• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricketer has the most complete record?

bagapath

International Captain
i dont know how to interpret this 50+ stat either. marshall was probably too good that a lot of potentially 50+ batsmen remained in the 40s because he got them early. you can never say. it was not easy to average above 50 in the 70s and 80s; in fact, except 1930s and 2000s, 50+ had always been a difficult number to achieve. and anyways.... we all agree that mcgrath succeeded in a batsman friendly age and that does place him as close to the top of the tree as marshall. but this 50+ stat is difficult for me to understand.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
i dont know how to interpret this 50+ stat either. marshall was probably too good that a lot of potentially 50+ batsmen remained in the 40s because he got them early. you can never say. it was not easy to average above 50 in the 70s and 80s; in fact, except 1930s and 2000s, 50+ had always been a difficult number to achieve. and anyways.... we all agree that mcgrath succeeded in a batsman friendly age and that does place him as close to the top of the tree as marshall. but this 50+ stat is difficult for me to understand.
Or because he had 3 other great bowlers alongside getting them out before they inflated his bowling average or their own batting average *shrug* There are far too many factors at play and it could be interpreted n number of ways.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which is why any statistical analysis of players must be taken with a good dose of common sense.

Otherwise Samaraweera could be considered a better player than Border.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar making out a decent case for his inclusion in this thread after his exploits against/in SA in the last year.

kingkallis

International Coach
Jacques Kallis has a great case here.

11947 runs @ 57.43 with 40 hundreds and 54 fifties
270 wickets @ 32.01 with 5 five wicket hauls
166 catches

Man of the match awards - 22 ( Highest by any )
Man of the series awards - 9 ( 2nd to Murali )

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Logic would also suggest that he should not average 32 in New Zealand going by his performances against stronger sides given they were one of the weaker sides back then.In many cases cricket defies logic.I am only pointing out that if two players have equally good records but if one has played more and against a wider variety of opponents then that player should get the slight edge.

If a batsmen averages 50 in Australia,RSA,NZ,SL,India and Pakistan and another averages 50 in RSA,NZ,Aus and SL after playing a similar number of games,who would you say has the better record?That is not to say that the second person could not perform in India and Pakistan if he played there but there is no way of telling for certain.
Dammit Ava de man was injured half way thru the test series and added to that, both

Holding and Garner retired after the first test. Still in terms of completeness Marshall over

Mcgrath ne day. People r seriously holding a measely 3 tests away to NZL as a lack of

completeness?

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
how about jack hobbs? didnt he do well in test cricket for over 20 years playing in completely different circumstances with rule changes etc. and eras separated by a world war? and don bradman? and sir len hutton?

these batsmen overcame every challenge thrown at them during their long careers and came out on top.

i wonder who among postwar batsmen other than sachin tendulkar and allan border would have had either successful or satisfactory records against everyone everywhere. greg chappell would also come close but though he averaged 36 against NZ in austalia he never scored a hundred against them at home. I guess that would count against being called "complete"
If memory serves me correctly, I think Rohan Kanhai my have averaged 40 + home and away vs every1. Dont quote me on that

bagapath

International Captain
sachin pushing his average in SA to 46 strengthens his case for this title. now he averages 40+ against everyone and in every country. in fact it is 46+ everywhere except in pak where it is 40.25

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
sachin pushing his average in SA to 46 strengthens his case for this title. now he averages 40+ against everyone and in every country. in fact it is 46+ everywhere except in pak where it is 40.25
It's a pity he is unlikely to get a chance to improve his record in Pakistan though.

In current form ,there he would get it to above 50 in one series easily.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He has been...for about 3 series.

Take Steyn out of the attack and S.Africa will be very average. Morkel leading the attack without him? I have my doubts about that. The support bowlers + spinners are also very average.

Last edited: