• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think he might surprise us all and actually get it this time, not sure if I am looking forward to the celebration which is bound to follow.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Think he might surprise us all and actually get it this time, not sure if I am looking forward to the celebration which is bound to follow.
Something along the lines of screaming in the bowler's face, I'd reckon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pakistan didn't exactly apply themselves too well (sure Australia bowled well) and they batted almost 4 sessions in the first dig right?

You can't imagine (though its Pakistan so you never know) Kamran and Umar hitting shots like they did in the 2nd dig.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess there's not much point in leaving more than four sessions because they'd probably reach the total before all the time had elapsed. Depends how well they kick on in the first session tonight.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Even if Pakistan were left 4 1/2 sessions (leaving Australia around 3 hours to bat tomorrow) I doubt they'd score 450 if they batted them all out.

That's around 100 per session. They'd have to really cruise it with a huge top order partnership.

Not happening. 350 is one thing, 450 in 4 1/2 sessions is another.

It'd be weird for Ponting to make a really attacking declaration in the first innings and then a very defensive one in the second innings.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Hoping he holds up a sign with his averages, followed by "STFU NOOBS LOL".

Xuhaib

International Coach
Man I'm loving Umar! The more I watch him, the more he impresses me. I'm seriously hopefull that he'll pan out for Pakistan in the long run.
does not move his feet even though when he is defending his footwork is good also is too flashy for my liking a bad run of scores afte the honeymoon is over will put some sense in him have to admit got a brilliant eye.

Xuhaib

International Coach
hopeully Asif-Amir wil not get a bowl tommorow this game is gone use Ajmal and Rauf for he donkey work.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
hopeully Asif-Amir wil not get a bowl tommorow this game is gone use Ajmal and Rauf for he donkey work.
On the subject of Rauf, I really don't think that he can stay in the Test team at his speed. It would seem that, at Test level these days, you need to be 135kph or more to succeed as a pace bowler, unless you really are something special such as being a massive seamer of the ball like Mohammad Asif. I must concede that I have disputed such a view on these forums, but the Test debuts of Rauf, Tonge, Rampaul, McKay, (as well as the lesser Albie Morkel), all distinguished domestic performers, with such limited success, has shown me that. Even someone like Zaheer Khan, who has a great deal of experience and guile, only performs averagely, taking wickets at around 35 recently.

I think that Pakistan should look to get Umar Gul back into the team (if possible), I think that he could be potent in Australia and improve on his performances in New Zealand. I think that conditions will assist his extra speed and the fact that he reverses the ball. Kaneria for a straight swap with Ajmal too, fitness pending.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the subject of Rauf, I really don't think that he can stay in the Test team at his speed. It would seem that, at Test level these days, you need to be 135kph or more to succeed as a pace bowler, unless you really are something special such as being a massive seamer of the ball like Mohammad Asif. I must concede that I have disputed such a view on these forums, but the Test debuts of Rauf, Tonge, Rampaul, McKay, (as well as the lesser Albie Morkel), all distinguished domestic performers, with such limited success, has shown me that. Even someone like Zaheer Khan, who has a great deal of experience and guile, only performs averagely, taking wickets at around 35 recently.

I think that Pakistan should look to get Umar Gul back into the team (if possible), I think that he could be potent in Australia and improve on his performances in New Zealand. I think that conditions will assist his extra speed and the fact that he reverses the ball. Kaneria for a straight swap with Ajmal too, fitness pending.
They're all playing in Australia. Those pitches offer nothing to fast-medium, it's all about the pace, bounce and carry.

I thought Gul was injured? Maybe I just assumed that because there's no other reason you'd drop him for Rauf. I think Gul's brilliant.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Gul was injured? Maybe I just assumed that because there's no other reason you'd drop him for Rauf. I think Gul's brilliant.
I don't think there is a definite answer here, I think some say he's injured, others say unwell and others say dropped.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
They're all playing in Australia. Those pitches offer nothing to fast-medium, it's all about the pace, bounce and carry.
Definitely modern day Australia is about that, because of course, Mcgrath, Gillespie, Reiffel, Fleming and numerous others all succeeded at fast medium pace.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think it's lack of pace that brought Rauf, Tonge, Rampaul and McKay undone - they just didn't bowl very well. Obviously the slower you bowl the more disciplined you have to be, but I reckon it's more a case of them just bowling rubbish than not having the tools. I distinctly remember Rampaul bowling a particularly threatening spell in which he reversed it for example, and let's not forget countless other examples like Watson's form with the ball this summer, Stuart Clark's record up until last season, McGrath's record before that, a few of Asif's spells in this game, Bravo's bowling throughout this summer, Kallis's bowling last summer etc etc.

Pace and bounce are obviously a bit more valuable in Australia than elsewhere, but I don't think there's a speed cap at 140 to be successful by any means. Like anywhere else, it's about bowling well and using the conditions - it's still quite possible to do that at 130 and 135. I think people are sucked in by the fact that really fast bowling looks more effective in Australia, but for all the hype about how well Roach bowled this season, how well Sharma bowled when India toured etc, they actually weren't very effective. I agree that both were unlucky but I do think it is a bit of an illusion at times. There's a big difference between batsmen playing awkward-looking shots and batsmen getting out.

Last edited: