• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in Australia 2010

DragonPunk

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yep, also Ponting won't be there because his grandmother has passed away.

Everyone's favourite will captain again and Doherty will make his debut, hopefully he does well, he's looked the goods for Tassie.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Backing Sri Lanka for this one, they look the more settled team and fielding is top-shelf. Australia's batting looks verrrry suspect without Ponting in the line-up and the bowling is pretty damn green too. Not optimistic at all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watson
Haddin
Marsh
Clarke
White
Hussey
Smith
Hastings
Johnson
McKay/Siddle
Doherty

Don't really see how Australia's batting is "very suspect" at all, tbh. Mike Hussey's still an absolute gun in ODIs and both Watson and White are class too. Haddin and Clarke definitely aren't mugs either although they admittedly have their faults. Darsh is a bit of a weakness but he just peeled off 200 runs in the Shield game so he should be seeing them okay.

There are definitely problems with the bowling though. I agree about that. I don't really rate any of them as good ODI bowlers at all and in fact wouldn't have any of them in Australia's first choice bowling lineup.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Who would you be including as Australia's spinner? Haury?
Yep. Despite the fact that I've always been against his Test selection, I'm all for him in one day cricket. There's not much between him and Doherty IMO so Doherty's got a chance to leapfrog him if he does well here but Hauritz's experience is getting him the nod at this stage. Plus, while both are reasonably good containing bowlers, I think Hauritz is more likely to get a breakthrough in one day cricket.

Alternatively, four quicks could be picked and Clarke/Smith could bowl a bit of spin in the middle overs but while that probably wouldn't be a bad idea on Australian wickets, it's not the best idea in preparation for a World Cup on the subcontinent. Clarke is actually a very under-rated one day bowler though; I think he should bowl more if his back can handle it.

I guess I'm looking at something like:
Watson, Haddin, Ponting, Clarke, White, Hussey, Smith, Harris, Hauritz, Tait, Bollinger.
The fact that I've picked two genuine rabbits to bat ten and eleven works in Hauritz's favour too really.

Last edited:

Lostman

State Captain
There are definitely problems with the bowling though. I agree about that. I don't really rate any of them as good ODI bowlers at all and in fact wouldn't have any of them in Australia's first choice bowling lineup.
As long as Bracken is not in the Aus side I feel good.
Dude used to own SL.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yep. Despite the fact that I've always been against his Test selection, I'm all for him in one day cricket. There's not much between him and Doherty IMO so Doherty's got a chance to leapfrog him if he does well here but Hauritz's experience is getting him the nod at this stage. Plus, while both are reasonably good containing bowlers, I think Hauritz is more likely to get a breakthrough in one day cricket.

Alternatively, four quicks could be picked and Clarke/Smith could bowl a bit of spin in the middle overs but while that probably wouldn't be a bad idea on Australian wickets, it's not the best idea in preparation for a World Cup on the subcontinent. Clarke is actually a very under-rated one day bowler though; I think he should bowl more if his back can handle it.

I guess I'm looking at something like:
Watson, Haddin, Ponting, Clarke, White, Hussey, Smith, Harris, Hauritz, Tait, Bollinger.
The fact that I've picked two genuine rabbits to bat ten and eleven works in Hauritz's favour too really.
Dropping Hopes was probably based around the 'can we get away with 2 spinners' question. And it's a great chance to try Smith & Doherty/Hauritz against an Asian team in a series that means stuff all. Should be a good test of whether Australia can rely on spin for the World Cup.

Unfortunately, the 'series that means stuff all' part might not be accurate due to the panicky, overreacting crap I'm reading from fans and media about how Australia has suddenly lost it and is rubbish now because we've lost 5 matches in a row. A series win might shut a few people up (temporarily,)