• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

the big bambino

International Captain
The fastest spinner I've seen is Kumble (consistently I mean - I'll overlook Afridi's fast ball). I would guess Underwood was quicker though never saw him timed. So Underwood being a rarity I'd guess the fastest spinner is around high 90s maybe low hundreds kph. As for Barnes I reckon he had the ability to move it at his top pace even our pitches and rely on Clem Hill's experience as proof.

Edit: Imo I'd call fast medium in the 125 - 135ish range.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Just FFS, I am putting together an ATG XI with players I have not selected before in such threads.

H. Sutcliffe
Trumper
Sangakara
Hammond
A. Flower (WK)
AB de Villiers
Miller
Davidson
Trueman
Laker
Grimmett

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
They are a couple of players who are no doubt close to selection but never seem to make most XI's and who would seem to be relatively under rated. Hadlee and Lara both come to mind.

bagapath

International Captain
The team I have posted above has everything a great team needs. Great batsmen, great bowlers, excellent stats, aggression, flair, defense, left right combination, pace, swing, spin of both varieties, great catching and ground fielding skills... yet none of those players make it to most ATG XIs

watson

Banned
The team I have posted above has everything a great team needs. Great batsmen, great bowlers, excellent stats, aggression, flair, defense, left right combination, pace, swing, spin of both varieties, great catching and ground fielding skills... yet none of those players make it to most ATG XIs
The designated keeper is a bit iffy though unless it's the early model Andy Flower before he improved his batting at the expense of his keeping.

Mike5181

International Captain
The fastest spinner I've seen is Kumble (consistently I mean - I'll overlook Afridi's fast ball). I would guess Underwood was quicker though never saw him timed. So Underwood being a rarity I'd guess the fastest spinner is around high 90s maybe low hundreds kph. As for Barnes I reckon he had the ability to move it at his top pace even our pitches and rely on Clem Hill's experience as proof.

Edit: Imo I'd call fast medium in the 125 - 135ish range.
Fast-medium is like 135-140.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
For me the biggest strength of Sachin compared to lets say someone like Lara was how he paced his innings. We have seen two different modes of Sachin. The pre-Tennis elbow mode was very very attacking and could rip apart any bowling attack while the post-Tennis elbow injury Sachin was much more reserved with his shots. With Sir Viv already there, I also would have Sachin there.

If there was a test match batsman better than Lara at pacing a big test match inning since 1990, then I am yet to meet him... Sachin's test match batting, bar a few attacking innings distributed randomly over time, has always been a study of method, accumulation and amazingly good technique and footwork.. Lara's attacking batting technique was a few notches higher but his defensive batting technique was a few notches lower.. While Lara knew better how to score runs off a ball, Sachin knew better how to ensure not getting out to it.. And I think that was reflected over the period of time their careers overlapped.. Of course, the latter years Sachin was not quite himself bar the odd amazing inning. I think kyear has got his reasoning spot on that going the balance of his AT XI, Sachin is a better fit than Lara.. I, of course, would be greedy and try and play both :)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
honestly I thought Tendulkar was the more attacking and destructive batsman during the 90s, barring a few ridiculously good Lara innings.

viriya

International Captain
Before Tendulkar ruined his record in the last 2 years of his career by hanging around for no good reason you could argue that he was more consistent than Lara. He ended up with a higher average but it's deceiving - Lara has an unusually low # of not outs (6 vs 33). If you compare runs/innings, its 51.52/inn for Lara vs 48.39/inn for Tendulkar.

Lara obviously had more highs and lows, but Tendulkar barely had any significant innings in Tests - he was generally satisfied with just getting to a hundred. Compare that to Lara: everyone knows about his 277, 153*, 213, 375, 400*, etc - easily more than 5 great Test innings..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It wasn't that Tendulkar was satisfied reaching 100, it was that he consistently failed to produce the amazing, big Test innings like Lara did.

HB, I don't even know what context I wrote that message in??

Yippa_oz

Cricket Spectator
It's great to be able to share opinions. In my lifetime, I've seen nearly 50 years of Test cricket. I've seen the West Indian & Australian eras of bowling, let's face it, no other country can match these two powerhouses in their pomp. Malcolm Marshall is unquestionably their greatest. His skills are all that is widely mentioned. He was not express as everyone makes out. He was in the 88-90 mp/h bracket, 140-145km/h. His strike rate of around 46 is incredible, but one must remember with a pace quartet still unequalled in history, he was always fresh & not overloaded. Opposition batting orders could not afford the luxury to play naturally, hence the tail was exposed earlier, cheap wickets.

