• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah the pitch was far from perfect and I feared it'd make the toss too important when I saw it on Day 1, but it actually remained similar in the way it played throughout the match. If the majority of pitches in the world were like that we'd have a problem but in the interests of pitch variation it's definitely okay to have a pitch like that sometimes, and it's far less of a problem than all the roads we've seen in the last 5-10 years.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Absolute ****ing disgrace. Broad and the ICC are a bunch of money grubbing ****s

The only reason a pitch should ever be declared 'poor' is if its actually physically dangerous to play on

These people are utterly clueless, and care only about getting in five days of ticket paying customers. Of course, in the process they kill test cricket

So annoying

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad may be the bloke holding the gun on this one but I strongly suspect that Hussey and Clarke having several snarks about how dry the deck was on day 1 has contributed a bit to the report.

Migara

International Coach
Broad at it again.

**** ICC and there rating Spinning wickets as "poor". Why don't they go and rate the 250 par seamer friendly wicket with high bounce,pace and seam and swing movement with no spin at all as "Poor" or extremely flat roads as "Poor". Disgusting :@.
non-SC refree finding spinning pitch unfit non-shocker

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I prefer pitches where ball's coming onto bat and do subscribe to Bencheh's point of view; that a green pitch which has good pace is more entertaining because even though it's a bowler's deck, there are runs on offer for the batsmen (i.e. everyone gets a chance to exercise their skills). I don't find Tests on pitches like at Galle as entertaining but then, I prefer really aggressive play whether that be with the bat or ball. If some plonker cruises to a run-a-ball double on a road against a good attack, that's as much a 'bad' pitch for mine. There's definitely some art in watching a bloke like Hussey or Jayawardene rein in their games and play outside the V, a pitch like Galle is testing (and revealing of some players) in it's own way. If not ideal, it's still a valid pitch on which to play the game, I reckon.

It wasn't a great all-round cricket wicket but short of it actually being dangerous, not sanction-worthy for mine.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
So why doesn't any flat pancakes get any sanctions? Because the modern day batsmen are too smug to complain about it and compensate their inflated averages?

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I was under the impression that several road pitches have been investigated by the ICC over the past few years. WI, Pakistan, maybe even SL I seem to recall.