• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Thats only if you don't consider ER's which to me is just as important as the ODI average. Warne was nothing more than a good ODI bowler, certainly nothing special. Warne was being tonked around while playing mostly in an era where 250 scores were above par. The guy was a match winner, but if you wanted someone to come in and stem the scoring I know I'd have been turning to pretty much every other Australia bowler in the attack.
While we are on ER's, I just pull this up:

Cricket Records | Indian Premier League | Records | Best economy rates | Cricinfo.com

Murali has been very difficult to attack for any decent length of time. While one may argue that Warne was much older when IPL began, it's still noteworthy that he has better economy rate than anyone except one in 3 seasons combined.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yet Warne plays in Eng 22 tests and Murali 6 and that's comparable. Warne plays a handful of tests against B/Z and Murali plays much more than that. It's pretty obvious Warne did better overall away from home. And at home his record is incredible considering the conditions.
Nah. When you are looking at only "away" games there isn't so much difference. They both played only a handful. And I am not making an argument over performances against B/Z.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What is Warne's World Cup record vs. Murali's?

Seem to remember Murali doing really well in 2007.
Warne's slightly better; although I'd say from the perspective of the finals he is a way in front. In the 99 tourney Warne pretty much saved our asses against S.Africa and blew Pakistan away in the final game.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. When you are looking at only "away" games there isn't so much difference. They both played only a handful. And I am not making an argument over performances against B/Z.
You were worried with respect to the sample of having one playing a large amount of games in a country and one very little - wrt SL and Aus. I am pointing out to you that the same holds true for the aforementioned examples yet you had little reservation there.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
While we are on ER's, I just pull this up:

Cricket Records | Indian Premier League | Records | Best economy rates | Cricinfo.com

Murali has been very difficult to attack for any decent length of time. While one may argue that Warne was much older when IPL began, it's still noteworthy that he has better economy rate than anyone except one in 3 seasons combined.
Should also remember that one made Rajasthan Royals champions and the other played for the Chennai Super Kings. What Warne did in the IPL is akin to Maradona winning Serie A with Napoli.

It's almost uncanny though over the different types of formats. Murali is always a bit cheaper and Warne the more liklier to take wickets.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should also remember that one made Rajasthan Royals champions and the other played for the Chennai Super Kings. What Warne did in the IPL is akin to Maradona winning Serie A with Napoli.

It's almost uncanny though over the different types of formats. Murali is always a bit cheaper and Warne the more liklier to take wickets.
:laugh:

Stop exaggerating for effect.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

Stop exaggerating for effect.
TBF, not exaggerating for effect. He took the least fancied team - one clearly lacking in resources with respect to the other teams - and won by bowling well, batting well and leading well.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF, not exaggerating. He took the least fancied team - one clearly lacking in resources with respect to the other teams - and won by bowling well, batting well and leading well.
C'mon, there is no comparison. IPL is, when we come down to it, a hit and giggle league, Serie A in Maradona's time was the best domestic league in the world, over 38 as opposed to 14 or so games. It was a good achievement, and sure, I was cheering for Rajasthan, but let's get some perspective. It won't figure in the top 20 list of Warne's career achievements.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Although I understand what you mean; I think you're clearly underrating the against the odds nature of the win. Sure, T20 is more a hit and miss game - and whilst I agree Test cricket will always contain Warne's best memories - it was still a great feat in the context of the format.

To put it another way, if there is anything close to a Maradona-Napoli scenario in IPL; it was Warne-Rajasthan.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Warne won a tournament with Ravindra Jadeja. He's a miracle worker :ph34r:
This may be me always seeing more into what Warne does as a great fan of him; but it's no coincidence to me where both Smith and Watson have looked so much better mentally - as well as performance wise - after their Rajasthan stint.

There was a fantastic tribute to Warne after they'd won the IPL on cricinfo. Wish I could find it.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Warne was not a cheap bowler, but he took wickets by the bucketload when on. And considering his teammates, that's something.

The diff between Warne and Murali's figures wrt the top ODI sides is very little. The WC performances of Warne will always put him over the top for me.
Its not 'very little' though. 0.24 is a huge gulf in ER, especially considering that Murali played a pretty big chunk of his career on flatter pitches where 300 was often considered par. Their averages are almost comparable which suggests to me that you seem to be underestimating Murali's wicket-taking abilities. I'm not buying this whatsoever, I like Warne and Id prefer him to Murali in tests but the argument that he's even a patch on Murali in ODIs considering that Murali is arguably one of the greatest ODI bowlers ever is baseless.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's funny how the "played on flat tracks" is used against subcontinental batsmen in ODIs but not used as a factor to benefit bowlers from the subcontinent in ODIs.

tooextracool

International Coach
It's funny how the "played on flat tracks" is used against subcontinental batsmen in ODIs but not used as a factor to benefit bowlers from the subcontinent in ODIs.
Im not talking about playing in the subcontinent. Im talking about playing in a different era. Shane Warne played his last ODI in early 2003 which basically means his career is concentrated in the 90s. I think if you pulled up a statistic you'd find that most bowlers that bowled in the 90s had considerably lower ERs than your average bowler in the 2000s. ODI pitches have gotten flatter, batsmen have also gotten better the game has evolved. You didnt used to see 300 odd being scored every other game in the 90s for example.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Im not talking about playing in the subcontinent. Im talking about playing in a different era. Shane Warne played his last ODI in early 2003 which basically means his career is concentrated in the 90s. I think if you pulled up a statistic you'd find that most bowlers that bowled in the 90s had considerably lower ERs than your average bowler in the 2000s. ODI pitches have gotten flatter, batsmen have also gotten better the game has evolved. You didnt used to see 300 odd being scored every other game in the 90s for example.
Yes, Murali's economy rate has taken a beating in last few years (but he is still under 4!). I remember before the start of WC 2003, he had the second best ER after Pollock, and better than Akram and McGrath. Those were the only 4 who were under 4 back then.

Of course Warne had great semi and final in WC 99, but to take those 2 matches to put him before Warne...well I think I have had enough of it. Put flat tracks argument, put home/away, put batsmen's form and when nothing else remains put just a handful of WC performances. Hasn't Ponting's 140 in WC 03 been used to put ahead of Sachin as an ODI batsman. As I said, enough of it!