• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Howe_zat

Audio File
I wasn't seriously saying Hopkins is a NWM, I know he's better than that. NZ have a good oppertunity here, if they get less than 400 it will be a hell of a disappointment for them.

Judging by recent Tests in India, NZ will want to make sure that they're ahead by the start of the fourth day. Considering India's batting line-up and the innocuous pitch, they'll probably need to bat until late tomorrow to manage that.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Was watching up until lunch break yesterday so was pleasantly surprised to see how we fared. Was expecting McIntosh and Guptill to get 50 then get out soon after but they seemed to have batted really well.
McIntosh also looked the part. First time I've seen him play and he's looked like a Test quality batsman. The hat may have something to do with this too imo. Really looked like a 1970s player when he had the cap on and hair out the back.

This innings has changed my opinion tbh. He can do a job opening.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Was watching up until lunch break yesterday so was pleasantly surprised to see how we fared. Was expecting McIntosh and Guptill to get 50 then get out soon after but they seemed to have batted really well.
McIntosh also looked the part. First time I've seen him play and he's looked like a Test quality batsman. The hat may have something to do with this too imo. Really looked like a 1970s player when he had the cap on and hair out the back.

This innings has changed my opinion tbh. He can do a job opening.
:cool:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
There is something romantic when the players of to day lose the helmet and put on a floppy or a cap, it brings me ack to my younger years watching cricket. they should make a rule when a batsmen pass 20 they have to wear a cap or a floppy.:happy:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
TBF once he hit 20 he didn't really look like he was going to get out, played beutifully imo
Looking good has never been Guptill's problem. One of the most striking examples in recent times of a New Zealand cricketer being more style than substance. And getting out to a pretty ordinary ball 15 short of a century just beautifully shows his concentration issues. But giving him his dues, he did play a crucial innings.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Although we batted well, Dhoni's captaincy was poor at best. No close-in fielders for new batsmen/ or any batsmen (no back-pad for pacers or against spinners- just the 1 guy was seen at times), pushed men on the boundary as soon as 4 was hit so basically they didn;t put any real pressure on the bastmen. I was wondering how the indians were trying to get us out because they seemed to be taking it easy after Sreesanth was removed from the attack in the 1st session (which was strange as well).
IMO He's got to be the most over-rated player ever- since he can't bat, can't keep (drops catches all the time) and now his captaincy is **** as well (in test cricket). :laugh:

Looking forward to watching Williamson bat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hopkins > Southee at batting. I think that Hopkins wicket would have been more valuable to a late innings surge as he could have kept Vettori company while Dan smacked it around. The general take on Southee is that he is going to be unreliable for the next 2-3 years before becoming a reasonable bat.

He has already improved somewhat.

I would have preferred using one of our bowlers as the night watchman. I just find it interesting that Vettori didn't rate any of them as being good enough. When I grew up Snedden used to be picked as our night watchman. Just someone with a good defensive system.
I reckon Hopkins just put his hand up. Obviously Kane wasn't keen on going out there; I think Hopkins has just grabbed the opportunity to bat a little higher up and told the captain he was more than willing to bat. Good on him.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Hopkins proves his worth as a nightwatchman, whose job is to see out the play until stumps, then any runs the next day are a bonus. He scored 4 of them.

EDIT: "leans across to push towards covers for a easy single". DIRE captaincy to a new batsman.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
TestMatchSofa is absolutely hilarious today, mostly talking about PEWS girlfriend.

Good stuff Jesse, keep going, make it 4!