• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is India 2nd because everyone else bad or because India were good?
I think their draw against South Africa from 2010/11 still helps and the system doesn't differentiate between home performances and away performances so that helps probably.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Overrated by who? No one rates them and they just almost won a test despite giving up a 300 run first innings lead.
I rate India; I was really impressed by what they produced in South Africa and felt they should win this series fairly comfortably if they played to a similar standard. I suppose inconsistency is always going to be the main drawback of having a highly talented but inexperienced lineup though; we saw it even across the course of two innings here, let alone two series.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We're 2nd because we've only dropped 2 tests and won most others at home in **** knows how long.

Blocky

Banned
India have what they've always had, a very good batting unit and bowlers who thrive in their home conditions, with one outstanding seam bowler who does well away from home. That's been India for as long as I can remember, with only brief periods where they could play away from home. You'd anticipate them dominating in their own conditions due to the impact of their spin bowlers and the rate their batsmen can score at, but a little bit of swing in the air and these guys are out to sea. I'd hate to see them face the Duke.

Remember when I said I'd take Wagner, Southee and Boult over pretty much any attack in the world? These numbers indicate why.

Stats - New Zealand pace attack on a high | Cricket News | New Zealand v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Lowest strike rate of any bowling unit in the last 12 months, average just shading Australia's despite their dominance against England and this attack can only get better, they're all under 30 and could spend 6 to eight years together as a bowling unit. We just need to get rid of our bit part player Sodhi and find ourselves an opening combination.

Sadly, Ryder would offer so much to this team, one thing he could've done perfectly well in this test match was bowl in the periods between the strike bowlers and keep it tight against the Indians, maybe rankle a wicket here or there. It's just such a loss that the guy can't get past his alcohol issues and despite his talent, enough is enough.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Catching up on the rest of the thread, basically we need a #8 who can contribute 15 overs an innings for under 3 an over while averaging 25-30 with the bat. I don't care who we pick, I don't care if you give Nathan McCullum an opportunity to bowl some darties and keep an end quiet, I actually think he'd be half decent in the Vettori style containing role as long as we only use him as a break bowler for the other guys, problem with Vettori is we kept using him in abundance expecting he was going to win matches for us which was beyond his control.

All things considered and due to Ryder being a ****ing muppet, my team for the next test would be

1. Wagner
2. Wagner
3. Wagner
4. Wagner
5. Wagner
6. Wagner
7. Watling (k)
8. Wagner
9. Wagner
10. Southee
11. Boult.

Blocky

Banned
Or..... if the Wagner's aren't available for selection

1. Fulton
2. Rutherford
3. Williamson
4. Taylor ( Redmond )
5. McCullum
6. Anderson
7. Watling (k)
8. NcCullum or Neesham.
9. Southee
10. Wagner
11. Boult
12. Latham.

I don't really want to select either Fulton or Rutherford, but I don't want to throw Latham in for a one test series, I'd rather bring him into the unit, get him used to the environment and bin whoever fails most for the Windies tour in place of him. As for Redmond, I don't really see any other option in NZ Cricket, I'd like to give Mitchell a chance sooner rather than later but he's not ready for this test so if Taylor isn't available, Redmond is the most obvious of the least obvious selections. Again, **** you Jesse. **** you very much.

Blocky

Banned
Actually, come to think of it, completely left field selection... but why not Ronchi the Donchi in as a batsman if Taylor can't play? Already shown us some skill in the ODI series, his chances as a keeper are severely limited because of Watling, if he can step in either at five (McCullum to 4) or 4 itself, why not?

Blocky

Banned
And reviewing the domestic stats this year, Sam Wells could be a replacement for Sodhi too. Dependable batsman who can get through some restrictive overs if required.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Bloody hell that was an awesome test. Well done to India for pushing New Zealand so hard over the last day and a half. To come back from such a dark, dark place as a 300 run first innings deficit was pretty damned amazing. Well done to Wagner too. He really bowled superbly. I dunno whether it was just my imagination, but he looked more comfortable with ball in hand than I have ever seen him in a New Zealand shirt. "Comfortable" isn't quite the right word. "Relaxed" might be better, except that Wagner paradoxically also manages to look angrier than Jesse Ryder's manager when he gets yet another one of those phone calls at 3am. Anyway, it didn't look like the act of bowling was quite so hard for him and the ball came out much better (and consistently faster) than it is has before.

Meanwhile, Boult is up to 7th in the player rankings, and Southee up to 10th. Wagner is at 28 and, while it is hard to read on my browser, this test seems like it has taken Wagner from 397 ranking points to 505.

In the batting rankings, Taylor is still at 5, while Williamson and McCullum both enter the top 20 (at 19 and 20 respectively).

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
And reviewing the domestic stats this year, Sam Wells could be a replacement for Sodhi too. Dependable batsman who can get through some restrictive overs if required.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a Wells selection. Has probably earnt it more than Neesham and is also probably the better bowler. Either of the pair would be good though.

I feel for Sodhi but it was just such a braindead selection in the first place.

No way could Ronchi bat 4. He's a number 7 and frankly a bit of a slogger. It would be like asking Jadeja to bat 4 for India.