• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

pup11

International Coach
People questioning Sri Lanka's ability to take 20 wickets are obviously forgetting that this series is being played in their own den and conditions there suit them to perfectly.

Can see them playing three spinners and having Matthews and Lakmal/Prasad as the two seamers which would give them plenty of bowling options.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Do they even have three spinners???? Bit light on quality spin I reckon, we'll see how Mendis is handled by our guys, first time we've faced him in a test, could be harsh, if they even pick Mendis, element of surprise....

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Hmm its probably unlikely, but I wonder if this means Lyon and/or Copeland might be a shock inclusion for the first test:

Australia news: Trent Copeland, Nathan Lyon bring confidence, freshness says Greg Chappell | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo
How anyone can use the term 'shock inclusion' when talking about our selectors is beyond me.

Anyway, I would have thought that Copeland was pretty logical. Why should Siddle get the new ball when he was so poor with it over 4/5 innings against Zim? You can't give it to Mr Left-Arm Anxious and Harris can't bowl from both ends.

I think the squad is ok mostly and I just hope that the batsmen show some fight. I'm fed up to the gills with the middle order folding. Punter is now talking about how he is still having trouble with his finger. He could do himself a favour by not reminding us of Melbourne and his failure of responsibility there.

Last edited:

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
Do they even have three spinners???? Bit light on quality spin I reckon, we'll see how Mendis is handled by our guys, first time we've faced him in a test, could be harsh, if they even pick Mendis, element of surprise....
I'd probably be disappointed if we pick him. Hardly the third best spinner in the country.

adub

International Captain
I think Copeland as a direct swap for Hilfenhaus is a strong possibility.
A fit Harris plays. Johnson will play also, so Copeland is up against Siddle and I wouldn't discount Pattinson playing in front of him either. Don't necessarily agree with it, but I think Siddle is going to play at least the first test.

Ruckus

International Captain
How anyone can use the term 'shock inclusion' when talking about our selectors is beyond me.

Well tbh it would be a shock inclusion because, as adub said, Johnson and Harris are both essentially lock-ins and Copeland would be up against Siddle and Pattinson - both who have pace which is the supreme quality a bowler can possess (apparently). So I'd be highly suprised (but very happy!) if Copeland debuts. Think it is more likely that Lyon will debut, but both probably won't unless there are injuries.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't consider Harris a lock in at all knowing these guys....

ps
haddin @ 6 and 4 bowlers and a spinner you know it's happening

Ruckus

International Captain
Assuming Harris isn't injured, you don't consider him a certainty? I think it's HIGHLY unlikely Harris would be omitted, and for good reason too because he would easily be our best bowler in those conditions imo.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
ps
haddin @ 6 and 4 bowlers and a spinner you know it's happening
You see, I wouldn't mind this so much if we picked O'Keefe in our squad. As it stands, no 4 quicks and spinner combination is good enough to bat from 7 to 11.

Also, with Watson in the team 4 pace bowlers in Sri Lanka is slight overkill.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Assuming Harris isn't injured, you don't consider him a certainty? I think it's HIGHLY unlikely Harris would be omitted, and for good reason too because he would easily be our best bowler in those conditions imo.
I reckon he's our best in any conditions apart from humidity at the Gabba - Hilf - and an early seabreeze at the Waca - Johnson.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Don't want four pacemen. If Johnson turns up you don't need them and they don't help if he doesn't.

Last edited:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
You see, I wouldn't mind this so much if we picked O'Keefe in our squad. As it stands, no 4 quicks and spinner combination is good enough to bat from 7 to 11.

Or take 20 wickets a lot of the time.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

See the more flaws you find with it the more confident i am in them doing it.

As above really. Should be the first bowler picked. In reality...

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Disappointing from Rob Craddock in the paper this morning:

I almost crashed into my cornflakes on Sunday morning reading where NSW spinner Stephen O'Keefe - have you heard of him? - was seeking an "honest and frank response" from selection chairman Andrew Hilditch about his future after being left out of the Sri Lanka Test party, for which seemingly no one except himself thought he was a chance.

O'Keefe rang Hilditch, who did not reply. Hilditch is not big on returning phone calls but on this occasion you couldn't blame him. A chairman should never have to explain why a player who has been a part-timer for his state for five years is not playing for his country.

I don't want to build O'Keefe up into something he is not, however with a FC average of 25, he's entitled to feel a bit miffed being leapfrogged by the likes of Lyon and Beer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craddock is a born moron and his crap about O'Keefe in there is ridiculous. I don't think any more needs to be said about it. I actually do think he makes some good points about some of the other players he mentions but it was basically just sensationalist bull****.