• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The batsmen who made batting look the most arduous and difficult

Flametree

International 12th Man
I know the post was meant to be about batsmen, but Ewen Chatfield and Bob Willis must rate a mention for perfecting the "curtain rail" forward defensive.

Both drove bowlers mad by forever playing at and missing anything just outside off stump but reasonably successfully blocking anything on the stumps...

Xuhaib

International Coach
don't get this thread are we talking about defensive players or just plain ugly players. Sherwin cambell takes the cake for me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't understand why BoyBrumby mentioned Khawaja. Yes he is scoring really slowly, but that's because he isn't looking to score (for some reason preoccupied with defending atm). For me he makes batting look easy, very elegant.
I can only go on what I've seen, but "elegant" would be quite some way back in the queue for apposite adjectives I'd use to describe his batting.

He's a bit bottom handed so doesn't always meet the ball with a straight bat, making him look a bit of a shoveller and, whilst set on occupation, makes it look hard (MHO, obvz) because he doesn't translate his vigils into runs.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Because the other thread was going that way anyway.

Paul Collingwood comes to mind. Always seemed to give vast amounts of effort, regardless of whether or not that was necessary at the time.
Misbah against Yuvraj Singh in the semi final wins by a country mile.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hughes is a bit unfair. When he gets going, he scores boundaries for fun off balls which really don't deserve to be scored off which should surely disqualify him from this - I think we're looking more for people who for whom every ball looks a monumental effort even if they're scoring runs.

Disagree with Dravid too. Slow/watchful yes, but he looks like he's barely expending any energy at the crease when he bats - which is one reason why he looks so bloody hard to get out when in nick (the more obvious reason being that he is).

Where is the other thread, btw?

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dravid's leaves are the best. Has a total air of 'I'm not lowering myself to even think of playing a shot at that' air about it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Dravid's leaves are the best. Has a total air of 'I'm not lowering myself to even think of playing a shot at that' air about it.
Yeah I love his leaving technique. Doesn't do the wristy flick up thing that looks good but can get you into trouble (Clarke, Hussey, looking at you). Just has a look, steps across, has another look, bat goes up.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid made batting look ****ing difficult in the tour of Australia in 07/08. Was in horrible horrible form.

But agree with the general point that he normally doesn't make batting look difficult.

Am gobsmacked by Brumbeh's call on Usman itbt. Has batted slow in tests, but no way does he make it look difficult as such. Pleasure to watch his stroke play when he gets going. Would definitely call him elegant.