• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
And yet Ravi Shastri and co are talking about sending Indian players to county to improve their technique with one (Pujara) already there? Williamson was averaging around low to mid 30s in tests before he started playing regularly in county and now low and behold it's gone up. How anyone can argue that it didn't help improve him is beyond me.
Your overall implication is that his contemporaries are better than him.
Well I think Smith in particular is in a purple patch and will come back down to earth. Especially when people figure out to deal with him walking across his stumps. That said take what I say about him with a grain of salt as I am biased against him based on how ungainly he looks.

I do however think Kane is as talented as Darren and Steve, Virat I would have to think about. He has certain qualities such as being dashing and daring that the others don't have.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
And yet Ravi Shastri and co are talking about sending Indian players to county to improve their technique with one (Pujara) already there? Williamson was averaging around low to mid 30s in tests before he started playing regularly in county and now low and behold it's gone up. How anyone can argue that it didn't help improve him is beyond me.
It's like Kane, you know, worked hard to turn his natural talent into performance and developed as a batsman as he matured.

Yes, yes I agree. I certainly think Imrul Kayes' recent performances are far more special than Kane Williamson's because Kayes has got to Test level without half of the natural talent that Kane has. Williamson WAFC, unfair cheating bastard, being born gifted and working hard to turn that into performance.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah but tbf in your opinion Kane Williamson would be working at McDonalds if not for county cricket.

Edit: Actually WW, this knock here by Williamson must rate pretty high in your books when you consider you thought he'd been found out during the World Cup. First innings after it and bang, what a player...

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I do however think Kane is as talented as Darren and Steve, Virat I would have to think about. He has certain qualities such as being dashing and daring that the others don't have
Kohli has that special "how the **** did he do that" quality only AB shares

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's just all agree none of the other youngsters has played a knock anywhere near as good as Rahane's ton on that Lord's lawn on day 1 and thus conclude that Rahane>all. Thanks.

Spark

Global Moderator
Kohli has that special "how the **** did he do that" quality only AB shares
Kohli hasn't really done that at Test level though. Kinda weird because he pretty obviously has the potential but thus far in Tests he's mostly just played sort of standard "good" Test innings (if quite a lot of them last summer).

Rahane tbh.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Your overall implication is that his contemporaries are better than him.
Well I think Smith in particular is in a purple patch and will come back down to earth. Especially when people figure out to deal with him walking across his stumps. That said take what I say about him with a grain of salt as I am biased against him based on how ungainly he looks.

I do however think Kane is as talented as Darren and Steve, Virat I would have to think about. He has certain qualities such as being dashing and daring that the others don't have.
Hurricane mate hand on heart if Darren, Smith and Virat were afford the same chance in county don't you think they would be better players too? Especially Virat and Darren seeing as they aren't used to those conditions?!!. Not taking anything away from Kane as the kid is looking like a rock now but county has lifted his game and perhaps given him the chance to be on the same level as the other players mentioned...had he just been playing plunket cricket i don't think he'd be at the same level he is now...just my opinion.

OverratedSanity

Kohli hasn't really done that at Test level though. Kinda weird because he pretty obviously has the potential but thus far in Tests he's mostly just played sort of standard "good" Test innings (if quite a lot of them last summer).

Rahane tbh.
Adelaide? Certainly a great knock by any definition imo.

Agree on Rahane though. Wafg

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricane mate hand on heart if Darren, Smith and Virat were afford the same chance in county don't you think they would be better players too? Especially Virat and Darren seeing as they aren't used to those conditions?!!. Not taking anything away from Kane as the kid is looking like a rock now but county has lifted his game and perhaps given him the chance to be on the same level as the other players mentioned...had he just been playing plunket cricket i don't think he'd be at the same level he is now...just my opinion.
I understand your point. I accept he is better due to county cricket. I still stand by my post regarding his talent.

Spark

Global Moderator
i has a bad memory. tbf that's not quite the outrageous strokemaking innings we think of when it comes to ODI kohli.

Howsie

International Captain
Send Bravo over then, might make him 1/4 of the player Williamson is.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah but tbf in your opinion Kane Williamson would be working at McDonalds if not for county cricket.

Edit: Actually WW, this knock here by Williamson must rate pretty high in your books when you consider you thought he'd been found out during the World Cup. First innings after it and bang, what a player...
Nah...i think he'd have been at Pizza Hut tbh :D

OverratedSanity

Yeah but holding the fact that he was committed enough to do a county stint shouldn't be a negative as you seem to be suggesting.

Zinzan

And yet Ravi Shastri and co are talking about sending Indian players to county to improve their technique with one (Pujara) already there? Williamson was averaging around low to mid 30s in tests before he started playing regularly in county and now low and behold it's gone up.
Of course county cricket would have helped, but his 'low 30s' average at that time was more to do with him being a 21-22 year old kid.

OverratedSanity

i has a bad memory. tbf that's not quite the outrageous strokemaking innings we think of when it comes to ODI kohli.
Definitely was. When he starts unfurling those inside out cover drives off the spinners with alarming regularity, he's pretty much approaching his odi mode.