• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Shady Slim

International Coach
More the responses to your post.

My reaction may have been partly because I as an Indian don't have any real contenders for the post of #1 batsman and thus am an outsider :(
ishant sharma has averaged far more on those rank indian turners over the last six months than kw, root, or smith have with the bat

Stapel

International Regular
More the responses to your post.

My reaction may have been partly because I as an Indian don't have any real contenders for the post of #1 batsman and thus am an outsider :(
I'm Dutch, so I'm not going to feel sorry for an Indian complaining not having a number one batsman contender :) !

Howe_zat

Audio File
I made the point on commentary that a lot of the time, people will use his failure against Steyn in Durban as evidence that Hales can't face a 'true' Test match examination. Or similar with other players. But you don't get test match success by standing up against the toughest possible circumstances, unless you're Rahul Dravid or something. Most of the time the real Test should be about what happens when things are in your favour. Just like success against the odds means more as a success, failure when you should do better means more as well.

This is a seriously important innings for Hales. He has everything - good start, old ball, batting conditions and a dodgy attack. You're Test match standard when you make that count.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No idea why they are going on about the Compton scoring rate, been very good since lunch and for him to score at 40 every 100 balls would be acceptable every time he bats.

Stapel

International Regular
After Compton's aggresive boundaries and Hales' wild flashes, this Test is now in a somewhat blurry area..... You can also tell by the fact the commentators rather comment on Dutch architecture!

Howe_zat

Audio File
No idea why they are going on about the Compton scoring rate, been very good since lunch and for him to score at 40 every 100 balls would be acceptable every time he bats.
It's just become a thing people talk about, like James Taylor's height or Newlands being pretty

Howe_zat

Audio File
After Compton's aggresive boundaries and Hales' wild flashes, this Test is now in a somewhat blurry area..... You can also tell by the fact the commentators rather comment on Dutch architecture!
If you're the batting side, lull wins matches. You can tell there's no intensity from the bowling side right now.

Compton

International Debutant
I made the point on commentary that a lot of the time, people will use his failure against Steyn in Durban as evidence that Hales can't face a 'true' Test match examination. Or similar with other players. But you don't get test match success by standing up against the toughest possible circumstances, unless you're Rahul Dravid or something. Most of the time the real Test should be about what happens when things are in your favour. Just like success against the odds means more as a success, failure when you should do better means more as well.

This is a seriously important innings for Hales. He has everything - good start, old ball, batting conditions and a dodgy attack. You're Test match standard when you make that count.
Yeah that's a fair point.

Getting out Steyn is hardly something to write a batsman off over. There was never much doubt that Hales could get in and make an attractive fifty. If he wants to be the long term solution to "Strauss is gone, who the **** opens with Cook?" then he needs to show he can turn 50s into 100s and 100s into big scores.

I don't think he's the long-term answer, but this is a brilliant chance to make a ton today. Good time to make a ton, too; plenty of time in the series to bat with no real pressure of getting dropped.

OverratedSanity

I like so many of the young English batting brigade... big fan of Compton, Taylor, Root, Ballance, but why are they all so terrible to watch in a purely aesthetic sense? I know some people enjoy Root's strokeplay, but to me, that's more down to him being a jet batsman and not necessarily how good his strokes actually look while he's batting. It doesn't matter if they're getting runs obviously, but they all look so ungainly, ugh. This could be the only semi-sensible reason people could've given to retain Bell.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Carberry and Moeen aside I think all the Strauss replacements have tonned up haven't they? It's what comes after that that has been the issue.

TheJediBrah

England will be genuine contenders for no. 1 over the next few years. Good young players, good balance and hopefully Broad and Anderson can hang around for a few more years at least.

And Moeen Ali is underrated IMO. Has potential to be a great all-rounder.

Can't see much hope for SA, just judging by what they have coming through to fill vacant spots in the test side. They'll find a way to be competitive though.

Compton

International Debutant
I like so many of the young English batting brigade... big fan of Compton, Taylor, Root, Ballance, but why are they all so terrible to watch in a purely aesthetic sense? I know some people enjoy Root's strokeplay, but to me, that's more down to him being a jet batsman and not necessarily how good his strokes actually look while he's batting. It doesn't matter if they're getting runs obviously, but they all look so ungainly, ugh. This could be the only semi-sensible reason people could've given to retain Bell.
I think Root's a brilliant batsman to watch. Also, having pretty strokeplay isn't even close to being a semi-sensible reason to retain Bell.