• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Well we havent batted too well in Perth tests on day 1 recently, our top order against South Africa, England, India and even Pakistan in 04 were all bowled out pretty quickly in the first innings. I'd be bowling first.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Okay. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm saying that it's talked about a bit more than it really should be.

Just saying that I, personally, don't think that windy conditions will provide clear-cut selection criteria. I think that whoever bowls better is more likely to take wickets more or less regardless of conditions. While Bresnan may be a touch more suited to it than Tremlett, for example, I don't think it would be enough of a difference to justify selecting the more defensive bowler in a four-man attack.

Generally speaking, I get the impression conditions as a whole tend to be talked up more than they deserve in previews and punditry because it gives someone a valid, if circumstantial, opinion to voice, rather than because they often change the course of matches.
Newcomers put Australians on the front foot

Finally, there are five bowlers competing for four spots. In choosing the final XI for Perth, the key is to have bowlers who can bowl with the breeze as well as those who can bowl into it because the Fremantle Doctor creates two games within the one.

If the breeze is normal, the best method of success is usually to attack with pace, bounce and carry from the Lillee-Marsh Stand end with the breeze, and defend from the Prindiville Stand end with either a spinner or outswing bowler. For years, WA used to dominate teams by being boring and defensive from the Prindiville Stand end and attacking and downright scary from the other.

This means the bowling attack would most likely be Mitchell Johnson and either Peter Siddle or Ryan Harris, who will be the ''wind bowlers''. Their job will be to charge in and bowl fast, attack and intimidate and give Australia the potency it has been missing. Ben Hilfenhaus, Michael Beer and perhaps Shane Watson, meanwhile, will be asked to be defensive from the other end to stop the English from scoring too quickly and dominating in the contest.
I think the fact that the breeze is so reliable means that you can factor it into your planning, which you can't afford to do at other grounds. It's actually a controllable, and you know exactly what the conditions are going to be at each end.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
**** Perth.

Honestly, start the ****ing game already. Bored as here, waiting for it.
You'll be loving it when you get home from work and actually get to watch the cricket rather than just the highlights on the news.

hazsa19

International Regular
its just dawned on me i won't be in bed till 10 ****ing am. This is madness. Who thought to put a city 2 fricken timezones away from the rest of the country?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
its just dawned on me i won't be in bed till 10 ****ing am. This is madness. Who thought to put a city 2 fricken timezones away from the rest of the country?
Happens when your country is bigger than a piece of A4 paper :D

I remember in 09 the England supporters on here bemoaning how a test match wasn't anywhere near them- looked it up the match was 70 miles away. FMD, people commute to work that far here. Catch a ****ing train and watch it

(not directed at you btw mate :))

James

Cricket Web Owner
You'll be loving it when you get home from work and actually get to watch the cricket rather than just the highlights on the news.
What are they doing with the News and a Current Affair tonight anyway? Will we have to painfully suit through that ? :mellow:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Does this not mean the Eastern states get cut off from Channel 9 coverage even earlier?
I may be wrong, but I think the news coincides (partially) with the tea break for the eastern states, then we get 2 hours of cricket after the news.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Good move, no Beer.

Smith and Watson, and the incredible flexibility that they give us - we should exploit that more often:

- Playing Smith as the lone spinner when there are seaming conditions (as here)

It's one of our current strengths, the flexibility they gives us.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't have to go that far...you have to wonder why they chose him in the first place if he was going to be left out.
Mind games with the English? Selectors see promise in him and want him around the squad?

I don't know, I just feel more confident than I did 30 minutes ago.