• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC's All time ODI dream XI

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kapil was ranked the number 1 ODI all rounder in the ICC ratings for 10 straight years, when he had competition from Imran, Botham, and Hadlee.

Link

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Crowe
Lara
Bevan
Kapil
Akram
Warne
Garner
McGrath

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hasn't had anywhere near the longevity of some of the names mentioned, but I'm shocked Flintoff hasn't come up in the all rounder discussion. Genuine top 5 batsman and terrific bowler.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sehwag there is pretty dire, he isn't even that good or that innovative. No Garner is interesting either.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan not making it is worse.

Gilchrist (wk)
Tendulkar
Richards
Ponting (C)
Hussey
Bevan
Klusener
Wasim
Warne
Garner
McGrath

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hasn't had anywhere near the longevity of some of the names mentioned, but I'm shocked Flintoff hasn't come up in the all rounder discussion. Genuine top 5 batsman and terrific bowler.
He'd probably be worth discussing, but he generally needed to bat earlier to get himself in before exploding. He's certainly not on his Pat Malone, but I'd rather pick a Kapil or Lance, because my all-rounder will be batting at 7, and they're better suited to taking people downtown from ball one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Kapil was ranked the number 1 ODI all rounder in the ICC ratings for 10 straight years, when he had competition from Imran, Botham, and Hadlee.

Link

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Crowe
Lara
Bevan
Kapil
Akram
Warne
Garner
McGrath
Kapil definitely has Botham and Imran covered. As a genuine allrounder to bat seven he has Hadlee covered too. I don't think the great Test allrounders of the 80s quite converted that to ODIs as well as the more modern allrounders in general though, and that's coming from someone who'd be considering Abbas, Chappell and Greenidge for this team so I hardly have much of a modern bias.

Kallis and Flintoff are both players I'd like to include in theory but they'd need to bat in the top five, and I don't think I can really justify that with the other middle order bats available. I think I'd go with Klusener at seven and Pollock at eight. I'd have Viv in the team to chip in with the ball too, and maybe even Symonds, so I'm more comfortable with Klusener as the fifth bowler in an all-time team than I would be with Kapil Dev batting seven.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't rate Pollock's batting at all, FTR.

I think its ridiculous some people consider him the best ODI player of all time.
I don't recall Pollock being a great bat either.

I have to agree, he would rather love to play against and try to beat that team.
????

Link

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Crowe
Lara
Bevan
Kapil
Akram
Warne
Garner
McGrath
That is indeed outstanding.

Bevan not making it is worse.

Gilchrist (wk)
Tendulkar
Richards
Ponting (C)
Hussey
Bevan
Klusener
Wasim
Warne
Garner
McGrath
Yes. I agree. In all time ODI XI you need to have Bevan in there. There is probably no other ODI batsman who could play knocks under pressure as well as he could as well as his batting with the tail was outstanding.

Kapil definitely has Botham and Imran covered. As a genuine allrounder to bat seven he has Hadlee covered too. I don't think the great Test allrounders of the 80s quite converted that to ODIs as well as the more modern allrounders in general though, and that's coming from someone who'd be considering Abbas, Chappell and Greenidge for this team so I hardly have much of a modern bias.

Kallis and Flintoff are both players I'd like to include in theory but they'd need to bat in the top five, and I don't think I can really justify that with the other middle order bats available. I think I'd go with Klusener at seven and Pollock at eight. I'd have Viv in the team to chip in with the ball too, and maybe even Symonds, so I'm more comfortable with Klusener as the fifth bowler in an all-time team than I would be with Kapil Dev batting seven.
I see people rate Klusener very highly over here for his ODIs but I think Klusener only had a very good 2-3 year period (including an outstanding 1999 WC) other than that he was pretty ordinary. Why is he being talked about for an all time ODI XI when there could be much better options.

And I would agree that Kapil as an ODI all rounder is >> Botham, Imran, and Hadlee. Imran's bowling in ODIs was pretty dire most of the times since he played a lot of ODIs post 1987 when he wasn't such a great bowler. His captaincy though was another matter. Arguably the finest ODI captain ever. Hadlee was a very good ODI bowler as well but his batting was not quite as good as Kapil. Before Wasim and then the 90s brigade took over Kapil was the highest wicket taker in ODIs and he was very good as well.

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
First XI

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Abbas
Bevan
Dhoni(c)
Klusener
Pollock
Wasim
Murali
McGrath

Second XI

Jayasuriya
Anwar
Lara
Ponting (c)
De Silva
Symonds
Kapil Dev
Moin Khan (wk) / Boucher
Saqlain
Donald
Garner

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Wow Migara, Moin Khan didn't even make the list of 100 qualified players.

Feel free to vote for your top 25 ODI Cricketers of all time in the appropriate thread :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
First XI

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Abbas
Bevan
Dhoni(c)
Klusener
Pollock
Wasim
Murali
McGrath

Second XI

Jayasuriya
Anwar
Lara
Ponting (c)
De Silva
Symonds
Kapil Dev
Moin Khan (wk) / Boucher
Saqlain
Donald
Garner
I just don't personally like the idea of having a keeper running around in the field in an all time side. I know that Gilchrist did it a couple of times early in his career (poorly), and I haven't seen Dhoni in the field when I've watched.

smash84

The Tiger King
First XI

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Abbas
Bevan
Dhoni(c)
Klusener
Pollock
Wasim
Murali
McGrath

Second XI

Jayasuriya
Anwar
Lara
Ponting (c)
De Silva
Symonds
Kapil Dev
Moin Khan (wk) / Boucher
Saqlain
Donald
Garner
The bowling attack for the first team looks quite strong and why have Gilchrist and Dhoni in the same team???