• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 2 - India v Australia

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pup11

International Coach
Not many architects could save a building when over half the pillars of said success were knocked out and replaced with cheap imports.

Vinny's not a genius but pinning the team's failures on him is a smidge harsh.
Really mate..!? I mean Ponting gets flogged pretty much from everywhere for the drop in Australia's performance in recent times and I don't see why it should be any different for Nielsen.

Infact the criticism that both of them have had coming their way is kind of fair enough because the results they have mustered up in the last 18 months or so really don't do justice to the kind of resources they had at their disposal.

Its true that we have lost a lot of great players in the last few years, but its been the same for the other teams as well so to just say dip in Australia's performances is purely because our greats are no longer in the team is just not a fair assessment of things.

Anyways, I just hate it when Nielsen comes out in the press and talks because the guy obviously has no know-how of handling the media because its just stupid to go out there and hype up an already challenging game by calling it a 'mini-final'.

As far the game is concerned don't think I've been this excited and nervous about a game in a long time, I just hope Ricky can turn his batting form around because in a big game runs from him would be vital to our cause.

pup11

International Coach
I don't disagree with the criticisms of the team but I think you're over-estimating how much sway the coach has these days, especially with regards selection and tactics. Vinny's extremely hands-off and, for the purposes of avoiding career-limiting moves, in a team where Rick Ponting is the captain, that's probably a good thing.
...And how do you know that..? If I'm not wrong I think Stuey Clark came out pretty openly during the Ashes and said that Nielsen's approach is anything but hands-off, he likes to make all the fancy decisions and has a large say in whatever decisions and plans are made.

Spark

Global Moderator
IIRC he suggested that there was tension between Clarke and Nielsen in the T20 WC, due to Clarke also being a "my way..." sort of captain, and suggested that if Clarke became captain Nielsen should back off. Not sure whether it's true.

As for Ricky. If we do lose this game, then I want to see Ricky going down blazing. ****, if he gives us just a glimpse of what he could do 5 years ago then I'll be happy. Don't think it'll happen, but it'd be so wonderful if it did, result notwithstanding.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
has Stuart Clarke retired? He used to be such a fantastic bowler. Had one of the most unique bowling actions ever.

Spark

Global Moderator
has Stuart Clarke retired? He used to be such a fantastic bowler. Had one of the most unique bowling actions ever.
Got injured, came back but had lost a bit of pace. Still great value on greentops but on anything else looked like he could get hammered, which is bad for a line-and-length merchant like him cf. Headingley 2nd innings and the Oval in the Ashes 09. More or less tacitly retired from international cricket since then, currently injured again.

And it's CLARK not CLARKE :p

And lol @ the Australian. "Stepehn"... well done on that

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
IIRC he suggested that there was tension between Clarke and Nielsen in the T20 WC, due to Clarke also being a "my way..." sort of captain, and suggested that if Clarke became captain Nielsen should back off. Not sure whether it's true.

As for Ricky. If we do lose this game, then I want to see Ricky going down blazing. ****, if he gives us just a glimpse of what he could do 5 years ago then I'll be happy. Don't think it'll happen, but it'd be so wonderful if it did, result notwithstanding.
There was tension becuase Nielsen felt Clarke didn't deserve to be in the team let alone be the captain (or atleast that's what the rumors were), but that again proves the point that Nielsen wants to poke his nose in everything and probably doesn't realise that in cricket a coach has to play second fiddle to the captain.

Also I hate to break this to you but if we happen to lose and get knocked out in the quarter finals then I doubt we would see Ricky Ponting playing again for Australia regardless of how well he might play, I guess he knows that too and he is desperate to win this worldcup and that's why time and again he has lost his cool during the tournament.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmmm. I remember posting that article here myself and Clark was pretty clear that Neilsen had to back off and that led to problems. Although Neilsen adamantly denied it later. Mind you, not arguing that it's possible there would be tension about Clarke not meriting a place in the T20 side. Anyone with half a brain could see that.

---

Yeah, I was right: The Ashes fifth Test | Michael Clarke and coach Tim Nielsen

As a starting point, they must first understand that Clarke is a lot more opinionated than his predecessor.

He will always argue his point strongly, and for him to change his way of thinking they will need a strong counter-argument. They should not see this as a negative but rather indicative of a strong leader who lives and dies by the sword.

The coaching staff must therefore learn how to deal with this part of Clarke's persona and, rather than get their backs up, find a way to discuss and manage issues. From all reports, this might have been an issue for some of the coaching staff during the World Twenty20, and is something that must be addressed.

It is my belief Clarke will want full control, and this might mean Nielsen has to take a back seat on several fronts. It might be better if he provides support and guidance to Clarke rather than a dominant hand. He should then ensure the rest of the side are having their requirements met - be they extra netting time, throwdowns, catching, fielding work, bowling work or just sitting down and talking to player about their fears and concerns.

---

Also I hate to break this to you but if we happen to lose and get knocked out in the quarter finals then I doubt we would see Ricky Ponting playing again for Australia regardless of how well he might play, I guess he knows that too and he is desperate to win this worldcup and that's why time and again he has lost his cool during the tournament.

That was kind of my point. If this is true, and I think there's a strong chance it will be given all the speculation around, then I want to see him going out in a blaze of glory. Remind anyone that just two years ago he was being seriously talked about as the second greatest batsman of all time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There was tension becuase Nielsen felt Clarke didn't deserve to be in the team let alone be the captain (or atleast that's what the rumors were)
Haha you can't bag Nielsen for not thinking Clarke shouldn't have been in the T20 team, let alone captain. Everyone was thinking it, and Clarke no longer plays T20 cricket. So he was proven 100% correct.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha you can't bag Nielsen for not thinking Clarke shouldn't have been in the T20 team, let alone captain. Everyone was thinking it, and Clarke no longer plays T20 cricket. So he was proven 100% correct.
Not at all, but Stuey wasn't making that point.

pup11

International Coach
Ok... so this is my XI for the game...

#Haddin
#Watto
#Ponting
#Clarke
#Mussey
#Dussey
#Smith
#Johnson
#Lee
#Hastings
#Tait

White just has to go, he looks horribly out of touch and worldcup knock-out stage isn't the place for him to find form, with Dussey coming in at #6 we have a good attacking strokeplayer against spin and his offies too add another dimension to the bowling attack.

Hastings too is a better option than Krezja imo especially if the wicket is flat and when we are playing against a team that plays spin well, of course Krezja hasn't done anything wrong to get dropped but the way he bowls he needs close-in fielders to get wickets and since that's unlikely to happen therefore he isn't adding any real value to the side.

Using Smith or Johnson as a floatter in the batting order is an option we should seriously consider if we get stuck against spin, it would make lot of sense to promote one of those two to break the shackles in the middle overs rather than letting bowlers dictate terms.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the Aussies negotiate Zak successfully, they will win this game IMO. The number of right-handers in their lineup will assist their cause.