• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Still gonna maintain my opinion about Steyn not being that good this time around, his Nagpur spell, as good as it was, happened mostly because he basically got a ball given to him that was primed for reverse swing. He'll definitely cause us problems but I'm not quite as worried if we were playing in SA.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saw the BPXI at 92/0 and was all '**** yeah, take that steyn philander and morkel' until I saw the full scorecard :(

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Steyn will be fine in the tests. For me the big concern in SA bowling is the other steamers. If they do their job, will be tough to beat SA.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
0/10 for counter. Now if you had said "with the bat", Nohit would have liked it. :p
Come on; it deserved at least a 2/10.....

Steyn will be fine in the tests. For me the big concern in SA bowling is the other steamers. If they do their job, will be tough to beat SA.
I`m not worried about our bowling attack, we will not just easily run through the Indian line-up but I think we will be disciplined... so the question is can the Indian batsmen be disciplined?? I think Philander and Morkel will bowl well; Hopefully our spinner (whoever that may be) keeps things tight I don't expect them to take lots of wickets. My biggest concern at the moment is Amla... his form has been terrible and I`m hoping that he comes good during the tests.

Not to be to cliched; but I think that if the Indian batsmen play well and put a couple of 400 scores on the board, the Indian spin department will be to much for SA over an entire test series. If the Indian batsmen are ill-disciplined and SA hold their catches then it will give to few runs for the Indians spinners to pressure SA line-up.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think Amla is certainly not as good as he was a few years back

Didn't Amla average something ridiculous like 400 when SA were in India last time?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
South Africa v spin is also a concern. When it did spin a fair bit in the 4th ODI SA looked a bit lost. South African batsmen play spin well but let's see what happens. Probably will come into play after Mohali.

Niall

International Coach
I think Amla is certainly not as good as he was a few years back

Didn't Amla average something ridiculous like 400 when SA were in India last time?
Its a tricky one, he has hardly played any tests recently, so tough to gauge him on this. As a limited overs player, he has been very poor recently and as he has done his whole career stunk it out in the world cup when they needed him the most.He may need a break in limited overs cricket possibly, but he needs a few under performing test series, before we should start talking about decline.

Daemon

Very worried about how we're going to get de villiers out tbh. Dude's in the form of his life and more often than not he's only getting out to himself. We need Ashwin to bowl well so badly.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa's batting is the major concern here (not just against spin). ABD scores hundreds for fun but the rest keep falling like nine pins around him. The rest of the batting line up is also quite inexperienced especially with two new openers.

The ODI/T20 series win will count for very little in the end. Plus its a 4 match series, a long series so expect there to be a fair bit of ups and downs for both teams.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Very worried about how we're going to get de villiers out tbh. Dude's in the form of his life and more often than not he's only getting out to himself. We need Ashwin to bowl well so badly.
Just get rid of the 9 around him..they seem to be quite eager.

cnerd123

likes this
I think if India play close to their full potential - bowlers bowling tight, batsmen find runs, Ashwin/Mishra/Jadeja all finding rhythm - then India should win this.

However, quite a few players in the team have been inconsistent of late, or are in questionable form. SA on the other hand are a lot more consistent and have less nightmare days in the field - the kind of days that have seen this Indian side lose entire matches and series.

Ideally both sides will be at their peak and we'll have some fantastic cricket to watch. I think whats more likely is one side hitting their straps early on and demolishing the other, or a flawed battle between a struggling SA unit and a poor India side with flashes of brilliance.

harsh.ag

It all comes down to how our spinners bowl and how they play spin really.

Very small but beautiful probability of ABdV and Steyn carrying SA to victory. India don't have anyone like that.

OverratedSanity

So, SA's top/middle order showed it's brittleness but AB as usual smashes a ton. We need to find a way to get him out consistently or he could well win the series for them if he continues like this. Ridiculous run of form.

StephenZA

I think if India play close to their full potential - bowlers bowling tight, batsmen find runs, Ashwin/Mishra/Jadeja all finding rhythm - then India should win this....
Is this not true for any team... if the batsmen gets runs, bowlers bowl well and get wickets then they win! My personal (i.e. biased) opinion is that if SA play to their potential then the Indian bowling attack cannot bowl SA out, except for maybe Ashwin on a good turner.

So, SA's top/middle order showed it's brittleness...
I don't think that the SA batting is brittle, our openers are inexperienced but Faf, Amla and DeVillers are well proven. (Hence, my concern regarding Amla`s form, but class is permanent) Duminy (hoping he plays) and Vilas will be solid. Harmer and Philander can hold a bat but I am not counting on any of our bottom 4 to add many runs. Whereas I look at the Indian batting line-up and see highly talented but unproven inconsistent performers, who I think may struggle against consistent disciplined bowling, which SA will bring.

Shri

Mr. Glass
India don't have anyone like that.
Rahane and Vijay are good test batsmen who can handle anything thrown at them and they are in decent form. Rahul looks promising and Kohli is the kind of guy who can start looking like he was never out of form after one good innings. Rohit on Indian pitches is just gold. Ashwin is bowling insanely well too. We are good enough to compete. Maybe even beat them. Pace bowling options sucks balls admittedly. Shami in the squad could have helped.

As long as we don't let Steyn go super saiyan, we should win this with spin bowling and scoreboard pressure. I think.

cnerd123

likes this
Is this not true for any team... if the batsmen gets runs, bowlers bowl well and get wickets then they win! My personal (i.e. biased) opinion is that if SA play to their potential then the Indian bowling attack cannot bowl SA out, except for maybe Ashwin on a good turner.
Yea what I was trying to say is the opposite - peak India will beat peak SA. But India's bad days are much worse than South Africa's, and they have been a lot more inconsistent than SA, so really if SA just maintain a decent level of cricket they could win.