• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am entertained by the facts that Grecian knows about gamergate, which is an excellent proof that it isn't about gaming
Hey I play Brickbreaker on my old Blackberry, mainly because it reminds me of Pong. So I'm pretty clued up to be fair......

RossTaylorsBox

Look you can attack me personally and question my morality all you want.

But the only thing that will achieve is prevent a reasonable conversation on ***ual harrassment. If you start with the attitude that "bw has a different view on this, he must be a ***ist, woman hating, creep' you have already killed the conversation.

I don't believe that it was harrassment, and I should be able to say that without certain labels and insinuations. If you disagree with me, that's fine as well. But that doesn't give you a higher moral ground.

When I said "Not saying she is entirely responsible for this, but more the reaction in the media by other journalist", I was referring to the backlash.
Nothing to do with morality and everything to do with your terrible opinions.

91Jmay

International Coach
No one is attacking your morality, just saying you are wrong. Feels like you want to be allowed to tell Mel how she should react but we shouldn't be allowed to tell you that is nonsense.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I also think Michael Clarke shouldn't have retired, are you going to mock me as an authority on Clarke's cricketing decisions now?

Isn't 90% of the posts on this forum just us expressing what 'should happen and be done'?

I have an opinion on how South Africa should approach this test now and I am going to post that in the thread. Am I going to get attacked now for trying 'tell' Amla how he should play and trying to be an authority?
You're being totally disingenuous. Those situations are all vastly qualitatively different to the one involving Gayle and the reporter. Suggesting the reporter should have "laughed off" Gayle's advances is closer to suggesting an ethnic minority should "laugh off" racial insults than any of these.

harsh.ag

But the only thing that will achieve is prevent a reasonable conversation on ***ual harrassment. If you start with the attitude that "bw has a different view on this, he must be a ***ist, woman hating, creep' you have already killed the conversation.

I don't believe that it was harrassment, and I should be able to say that without certain labels and insinuations. If you disagree with me, that's fine as well. But that doesn't give you a higher moral ground.

When I said "Not saying she is entirely responsible for this, but more the reaction in the media by other journalist", I was referring to the backlash.
Gayle was a dick and he was unprofessional and it was bad behaviour. It's not about you. Much of the backlash is about this.

Was he ***ist? Reasonable people can disagree on this. It certainly undermines the position of women in the industry, and it makes women less comfortable in going in front of the camera and taking interviews. Male broadcasters never have to fave this issue. So yeah, institutional ***ism is definitely there, even if Gayle might not have grasped that personally.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Making moralistic proclamations about how people "should" behave in contexts like this is always so dodgy. Suggestive of a paternalistic "I know best" type mindset, which always leaves a lot to be desired.
See this is completely inside your own mind.

I can totally reverse that on you. Making posts about how someone should post on a forum is always so dodgy. Suggestive of a paternalistic "I know best" type mindset, which always leaves a lot to be desired.

I have made countless posts on this forum on a range of topics, about how a player should bat, how a team should play, about how a director should have made a movie. I have never been accused of any of this before. The only reason this is happening is because it involved a woman this time. This is how difficult it is to have a genuine conversation on these topics if you have a slightly different perspective. I have now lost my 'gender equality' credentials apparently.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You're being totally disingenuous. Those situations are all vastly qualitatively different to the one involving Gayle and the reporter. Suggesting the reporter should have "laughed off" Gayle's advances is closer to suggesting an ethnic minority should "laugh off" racial insults than any of these.
But here's the difference though. You equate what Gayle said to a racial insult. I don't.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

I never said any of those things. I asked why you get to tell Mel McLaughlin that she should have laughed it off. You're completely denying her actual experience (whatever that experience actually was) by attempting to police her reaction.

I'm superficially sympathetic to the notion of not labelling it '***ual harassment'. Not in any defence of what Gayle did, but for the point that OS raised about trivialising 'actual' ***ual harassment. However, doing that strikes me as a classic case of the whataboutery that Spark was talking about ("there's worse so this isn't real ***ual harassment"), and three men are contributing to a definition of what constitutes ***ual harassment and are policing how actual victims and actual women use that term.

Once more, I'm not quite sure why you (or I, for that matter) get to tell women what is or is not ***ual harassment. Hence, up until now I've tried to avoid commenting on that side of the debate.

And there is no way that McLaughlin should be blamed in any way, shape, or form for the backlash against Gayle. Gayle did what he did, and he has to cop the consequences of that. McLaughlin is in no way responsible for that, and suggesting that she is responsible is the absolute height of stupidity and arrogance (especially since she'd basically said nothing after the fact)

91Jmay

International Coach
As a man you don't get to decide what a ***ist insult is to a women. What part of that is difficult to grasp?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Gayle was a dick and he was unprofessional and it was bad behaviour. It's not about you. Much of the backlash is about this.

Was he ***ist? Reasonable people can disagree on this. It certainly undermines the position of women in the industry, and it makes women less comfortable in going in front of the camera and taking interviews. Male broadcasters never have to fave this issue. So yeah, institutional ***ism is definitely there, even if Gayle might not have grasped that personally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-FIfVfvOMo

Status
Not open for further replies.