• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aamer Situation

If found guilty, Aamer should be banned for:

• Total voters

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Seems to me pretty rational to think leniency to be appropriate in his case

(1) because his youth is quite obviously a mitigating factor,

(2) because his youth means a life ban would in reality be a longer sentence than for a player nearer the end of his career, and

(3) because his outstanding talent means that he (not to mention the cricket world) has so much more to lose if he's banned for life.
Not buying any of that for a second tbh. Leniency too me in this case would be at least five years.

pskov

International 12th Man

(2) because his youth means a life ban would in reality be a longer sentence than for a player nearer the end of his career, and

(3) because his outstanding talent means that he (not to mention the cricket world) has so much more to lose if he's banned for life.
1. 18 years is plenty old enough to know that match-fixing is wrong

2. Perhaps, but the career for an international fast bowler is generally shorter anyway.

3. So?

As Got Spin said, a lenient sentence in my eyes would be a multi-year ban. And I'd still back a life ban for him.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see how point 3 comes into it at all. Extending that rationale the other way, does that mean that it should be a more serious issue to murder a talented young sportsman than it is to murder a mediocre kid, because the former has lost 'more'.

Regarding the second point, a life ban is not a purely punitive move, so I don't think we need to get tangled up in issues of whether it would affect Amir for a hypothetically longer time than others. It is a move for the protection of the cricketing community. These players have shown they don't have the integrity to be trusted with the position of privilege they occupy.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he would know that match-fixing is wrong. My issue with the thing is whether he could've been influenced by someone else (i.e. Butt).

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Should be getting a lengthy ban I reckon, ofcourse if all those years back had actions had been taken against the Wasim's and and Moin's this may not have happened and a promising career may not have been destroyed but I guess you have to make a start some where.If we go easy on Aamer now few years later we will have another Aamer repeating the offence.
Hey...look who showed up....nice to hear from you bro.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain

Plus its his first offense unlike Asif and a life ban is the max. penalty in most judicial proceedings this would not be the appropriate punishment. I doubt ICC would do that to Amir. Asif, may be yes for his other troubles and now this.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
The point if icc is lenient on Aamer then it will send a wrong signal to kids playing the game,they pick everything up,And who can guarantee that aamer will not do this again.

R_D

International Debutant
Plus its his first offense unlike Asif and a life ban is the max. penalty in most judicial proceedings this would not be the appropriate punishment. I doubt ICC would do that to Amir. Asif, may be yes for his other troubles and now this.

People who think that spot fixing isn't bad as match fixing are the one's with sympathy for someone like Aamer.... if he's involved in it... **** the ****er... ban for life as far as i care.
As for First offence ? Sure i'll go commit murder tomorrow and say it's my first offence.... do you think i'd get away with it?

As far as i'm censored spot fixing is bad as match fixing and thats the worse crime you can commit in terms of cricket same as murder in real life....

morgieb

Is spot-fixing = match-fixing? afaik, they're both rigging but one only involves rigging a ball, the other involves a whole game.

If Amir gets life when someone like Gibbs only got 6 months it's a ****ing travesty afaic.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Is spot-fixing = match-fixing? afaik, they're both rigging but one only involves rigging a ball, the other involves a whole game.

If Amir gets life when someone like Gibbs only got 6 months it's a ****ing travesty afaic.
No the point the bookie was trying to make is that these players are in his pockets so... today it's spot fixing.. tomorrow it's match fixing...
So both things are equally bad to me. Thats the point people keep missing when assessing this situation.

The bookie was just showing a trailer to the journalist..

taipan1

U19 12th Man

Gibbs confessed. Many are suggesting that Amir do the same.

Top_Cat

Interesting people essentially giving Gibbs a pass. Would you do the same for Butt were the only allegation against him the one brought up recently where he agreed to play out a maiden but didn't because the ball was doing heaps and he couldn't guarantee it so pulled out? In my opinion, it only marginally lessens the culpability because he didn't actually follow-through. To bring up the murder analogy again (not that I agree with it but eh), if you have a phone convo where someone says they're planning to kill someone but don't, the person is still in trouble.

I mean, we only assume Gibbs was 'having too much fun' and kept batting because he says so. Who knows exactly why he pulled the pin?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting people giving Gibbs a pass. Would you do the same for Butt were the only allegation against him the one brought up recently where he agreed to play out a maiden but didn't because the ball was doing heaps and he couldn't guarantee it so pulled out? In my opinion, it only marginally lessens the culpability because he didn't actually follow-through. To bring up the murder analogy, if you have a phone convo where someone says they're planning to kill someone but don't, the person is still in trouble.

I mean, we only assume Gibbs was 'having too much fun' and kept batting because he says so. Who knows exactly why he pulled the pin?
TBF, I think Butt's involvement runs far far deeper than Gibbs ever was.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Interesting people essentially giving Gibbs a pass. Would you do the same for Butt were the only allegation against him the one brought up recently where he agreed to play out a maiden but didn't because the ball was doing heaps and he couldn't guarantee it so pulled out? In my opinion, it only marginally lessens the culpability because he didn't actually follow-through. To bring up the murder analogy again (not that I agree with it but eh), if you have a phone convo where someone says they're planning to kill someone but don't, the person is still in trouble.

Give me your phone number. I want to talk to you about killing Alex.:p