• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
They've only had news on Adebayor, remind me who else is in Togo's team who I might have heard of. Can't say I have encyclopedic knowledge of them.
Moustapha Salifou is a sub for Villa and a few of the others might have CL games. Not household names by any definition though.

From the Beeb.

Auntie said:
The Angolan Armed Forces maintains a large presence in Cabinda and this will be stepped up to ensure security during the tournament.
clearly not large enough :mellow:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have a mate that does business in Angola and he claims its like the wild west except the people have less brains and more guns (he was held up at gunpoint by a policeman outside the international airport demanding foreign currency)

Anyway, according to him, the stadiums are an absolute joke with no seating except for vips and access by dirt roads with pot-holes as big as meteor craters, i.e. no way it should hold a major championship

However, it has masses of oil so the world is flooding in and corruption is rife in Africa and FIFA so do the math

Sounds like fun

Craig

World Traveller
With the amount of natural resources that Africa has (oil, gold, metals, coffee etc.) it can be a lot more powerful and richer if people stopped being so corrupt and having their own self interests at heart. But that will never happen.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Need more KFCs.

Anyway, in what may rank as one of the more idiotic decisions of my football-supporting life, I'm off to Norwich tomorrow as the game is one of about ten still yet to be cancelled in the country. 10.01 from Oxford and 4+ hours on the train via Paddington, King's Cross and, of all places, Ely.

I won't get to another away until Swindon in April. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

grecian

Need more KFCs.

Anyway, in what may rank as one of the more idiotic decisions of my football-supporting life, I'm off to Norwich tomorrow as the game is one of about ten still yet to be cancelled in the country. 10.01 from Oxford and 4+ hours on the train via Paddington, King's Cross and, of all places, Ely.

I won't get to another away until Swindon in April. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Well good luck with that rather you then me, would be a miracle if we get a result.

Just hope it doesn't get cancelled by the time you reach.
Should be okay, Norwich haven't had a match cancelled at Carrow Road for 17 years.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Could have helped with no exploitation by foreign powers as well.
Leaving aside an incendiary term like 'exploitation' which we could talk for days about. How, in your opinion would Africa be different now if European powers had not made a presence there?

Pothas

Leaving aside an incendiary term like 'exploitation' which we could talk for days about. How, in your opinion would Africa be different now if European powers had not made a presence there?
Pretty much an impossibly question to answer, its fairly obvious that the whole of African history has been forever changed and influenced by imperialism.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much an impossibly question to answer, its fairly obvious that the whole of African history has been forever changed and influenced by imperialism.
To be fair, I didnt ask for a definitive answer. I asked for an opinon. These are little thought exercises we should occasionally ask ourselves.

We an state accurately, like you did, that African history has been forever changed and influenced by imperialism but to what extent and how much can only really assessed by comparing to a hypothetical model where there was no involvement.

This probably isnt the thread for such a question but I was responding to a topic brought up by others.

Last edited:

Pothas

To be fair, I didnt ask for a definitive answer. I asked for an opinon. These are little thought exercises we should occasionally ask ourselves.

We an state accurately, like you did, that African history has been forever changed and influenced by imperialism but to what extent and how much can only really assessed by comparing to a hypothetical model where there was no involvement.

This probably isnt the thread for such a question but I was responding to a topic brought up by others.
They are very interesting questions and probably are worth thinking about but counterfactual history is a very tricky and controversial area.

Jarquis

What's the Arsenal score? The BBC have had the live score as 2-1 Everton for a while but there's been no goal update?

OH GAGF, just updated. Are you kidding? Are you ****ing kidding me?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What's the Arsenal score? The BBC have had the live score as 2-1 Everton for a while but there's been no goal update?

OH GAGF, just updated. Are you kidding? Are you ****ing kidding me?
Haha typical Arsenal really, had enough chances to well and truly put this one beyond doubt. Hopefully can somehow salvage a draw in the last minutes and win the game in hand, but this is a very bad result otherwise.