In Australia, Glenn McGrath is a true great, but not the greatest. There's a matter of a certain Dennis Keith Lillee, whom seen by all, including Commentators, Journalists, Test Players & the public, is rated as the greatest of all time. He is seen as the Rolls Royce of fast bowlers, his armoury, ability, stamina, aggression & skill with the ball remains unequalled. We all know about his back injuries, twice, which reduced his pace, yet 3 years afterwards, Lillee was clocked at 97 mp/h, 155 km/h. His perfect, flowing action, run up, delivery action, ability to out think batsmen & intimate drew the fans. He taught Marshall how to bowl innies, cutters & outties. Enough said. He bowled to some of the greatest batsmen in history, when Australia weren't always the best team. Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Gary Sobers, Martin Crowe, Richard Hadlee, Ian Botham, David Gower, Imran Khan, Sunil Gavaskar, Richie Benaud etc etc rate him as the greatest. Umpire Harold Bird, whose seen a plethora of bowling from the middle, rates Lillee as the greatest that ever lived, alongside Bradman.

Strike rates mean nothing! If a guy averages 1 wicket every 46 balls but only bowls 120 balls (20 overs) in an innings (IE: 2 wickets), is he better than a guy averaging 52 balls a wicket, but bowls 150+ balls in an innings (IE: 3 wickets?) & takes out the top order? Any captain will take the man who can bowl all day. One must remember, that Lillee didn't bowl in a quartet & often shouldered the workload. He was outstanding against the mighty West Indies, England, Pakistan & India.

If you do the maths, Lillee was bowling 60+ overs a Test. At his peak, he took over 130 wickets in 20 Tests. He is to this day, rated the best bowler ever to grace the Carribean. He missed over 2.5 years of Test cricket due to injury. He took 103 wickets in 4 World XI matches, including 79 in 15 Supertests, playing West Indies & World XIs. He took 11 in the incredible Centenary Test in a superhuman display. He was the highest wicket taker in WSC & the 1st bowler to take 100 1 day international wickets. He took 85 Test wickets in a Calendar Year, still the fast bowling world record! You factor his "missing" wickets & his 355 become closer to 458 wickets in 90 Tests, let alone the injuries which robbed him of another say 15-20 Tests!!! He took over 1,100 1st Class Wickets, (23x) 5 Wicket & (7x) 10 Wicket hauls in just 70 Tests. He's still the fastest bowler to take 250 & 300 wickets, taking 300 in 56 Tests. Even Murali couldn't break it! In Australia, the order is: Lillee (by a street), McGrath, Lindwall.

Last edited:

Yippa_oz

Cricket Spectator
Some good points. Tendulkar was a truly great player. He was insulated in the middle order whilst Sehwag dented the ball & Dravid, the wall, knocked the shine off it! Seriously good player. As the West Indies weakened, Lara was the sole hand which made it impossible for him. If you look at them technically, both solid as they come, Lara had more shots, hit the ball harder & quicker hands. His downfall was he
I've to get on with it. But, to hold the world record twice & play the best knock seen in Australia (277*) I'd choose Lara, if he was able to bat in the same lineup as Tendulkar. He wasn't called Prince for nothing!

Last edited:

Yippa_oz

Cricket Spectator
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Leonard Hutton (or Sunil Gavaskar)
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir Vivian Richards
Sachin Tendulkar (or Sir Walter Hammond)
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Malcolm Marshall
Sir Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee

12th Man: Imran Khan

* I'm a big fan of Gavaskar, an amazing record, 1st player to score 10,000 Test runs, most hundreds & dominated the West Indies. Wally Hammond, had Don Bradman not existed, may have been the greatest batsman in history, but is not applauded as he deserves! Incredible record, he scored 905 in a Test series against Australia in Australia!!! He scored the fastest Triple Hundred in Test History. His average of 58.45, was due to his unselfish return to Test cricket in 1946 after WWII, when he averaged around 25. Hammond was sensational against Australia, one of the greatest slip fielders (100+ catches) & a solid bowler. A special player, he scored 167 1st Class Centuries & 50,000+ runs. He would've averaged over 60! In my lifetime, Sir Vivian Richards is the best Test/One day player I've seen. Lucky T20 wasn't around! He was recently in Australia & appeared all over TV here. He is a much admired god of the game, even here in his 60's.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Can't remember an occasion where Lillee was clocked at 155kph. Thommo yeah but Lillee was about 10-15 ks lighter in speed. Also McGrath, for mine over Lillee any time.

watson

Banned
Can't remember an occasion where Lillee was clocked at 155kph. Thommo yeah but Lillee was about 10-15 ks lighter in speed. Also McGrath, for mine over Lillee any time.
155 kph is probably a bit quick, but I don't think that there is much doubt that a younger Dennis Lillee hit the 150 kph mark regularly;

The follow studies also have Lillee clocked around the 150s during the mid-1970s, but I won't be getting into a debate about the accuracy of the results. Suffice to say, Lillee was still 'very quick' when he and Thomo were bashing England and the Windies from 1974 to 1976.

Records | All cricket records (including minor cricket) | Miscellaneous records | Bowling speeds (2) | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited: