• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So the ICC evidence is finally in - and apparently even Glen McGrath chucks...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If you read the link I posted earlier about the biomechanics of illegal bowling actions, you could consider that the current test is doing it wrong.

imo you can't put 99% of all bowlers ever, in the same basket as the Ajmal variations. The study shows a theory why. You can bowl with a chucking action within the 15%.
You do understand that this word "chucking/throwing" has a completely arbitrary definition for cricket. No one ever had to prove anything. They could just as well tell us that we do not count the elbow angle and we simply take the shoulder angle for chucking, and that would be that. I am not sure of any laws that specifically mention the elbow angles.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
it's pretty funny how bitter subcontinentals are over this stuff.
8-)

Please, for the last time, look up the word hyperextension. Look up on how many people have it. Look up the word "flex". You can flex it off a straight position or you can straighten it off a bent position, as long as the angle is within 15 degrees, you are good. It is as simple as that. Please don't post **** posts like the ones on McGrath. He ALWAYS bent his arm while bowling.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The thing is, why would you coach it out of a kid if it turns out that he is actually bowling within the limits, and it turns out it's just because of his arm/elbow or something?

Also, a young talented kid probably wouldn't be sent for testing, he just wouldn't get picked in representative sides, or you just grin and bear it. Only if he were an outstanding junior, looking like he was going to be in the top 5/6 kids in the state, would they send him away for some testing to see if his action was illegal.
But Jack, is this the ONLY thing that players get away with at the club level? In my opinion, there are a number of things players get away with at that level because they never play at a higher level and this is just one of them.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
you did the same thing mate. but if you feel you know more than bradman and his ilk then whatever
I played your post, buddy.. I think whatever you suggested in those posts were stupid, not that you were. If I thought you were, why would I bother arguing with you? :)

Lostman

State Captain
Make all bowlers wear a brace, with a given angle of tolerance.
This is the only way to stop chucking in match conditions, might see a few 500 scores in ODI's for the first couple of years though...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
:wallbash: It spins more :wallbash: It spins more :wallbash: It spins more :wallbash:It spins more :wallbash: It spins more :wallbash: etc
I mean unfair in the sense of being almost unethical in the context of the game. Bowling wides to deny scoring opportunities is almost unethical, hence penalised.

Don't hurt yourself just because someone holds an unorthodox view :)

BTW who other than me finds Murali's action beautiful and mesmerising?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BTW who other than me finds Murali's action beautiful and mesmerising?
I love it, personally. He's spinning the ball properly hard in both directions with almost no discernible change in action, and landing it on a sixpence every time. It's phenomenal to watch.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
i'm sorry mate but it's just common sense.

this isn't chucking. this was never chucking,not even under the old rules. the rule was no straightening of the arm from a flexed position. guess what? mcgrath never straightened his arm from a flexed position. the perfect bowling arm.
you do understand that flexing the elbow from a straight position is chucking too? Or you just passing by such facts as they don't help your argument?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm a bit disappointed you can't be bothered to open your mind, Migara. Here's a tidbit from what you haven't been bothered to read;
But why exactly is it bad to be allowing this? The definition has always been that if you straighten your arm from bent position or you bend your arm from a straight position, you are chucking. They then did all these tests and figured out everyone is doing one or the other and set a limit of 15 degrees as the maximum allowable flex, either way. Why exactly is the type of action described there suddenly termed as unfair and illegal?