• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Decent total for Oz in the end. Will be interesting what Duckworth-Lewis spits out for India to chase.

benchmark00

cause he's a 34yo who has done nothing in ODI cricket except for a ton against scotland - and now a quick fire 50 coming in a hugely atypical situation for a number 6 in OD cricket - and done nothing in ODD cricket to deserve selection for ODI cricket.
He doesn't bat 4 for Australia bro.

Beaten by edit.

Why is it atypical for a #6? You wouldn't want to be more than 4 down after 30 overs in any ODI.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
cause he's a 34yo who has done nothing in ODI cricket except for a ton against scotland - and now a quick fire 50 coming in a hugely atypical situation for a number 6 in OD cricket - and done nothing in ODD cricket to deserve selection for ODI cricket.
He averages 42 for Victoria in OD cricket. Yeah a lot of those runs were at the dawn of time but he's certainly demonstrated a strong aptitude for playing OD cricket over a long career. I'm happy enough to run with that over and beyond what he's done in the last 10 matches or whatever.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
You get fooled by occasional decent performance, others don't :p He is decidedly mediocre. Will not win matches from difficult situations with any regularity. And will keep losing games far more often for the team.

EDIT: Meanto quote PEWS on Jadeja.

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Didn't he make big contributions to a couple of wins in the ODIs against England last summer? A couple of pretty important sixties if I remember correctly. I think given the fact he's been picked pretty sporadically for Australia and generally been batting from 5-7 he hasn't been that bad.

thierry henry

International Coach
What? Averages 39 in ODD cricket at surely an excellent strike rate.

benchmark00

You'll be able to tell if Starc is in for a good night by the first 2-3 balls he bowls. If he gets movement, he'll clean up.

Spikey

Why is it atypical for a #6? You wouldn't want to be more than 4 down after 30 overs in any ODI.

Coming in at say 4/180 with 20 overs to go is a bit different to today when the rain situation ****ed all the bowling overs stuff around and he came in with 9 overs to go. We know Dussey can slog (for lack of bothering to think of a better word) but today is hardly something that'll happen often. he was basically in a position where he could go for the moment he came in, rather than have to build an innings/partnership/balance batting sensibly to ensure the tail isn't exposed too much with a good S/R etc

That said, I would bat Christan ahead of Dussey (as I said on the day the squad got picked) anyway so he would come in a situation like today a tad more often.

He averages 42 for Victoria in OD cricket. Yeah a lot of those runs were at the dawn of time but he's certainly demonstrated a strong aptitude for playing OD cricket over a long career. I'm happy enough to run with that over and beyond what he's done in the last 10 matches or whatever.
Well you summed it up in a post you made after the selection. He's a 34yo, fighting for his place in the side, in the same squad we've picked Peter Forrest. Obviously I'm thinking much more long term than you do. You believe in picking your best team in every match. I don't so much, not for ODers. So I don't really see the point in picking a 34yo who is out of his depth if he has to do something other than hit big....know what? We could stick Warner down where Dussey is and tell him to ditch the leg spin for darts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Australia's attack for this match looks so shaky, especially if Harris happened to get injured after a few deliveries which is probably about a 15% chance of happening.

Have to get 10 overs out of Christian/Dussey/Clarke, and that's assuming that none of McKay/Doherty/Starc will get smashed and need to be supplemented themselves.

EDIT: If it was a full match that is.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Coming in at say 4/180 with 20 overs to go is a bit different to today when the rain situation ****ed all the bowling overs stuff around and he came in with 9 overs to go. We know Dussey can slog (for lack of bothering to think of a better word) but today is hardly something that'll happen often. he was basically in a position where he could go for the moment he came in, rather than have to build an innings/partnership/balance batting sensibly to ensure the tail isn't exposed too much with a good S/R etc

That said, I would bat Christan ahead of Dussey (as I said on the day the squad got picked) anyway so he would come in a situation like today a tad more often.

Well you summed it up in a post you made after the selection. He's a 34yo, fighting for his place in the side, in the same squad we've picked Peter Forrest. Obviously I'm thinking much more long term than you do. You believe in picking your best team in every match. I don't so much, not for ODers. So I don't really see the point in picking a 34yo who is out of his depth if he has to do something other than hit big....know what? We could stick Warner down where Dussey is and tell him to ditch the leg spin for darts.
D Hussey is at his best when he has the chance to knock it around for a few overs then launch though...

Look, I'm not saying he's a hero, but there's nothing wrong with his selection really.

Spikey

Australia's attack for this match looks so shaky, especially if Harris happened to get injured after a few deliveries which is probably about a 15% chance of happening.

Have to get 10 overs out of Christian/Dussey/Clarke, and that's assuming that none of McKay/Doherty/Starc will get smashed and need to be supplemented themselves.
really do think this "what if he gets injured" is way over blown

If the ball is slippery and they struggle to adapt it might be iffy but they should be fine. Pretty confident in Starc/Harris/McKay putting up 20. So then Doherty/Dussey/Christian/Clarke/that guy just have to put in 12 and well if they can't do that.....

Of course there's a chance the Indian dressing room could burn down leading to an easy victory for us

_Ed_

No revision to the target?!

I don't think I'll ever fully understand D/L.