• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

TumTum

Banned
Other than that I'd agree with the side unless we face a dustbowl. Then the second spinner should play instead of Johnson.
Johnson can do well on those types of pitches, it would be good to have a hit the deck bowler on a dry pitch. Copeland's lack of pace would be bad and I trust Harris to do a good job. So I'd drop Copeland.

Andre

International Regular
in other news, missing cricketer Peter George is still missing.
Last spotted hanging out with Paul Wilson, Matthew Nicholson, Beau Casson, Chris Rogers and Clint MacKay at a one-hit-wonders cover band night.

howardj

International Coach
10 bad tests? on the trot? GAGF FFS THATS ALL HE"S PLAYED :laugh:
Big deal.

Seven bad tests in a row doesn't read much better for his supporters.

Just irks me that, after being a walking wicket in the Ashes, he's back there...with yet another opportunity.

He's been so worked out and worked over it's painful to watch.

adub

International Captain
You don't debut young fast bowlers in the sub continent. Just shouldn't do it.
I'd agree if we're talking a genuine quick like Pattinson. A nice easy introduction against NZ or WI would be perfect either home or away if you can. Copeland is a very different kind of bowler though.

Johnson can do well on those types of pitches, it would be good to have a hit the deck bowler on a dry pitch. Copeland's lack of pace would be bad and I trust Harris to do a good job. So I'd drop Copeland.
Complete disagree obviously. Johnson can do well on any type of pitch. Point is he usually doesn't. He just doesn't have any control and if it isn't doing anything off the pitch or in the air he's just going to give good batsmen too many 4 balls. He also doesn't really hit the pitch. With his low arm he skids it and that just makes anything with width bounce 20m back from the point boundary fence.

Copeland's lack of pace is more an asset than a liability. Combined with his height and control he just doesn't give you anything to drive, cut or pull. You have to go unorthodox to try and make something happen either by backing away or by going across your stumps, but that opens up the chance for him to attack the stumps and get you bowled or lb. Much harder to time, and because he's coming down from a much greater height he gets more variable bounce on flat decks than Johnson. If a crack opens up just outside off and just short of a length Copes will hit it all day long, Johnson wouldn't get within a metre of it. And lastly you can bowl Copeland all day long and he'll back up again tomorrow. You wouldn't trust Johnson for any sort of long spell in adverse conditions even if he's having one of his rare good days. Can you imagine the carnage if he loses the radar completely and the spinners are getting stick? You're left with bowling Harris and Watson into the ground and breaking Harris and leaving Watson too stuffed to open.

Harris doing a good job is a given, but not for 25-30 overs a day on a flat deck at high temps and 100% humidity. He needs to be used sparingly in short bursts same as Johnson, but unlike Mitch you don't need to cross you fingers and hope that today will be one of the days he can hit the pitch. He won't survive the three tests if he has to bowl a huge amount of overs, but use him smartly he'll make the breakthroughs you need. Watson similar in that you can't bowl him too long, but he'll come on and wobble it around and get you a wicket.

That's why I see Copes as a must have. He will do the donkey work for you, but still pick up some wickets and has the ability to run through a side if the conditions are favourable. Siddle will be called on to do this job if he's picked instead, and will probably do it ok, but he's a more hit and miss proposition than Copeland I believe.

howardj

International Coach
But he had breakfast in the wrong place once!
just lol

and has been cleaned up, comprehensively exposed, in just a small matter of all his last seven Tests.

FTR only obsequious fanboys would think it's normal to be attending functions on the morning of the Boxing Day test. Clearly, your standards are as high as CA's.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He did ok in NZ before the Ashes.
NZ being the operative word.

Can see Hughes having a good series here. Great time to be playing Sri Lanka. They haven't got a seam attack or a spinner.

Beer will more than likely to cause no problems, though I recall Ashley Giles doing well in Sri Lanka. Risk taking Lyon, especially as he will more than likely be targeted as the man who needs to go.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would select

Marsh
Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Copeland
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Our tail is looking strong. :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Can anyone tell me what time the Tests are on in Australia?

So excited at the prospect of Copeland, Lyon and Marsh playing Test Cricket. Loved following them the last few years, and it's good to see most Cricket Webbers getting on board!

pup11

International Coach
Lyon, Beer, Marsh and Pattinson have done little to deserve to be in the Australian test side, also can't understand why they would leave out Bollinger from the test side because of fitness concerns and yet pick someone like Harris whose fitness track record is even worse.

I really don't know what sort of message the Australian selectors are trying to send through to the likes of O'Keffe, Cosgrove, Finch and other consistent domestic performers by preferring players with inferior records over them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Would select

Marsh
Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Copeland
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Our tail is looking strong. :)
I'd pitch Mitch over Siddle in that lineup itbt. Like the batting order in the middle order but there's no chance Watto's going anywhere from opener. Unless Clarke kneecaps him again to make him...

As for Lyon vs. Beer, the argument against Lyon is that he's played hardly FC matches and Test cricket is no place to be learning your game. All completely legitimate criticisms, but then you see who the other spinner they picked...

DeusEx's lineup is the one I'd choose, personally, given that squad.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Lyon, Beer, Marsh and Pattinson have done little to deserve to be in the Australian test side.
8-)

I can't find my older post on this, but basically Marsh has averaged 55-60 over the last three seasons of Shield Cricket, and you look silly.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If there was any chance of Ponting dropping down the order, I'd go for something like:

Hughes
Watson
Khawaja
Clarke
Hussey
Ponting
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Copeland
Lyon