. But if there is anything in the pitch for him, I'd fancy him to do well at home to SL and Pakistan.
Bowled well in UAE didn't he? Maybe he isn't quite 100%.
Cricket Records | Records | Pakistan v England Test Series, 2015/16 | Most wickets | ESPN Cricinfo

Bowled very well, only Yasir took more wickets and he kept it very tight. That was a real tough series for both him and Broad, all 3 tests Misbah won the toss and batted first on pitches that didn't have that much in them for the pacers. .

I dare anybody here to show me a pacer who would have done better in that situation against that such a well drilled batting line up.

He hasn't look good today whatsoever, but talk of dropping after one so-so series is very unfair.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah he bowled really well in the UAE, was premature from me which would come as no surprise to my ex girlfriend.

indiaholic

International Captain
That's wrong. ABDV averages less than 20 against Broad. That figure you picked up is average from matches in which Broad dismissed him which isn't the same thing.
I think he has the average against England when Broad is playing statistic... Which would be wrong.. He should be looking at ABDV's average against Broad specifically.

we're yorkshire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Its good to see that we've pulled it back somewhat, but I'm absolutely disgusted with the decision to play Woakes over Footitt. It reeks of a decision to avoid a selection headache to me; Finn walks into the team when he's back, and if Footitt comes in and performs (which I believe is inevitable, the guy is pure class) then you have to drop one of Anderson, Broad, Hales, Stokes or Ali to make way for Finn. If we drop Ali it has to be for Rashid, you can't see us weakening the batting to play 5 seamers, so that leaves you with a choice between Stokes and Anderson. The safe option was play Woakes, he might make 25 with the bat, go 2 for 100 with the ball, and you can drop him as soon as Finn is back.
For me this is up there with the Trott in the Windies **** up

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The list of bunnies for modern greats:

Broad - Ross Taylor and Azhar Ali (ABdV averages 48 despite getting out 10 times in 14 innings)
Jimmy - Thirimanne, Shoaib Malik and Farhat (Tendulkar averages 30)
Steyn - Hafeez, Sehwag, Tamim, and Guptill
Johnson - Duminy
Zaheer - Strauss (marginally)
Zaheer and Smith ffs

Stapel

International Regular
What's the verdict so far on Temba Bavuma?

I like how he bats. That does not per se mean I think he is world class or whatever. As a cricket fan, I simply enjoy watching him. Though I can't say why. Just checked his stats, and there is this rotten idea he did not make the most of a few ok-ish starts.

So, my fellow CW friends, how do we rate him?

Spark

Global Moderator
Its good to see that we've pulled it back somewhat, but I'm absolutely disgusted with the decision to play Woakes over Footitt. It reeks of a decision to avoid a selection headache to me; Finn walks into the team when he's back, and if Footitt comes in and performs (which I believe is inevitable, the guy is pure class) then you have to drop one of Anderson, Broad, Hales, Stokes or Ali to make way for Finn. If we drop Ali it has to be for Rashid, you can't see us weakening the batting to play 5 seamers, so that leaves you with a choice between Stokes and Anderson. The safe option was play Woakes, he might make 25 with the bat, go 2 for 100 with the ball, and you can drop him as soon as Finn is back.
For me this is up there with the Trott in the Windies **** up
What.

You have to drop one of two world-class seam bowlers, including the best bowler in the world currently, an opening batsman, a key all-rounder or your premier spinner to make way for your third seamer?

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
I think Bavuma looks class. Great defensive game, strikes the ball really cleanly. Seems a poor starter though.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why has Anderson bowled so many overs? Completely innocuous.

The game is drifting away from England here. Stokes is going to one token over here at best. Rubbish.

Compton

International Debutant
Why has Anderson bowled so many overs? Completely innocuous.

The game is drifting away from England here. Stokes is going to one token over here at best. Rubbish.
It's a dead rubber and Anderson is rusty. They're as well letting him get 50 overs under his belt in this match in the hope that it helps him find his rhythm again.