• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, Strauss needed that like a hole in the head as his recent record is terrible

Very lucky that the team is winning IMO because he's not worth his place in the team
Depends on your view of the alternatives. fwiw his averages in his last five series excluding Bang (SA, Pak, Aus, SL & India) are 24, 26, 44, 7 and 38 respectively. Not special, by any means, but maybe acceptable given he's got the captaincy and alternatves such as Carberry aren't outstanding.

As you say, the fact that we're winning covers it up for the moment. A bad 3 series here, in SL and at home to SA might change that.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
That's not always the case. c.f. Dravid's decision in England. Snicko and Hotspot disagreed. Hotspot gave a negative result, but he was given out.
Well, if there is other evidence that suggests an edge then you are hardly going to ignore it, are you?

What I'm saying is that, in a case where there is no other evidence, no spot should mean no edge. That's the only way there will be any sort of consistency.

Ruckus

International Captain
Reckon Strauss probably did nick that. He looked pretty guilty and seemed to delay the review longer than someone who knows they haven't nicked it. As one of the commentators said, the face of his bat angling away could well have masked the presence of a mark on hotspot.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I've tried my best to scrub those games from my memory, but wasn't Ian Bell in Adelaide(?) given not out because there was nothing on hot spot for something similar in the last Ashes?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've tried my best to scrub those games from my memory, but wasn't Ian Bell in Adelaide(?) given not out because there was nothing on hot spot for something similar in the last Ashes?
Yeah, when it was blatantly obvious to every man and his dog that Bell had nicked it.

Clearly some change in DRS guidance. Haven't seen the Strauss dismissal but Ajmal's was clearly not out... "umpire's call" should really only be referring to LBWs. Here, benefit of doubt must always be with the batsman, or else you enter the minefield of inconsistency.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Clearly some change in DRS guidance. Haven't seen the Strauss dismissal but Ajmal's was clearly not out... "umpire's call" should really only be referring to LBWs. Here, benefit of doubt must always be with the batsman, or else you enter the minefield of inconsistency.
Pickup says what I really wanted to say.

:thumbsup:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, when it was blatantly obvious to every man and his dog that Bell had nicked it.

I think the principle is 'reasonable evidence to overturn a decision'

Ruckus

International Captain
I think while the technology remains somewhat unreliable, 3rd umpires just have to make the best decision possible given the available evidence and their own judgement. There shouldn't be any concrete rules like 'if hotspot shows nothing' it can't be given out, because sometimes it is pretty clear the technology is wrong. Same as with that Hughes dismissal with hawkeye - the 3rd umpire should be able to say 'more times than not the technology is accurate, but in this case it is clear there is an error in the trajectory, so I will just look at the video replay and make best decision I can based on that instead'.

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
is it possible to register both side-on camera and front-on / rear cameras to the same clock, and show them side by side?

that's probably enough to get most decisions right.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Depends on your view of the alternatives. fwiw his averages in his last five series excluding Bang (SA, Pak, Aus, SL & India) are 24, 26, 44, 7 and 38 respectively. Not special, by any means, but maybe acceptable given he's got the captaincy and alternatves such as Carberry aren't outstanding.

As you say, the fact that we're winning covers it up for the moment. A bad 3 series here, in SL and at home to SA might change that.
Averaging about 30 for the last 2 years

More importantly, doesnt look like scoring a run

In any event, as you say, it will only become an issue if the team starts misfiring or a viable replacement sticks their head up