• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 3 - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well, Taylor and Ryder gifted away their wickets, and that's when it all turned to custard.

It's almost as if they had been listening to Pat Symcox, and realised that having wickets in hand was not important.

Turning 240 min into 220 max. Great stuff NZ brains trust.
I agree, it's the collapse that lost it for them. Williamson doing his best to bat out the 50 overs while taking 8 runs from an excellent Steyn over is a damn good effort.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Perfect stage set for a choke from SA. Their game to lose after an excellent bowling effort.

Francis

State Vice-Captain

Man I'm worried. I was thinking South Africa would bowl New Zealand out for much less. I'll be glued to my set for the rest of this game. C'MON SOUTH AFRICA!!!

Howe_zat

Audio File
I still think 240 would have been a good score here, so 222 is defendable. Still going to need a magic spell to crack the South African top order.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The brittleness of SA's middle and lower order is highly overrated TBH (basically off that England game). Duminy, Du Plessis, Botha, and Peterson have all shown they can adapt to the situation and get the job done.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Luckily for NZ, they brought in the two W's to knock over SA.

(Woodcock and Williamson, not Waqar and Wasim)

R_D

International Debutant
Jeez some NZ fans are over sensitive on this forum.

South Africa should really win this comfortably but it is a pressure match so could be a tight match.

NZ 20 or 30 runs short of a good total.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The brittleness of SA's middle and lower order is highly overrated TBH (basically off that England game). Duminy, Du Plessis, Botha, and Peterson have all shown they can adapt to the situation and get the job done.
Yeah, would say this. Duminy is class and Du Plessis hasn't been picked for nothing. Botha at #7 is a touch shaky but it's not a huge issue. It's just not their strength like it used to be.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Thought we should've made at least 250 given the partnership from Taylor and Ryder, so it was a shame to only reach 220 and really SA should have no issue achieving that. I realise they've a history of losing crucial matches at WCs and we've beaten them in the last two tournaments but I hardly think this current South African bunch are haunted by that. Would love to be proven wrong but frankly we're just not good enough to trouble SA's batsmen with a below par total to defend.

Howsie

International Captain
New Zealand, with eight wickets in hand should have taken the batting PP around the 30th over imo, treat it like like a 20/20.

They're about 30 short imo, 220 is a decent score in a QF but with New Zealand really only having Southee and Vettori as genuine wicket taking options South Africa should do it.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, the thought process is pretty dire.

I imagine the thinking was to wait until the new batsman were set, which is silly.
Heck, having the fielders in can actually help kick start an innings.

It's pretty weird, because up until this game NZ had been one of the better users of the PP. The way they used it in the Pakistan game was brilliant. The way they used it tonight was pretty Australian-esque. i.e dire

They basically batted at 2-3rpo for 4-5 overs to make sure they had enough wickets in hand and two set batsman all because of a piddly 5 over PP. Mindboggling. No, mindblasting.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
222 should be easy for SA but with their tendency to blow winning positions ( not going to use c word :laugh: ) then you can't rule out NZ.