• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Wow, Milne looks a totally decent bat. Would like to see him given a go in tests.

EDIT: Oh FFS.
Yeah. His Plunket shield 97 he scored about 2 years ago for CD was full of excellent proper cricket shots off both feet.

About the same time Southee and Kuggeleijn got their debut FC 100s. Milne looked a class above them.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
So concerns about 'mental frailties' come the WC when the pressure and spotlight is really going to come on or just one of those days?
I'm not concerned. This is an aberration - just look how we steadied the ship in the last match.

This is definitely 'one of those days', but the WC is essentially a 3 match knockout so a day like this can ruin any team's tournament.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Which half of the block is this match being played on?
The fast & bouncy? Or slow and spinning
Kippax? Which clay? (There are different clays on the Seddon block, right?)
Yeah this is the slower one. The ND CEO says this clay is still trustworthy and great for a white ball game, and will be used in the WC.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Feel even if we get to 240, SL will romp home within 40 overs. Sort of track I can see our fast bowlers getting some tap & our spinners being economical but being milked relatively easily.

280-290 would have been interesting.

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm not concerned. This is an aberration - just look how we steadied the ship in the last match.

This is definitely 'one of those days', but the WC is essentially a 3 match knockout so a day like this can ruin any team's tournament.
Indeed.

I'm as excited as anyone about the upcoming WC, but it annoys me when people start to get too "deep" about what it's going to take to win.

We might have "arrived" as a team and we might not have, and that may have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not we win the World Cup. It's ODI cricket ffs. Actually, it's just cricket full-stop. If we win the World Cup it's because we played good a couple of times.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree that he's always batted that way.

He was actually one of the better T20 batsmen going around between about 2007-2009 IIRC. I'm sure his T20 SR has dropped off in the last 5 years.
Yeah, but that was just because it took rubbish IPL bowlers a while to cotton on to the fact that if you bowl a yard outside offstump then Taylor has few options. The number of leg stump full tosses that the Indians fed him in the 2009 IPL was just ridiculous.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah, but that was just because it took rubbish IPL bowlers a while to cotton on to the fact that if you bowl a yard outside offstump then Taylor has few options. The number of leg stump full tosses that the Indians fed him in the 2009 IPL was just ridiculous.
His record was built over 100+ games played all over the place though.

I get that you could easily respond with the general comparison between domestic and international level bowling, but I reckon it's a bit different in T20 where there is so much domestic-level cricket played, often with a great deal of fanfare and supposed "significance" when compared with other formats.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Now, I'm fully aware of how nutty I sound right now, but I do think I'm onto something. Actually, I reckon I was involved in the exact same discussion about Jonathan Trott once and took the opposite position :laugh:
No you're not. You're talking crap. 100 from 110 not worth it? Give me a break!

_Ed_

Haha, awesome from Boult. I still feel it's too little and too late, but still a bit of a boost.

Zinzan

I've said this before & it went down like a lead balloon at the time, but I do think despite the fact there's many reasons Taylor's a better overall batsman these days, his eye is not quite as sharp as it was 5 years ago.

Please don't read this as me saying he doesn't still have a good eye, :mellow: these things are relative.