• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Migara

International Coach
Nah, even if it was, gap is very small. Warne the better catcher, Murali, better mover and better stopper of the ball. And hence Warne fielded at slip, and Murali at covers and out field.

Sir Alex

Banned
Catching >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> moving and stopping though. That's the point.
Murali was a fairly consistent catcher also. He wasn't given a run in the slips for obvious reasons as every alternate over he had to bowl and slips were hardly the place to take a 'breath'. Besides Sri Lanka anyway had Jayawardene and you don't have usually more than one slip to spinners, who used to do perhaps seventy per cent of the job in Sri Lanka and subcontinent, where Murali played most of his cricket in.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A good slipper is better than a good fielder in any other position, period. Unlike the traditional Warne/Murali debate, this one is neither close nor debatable. Warne ****s all over Murali in terms of fielding. This is so clear cut that I'm not even respecting anything else as a valid opinion.

Migara

International Coach
A good slipper is better than a good fielder in any other position, period. Unlike the traditional Warne/Murali debate, this one is neither close nor debatable. Warne ****s all over Murali in terms of fielding. This is so clear cut that I'm not even respecting anything else as a valid opinion.
Then Eknath Solkar is the best fields man cricket have ever seen, period.
On the same note Sobers and Tillekaratne should be better fielders than Jonty or AB, because they virtually never dropped a catch at shortleg.

Sir Alex

Banned
Something as ridiculous as saying Lara is better than Richards because the former made runs against Mcgrath and Warne, or like saying Sehwag is a better opener than Bevan. 8-)

Migara

International Coach
Murali was a fairly consistent catcher also. He wasn't given a run in the slips for obvious reasons as every alternate over he had to bowl and slips were hardly the place to take a 'breath'. Besides Sri Lanka anyway had Jayawardene and you don't have usually more than one slip to spinners, who used to do perhaps seventy per cent of the job in Sri Lanka and subcontinent, where Murali played most of his cricket in.
Yeah, SL had Mahanama, Dilshan, Chandana, Jayawardane, Jayasuriya and Tillekaratne covering all the close in field positions. Even if Murali's catching was good, above fellows catched very well. Had to be on less demanding positions like mid on and mid off as a result

Sir Alex

Banned
Yeah, SL had Mahanama, Dilshan, Chandana, Jayawardane, Jayasuriya and Tillekaratne covering all the close in field positions. Even if Murali's catching was good, above fellows catched very well. Had to be on less demanding positions like mid on and mid off as a result
Where he didn't drop many either, or didn't drop much off his bowling also, as demonstrated by a return of 70 odd catches from 130 tests, which is pretty good for one who has never fielded in close catching positions.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Warne is/was a better fielder than Murali. He was also a better batsman, a better leader and more of a personality (for better and worse). As a bowler I am undecided as they have different strengths.

Like I said - If I wanted someone to bowl a ridiculously good one-off innings I'd go with Murali.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol... what complete BS in this post? Why is catching more imp than stopping the ball? And where is the proof that Murali was in fact a poor catcher? Warne has dropped more than his share of catches..

FTR, I think Warne is a slightly better fielder than Murali but honestly, the posts by UC on this topic are borderline garbage... It is like the whole bowlers > batsmen.. Taking catches and stopping runs all have equal value.. And it is not like Murali was droppng them like flies, to begin with. And neither is Warne an all time great as a slip catcher.. He was good, and that was it. Period. And this coming from a HUGE Warne fan..

These posts are almost as bad as "Murali can't bowl to non-minnows" posts.. In other words, complete and utter garbage..

What poor logic. You happen to include the statistics that make Warne bad but exclude the statistics that don't flatter Murali. This is the worst kind of statistical nit-picking, explained by the idea that crowd behaviour towards Murali was less than friendly when the same logic doesn't apply to every cricketer that plays in a hostile environment

I can't be bothered arguing with the rest though.
What are you talking about?Has a crowd booed and chanted 'no-ball' after every ball he bowled like Australian crowd did to Murali in Australia.Not to mention umpries no balling him even he bowled a leg break...Get some perspective FFS.This wasn't just a normal away series.

And I cannot "make" Warne or Murali look good,no one can.Look at their stats away and overall,Murali comes out on top quite easily.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If slip fielding is so important, Inzamam and Laxman are right up there among the best fielders? Doesn't really make sense. For me, I'd pick athleticism, reflexes and good hand-eye coordination as the most important fielding attributes, which are shared by the great all-round fielders like Rhodes, Ponting, AB, Azhar etc. Slip catching seems like something that can be honed well with practise, and is mostly about quick reactions, decisiveness and soft hands.

While Warne may be a slightly better fielder how is it relevant when we are comparing them as bowlers?It is like me saying Kumble is a better bowler than Warne because he scored a century...

As for this utter BS about slip catching >>>>> any other fielding position :laugh:

That would make someone like Dravid a better fielder than Ponting 8-)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm in a nightmare situation of being subscribed to this dreadful thread so that every time someone posts on it I'm given an email update.

Could someone please tell me how I unsubscribe?

Edit: Ah, I think I've managed it. Fingers crossed. Bye bye all

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, to actually spend minutes of your life arguing who was a better fielder between Warne and Murali brings this debate to all-time lows.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes and to receive automatic email updates on each post is pretty traumatic.

Still they've stopped now so I will leave happily, never to return.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What are you talking about?Has a crowd booed and chanted 'no-ball' after every ball he bowled like Australian crowd did to Murali in Australia.Not to mention umpries no balling him even he bowled a leg break...Get some perspective FFS.This wasn't just a normal away series.

And I cannot "make" Warne or Murali look good,no one can.Look at their stats away and overall,Murali comes out on top quite easily.
Many players get booed all over the world but that doesn't mean a poor record should be ignored. When Ponting goes to India he gets booed, just like he did in England. There are never any excuses for Pontings poor performances in India based on the fact that he was unpopular. He just played badly and got owned by the turbinator. You need to get some perspective. These are professional athletes. Sledging from the crowd should not provide excuse for failure. Wonder how Gilchrist felt when he went out to bat with the barmy army chanting that Slater was the father of his son (something like that) - But he still chalked up a devastating ton.

You have tried to make Murali look better by providing absurd reasoning for excluding a glaring fault in his track record.

And as for your last point, easily debatable too.