• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

howardj

International Coach
And guess what? We're fifth in the world, so we may as well invest in some young talent. To get back to the top we'll have to be patient anyway.

Ruckus

International Captain
Awta, that's what I loved most about him in SA. Giving him a chance in SL before the SA series will go a long way to building up his confidence again after it's been heavily abused by England.
Hmmm....I'm not sure about that. First and foremost the team needs to win again, and I think Katich has to replace Hughes for the Sri Lanka series. I also think he has to work on modifying his game, and the time between now and that series, just isn't enough for anything significant to change. The last thing we want is him being destroyed again in another series - if that happens he might not get another go in the team for a long, long time.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
As a neutral, I can understand sidelining Katich for Hughes - understand not support. But backing this hack which goes around in the name of Steve Waugh, Shane Warne is just lunacy!

Spark

Global Moderator
Okay, let's see how he copes in Sri Lanka against Mendis, Herath, and Randiv. I am sure his techinical flaw outside the off stump won't come into play there.
Probably not great, because he isn't test standard here.

But some of this "oh, he's **** and will stay ****" nonsense is absolute, well, nonsense.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sky Sports | Cricket | Columnists | David Lloyd | Let's go to the Bop

Is Bumble right? Are were all deluded into thinking Australia still has a good talent pool? Are Smith, Hughes and Khawaja highly rated simply because of some feeble sense of hope that they might be the next big thing, or, in reality, are they just mediocre players who won't produce in the long run?
That's not what Bumble is saying. He is absolutely correct in that people have not grasped that the talent pool to draw from is nothing like as good as it used to be even five years ago, let alone in the 90s.

Fortunately, some people have.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lloyd's mis-characterises English cricket, I feel. They didn't just wait for awesome players to leap out of juniors, have always produced good players. Just weren't used well, inconsistent selection, poor coaching, favouritism, desperately hanging onto past glories, etc.

Sounds familiar.

Spark

Global Moderator
Lloyd's mis-characterises English cricket, I feel. They didn't just wait for awesome players to leap out of juniors, have always produced good players. Just weren't used well, inconsistent selection, poor coaching, favouritism, desperately hanging onto past glories, etc.

Sounds familiar.
I think I know what you're saying but I also think you're missing a few words that would make this post a lot easier to understand...

Ruckus

International Captain
That's not what Bumble is saying. He is absolutely correct in that people have not grasped that the talent pool to draw from is nothing like as good as it used to be even five years ago, let alone in the 90s.

Fortunately, some people have.
No, actually it is essentially what he is saying:

"but most of the complaints assume that the talent is there in the first place.

Well I'm sorry folks, it isn't."

"...and now they're coming up with Phillip Hughes, Steven Smith and Usman Khawaja.

That simply doesn't compare. They haven't got the players and they need to be patient until they find some."

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yeah, but that's not exactly saying "mediocre players who won't produce". He's just saying they're not as good as the aforementioned, that's all.

Ruckus

International Captain
"But most of the complaints assume that the talent is there in the first place.

Well I'm sorry folks, it isn't"

tooextracool

International Coach
I think they really messed with his head when they dropped him in 2009.

Sort of like when they dropped Slats.

Confidence shattered, never the same again.
Shouldnt be playing test cricket then. If you cant handle being dropped when you arent good enough, then you arent ready for test cricket

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I disagree with Bumble slightly in that I do think talent is out there but, for various reasons, a lot of the talented guys aren't selectors' favourites.

Part of the problem is that the selectors are ignoring these players when, really, Australia isn't in a position to do so anymore. It's like the bankers' bonuses, no one really cared whilst the bubble was still inflating, but once it burst and showered us all with schisse people start to notice these things. Same with the exclusion of Hussey jr, Rogers, Cosgrove, Hodge, Symonds, Hauritz, etc; now the test side has gone to poo their exclusions become rather harder to justify and people are getting antsy.

Ruckus

International Captain
The thing is though with the older, talented guys like Dussey and Rogers etc. they won't even be in contention much longer anyway because of their age. So once those guys are out of the picture, you have to just look at the younger guys (who I think Bumble is really referring to).

I'm not sure I agree with Bumble that there is no significant talent amongst those players, but it definately is a possibility. While Khawaja looks very promising, he could end up averaging 40 in FC cricket in the long-term for all I know. Just because a player looks quality, doesn't mean they can produce good results - Callum Ferguson being a good example. Phillip Hughes is another one. He was averaging above 60 for quite a while in FC cricket and everyone (the media :ph34r:) was going on about how he was the next Ponting, but suddenly his FC average has dropped more than a whopping 10 and seems to be continuing downwards. Smith was similar case - FC record above 50 (people got excited), then dropped to low 40's and is continuing to fall.

While I think some of these players at least will actually turn out to be quality test cricketers in the long-term, you can't discount the notion that perhaps our talent reserve might end up being far more disappointing than a lot of us initally thought.

Ruckus

International Captain
The same. But Smith is also only two off Ferguson despite playing only half the games. It doesn't really prove much, what matters is the long-term results, and Khawaja has only played 28 games which really isn't enough to get an accurate picture of his talent.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Khawaja is far more technically correct than either Steve or Hughes right now so I'd be very surprised if he ended up averaging 40 in FC

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I don't think he will either, you just have a good feeling about him, but I can't say I would be overly suprised if he did. There are plenty of other technically sound players out there who have average records. I mentioned Ferguson, but there are others likes Cowan and even Paine who look pretty damn good.