• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If it was Lyon v Hadlee you'd still prefer Lyon to play imo
If Pattinson was still fit I definitely would have considered dropping Lyon for Harris at Perth. Only thing that might've stopped me would've been the chance of Harris doing a hammy on the first morning and leaving us with three bowlers all game. There's really not much point of playing Lyon at home against India IMO but there's even less point in playing Starc I reckon.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well losing 15% of your match fee is, by all reports, a major bummer. So there's a reason.

2-0 up I don't think there was a chance of any changes being made tbh. Be it Pattinson rested or Lyon out etc

benchmark00

Rana Naved is in the process of getting Australian citzenship aws.

They're flying his sister over so he can get married to her like a true Tasmanian, also.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The good news for India is that, under Fletcher, they seem to have finally got rid of their first Test of the series blues. They were more competitive in the first Test against England than any of the subsequent games and it looks like that trend is continuing against Australia. Peaking at the right time.
Is this intentionally ****y or unintentionally? Genuine question.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is this intentionally ****y or unintentionally? Genuine question.
Intentionally. Was a joke about the whole "we suck in the first Test every time so we'll be right" attitude so many of the fans seemed to have after they lost the first Test in England. To be fair not many of them played that card this time. :p

benchmark00

I'd prefer Andrew McDonald and/or DC over Lyon in Perth itbt.

Don't think Starc is in good enough form to warrant a spot, but I think Lyon is a wasted bowling spot so why not select someone who can offer a little with the ball and a little with the bat.

Obviously there's more chance of Burgey not being a **** for the next week than that happening, but still.

Spikey

I'd prefer Ritz over Lyon in Perth itbt.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

But yeah. Right arm off spinner, bowling to India, in Perth, who have one left hander in their top 8. There's not much for Lyon to get excited about is there? It's kinda a lose-lose really imo. But the chance of Starc getting Sachin is higher than Lyon's, and that would just be so so so funny, so play Starceh

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd prefer Andrew McDonald and/or DC over Lyon in Perth itbt.

Don't think Starc is in good enough form to warrant a spot, but I think Lyon is a wasted bowling spot so why not select someone who can offer a little with the ball and a little with the bat.

Obviously there's more chance of Burgey not being a **** for the next week than that happening, but still.
McDonald and Christian aren't really in good enough bowling form to warrant spots either; they've had pretty poor Shield seasons with the pill and generally haven't looked their best in any format. Christian's in career-best form with the bat but even though I don't mind the idea of picking an allrounder to replace Lyon for a game, I don't think they really justify the needs of it.

Spikey

Mitchell Starc bowling to Sachin on 99.

Sachin slaps the long hop straight to Warner.

I might actually die

Burgey

Intentionally. Was a joke about the whole "we suck in the first Test every time so we'll be right" attitude so many of the fans seemed to have after they lost the first Test in England. To be fair not many of them played that card this time. :p
So you were trolling? :ph34r:

benchmark00

McDonald and Christian aren't really in good enough bowling form to warrant spots either; they've had pretty poor Shield seasons with the pill and generally haven't looked their best in any format. Christian's in career-best form with the bat but even though I don't mind the idea of picking an allrounder to replace Lyon for a game, I don't think they really justify the needs of it.
But the whole point is that they don't need to be amazing with the ball given Lyon won't offer anything in Perth, they just need to bowl a few overs to give the front liners a spell and they'd contribute more than Lyon with the bat.

Basically Australia are playing 10 players if they go with Lyon, at least they'd be playing with 10.5 players if they go with Macca/DC.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But the whole point is that they don't need to be amazing with the ball given Lyon won't offer anything in Perth, they just need to bowl a few overs to give the front liners a spell and they'd contribute more than Lyon with the bat.

Basically Australia are playing 10 players if they go with Lyon, at least they'd be playing with 10.5 players if they go with Macca/DC.
Macca would probably get injured marking out his run up; seems allergic to First Class bowling in the last couple of seasons. But yeah I see your point. I'd sooner play Moz than either of them at this stage though, and that would just seem ****ing weird.

Butters would be a good call; can bowl into the wind, takes wickets for fun, would be an above average Test #8. Absolutely no chance though, even ignoring the fact that they've named the squad already.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain

As much as I wouldn't want Christian in the side on any long term basis, it wouldn't be a bad call to have him in the side instead of Starc. Let's be honest, the 4th bowling option, whether it be Lyon, Starc or Christian isn't likely to offer much, so as you said at least he would add a bit with the bat as well. If we choose to play 4 quicks or 3 and Lyon, and Harris breaks down it will be a massive blow regardless given the lack of a genuinely good 4th bowling option atm. .