• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
You're in sixth with a game in hand.
If we win the game in hand we're still 6th. Getting sick of reading this.

And I didn't say I disagreed with any of that, I probably agree with most of it. I wanted him sacked last season when we were in the bottom 3 at christmas after losing at the Hawthorns, hence the "year late" comment.

And in any case, the Adebayor's and the Robinho's aren't the problem here. It's the defence. It has been since he started. We've seen a central defensive pairing in Micah and Dunne that were almost impenetrable under Sven until the last third of the season become absolutely terrible in a matter of months, before he basically ships both and buys players of quality for those positions.... who suddenly can't defend again. Lescott, Toure, Bridge, Kompany, Barry. All players of quality (though Lescott and Bridge are overrated largely) who suddenly look like complete retards under Hughes.

I would have been fine with Hughes staying until the end of the season or even beyond if he either employed a new defensive coach or the defence stopped looking like a group of u-12 retards on crack.

And on the run of draws:

Villa (a): Good point, we did well to get it and were solid. Slightly lucky though.
Wigan (a): We were ****ing ****e and lucky to get away with a point after Rodallega tore us a new one. That said, Wigan are up and down and can be very tough when they're at home. Fair enough point.
Fulham (h): Absolutely threw away 2 points with rubbish marking and terrible concentration at the back.
Birmingham (a): How we got out of this with a point I'll never know. Rubbish game.
Burnley (h): See Fulham.
Liverpool (a): Would've snapped your hand off with this result before the game but after leading we were shocking. Zabaleta's marking for the equaliser was disgusting.
Hull (h): Ridiculously disjointed performance, unlucky though as the penalty was soft.

Fulham, Birmingham, Burnley and Hull (And Spuds) are where Hughes lost his job. Even without time to gel those are sides we should be beating, especially from winning positions. Decision may have been handled horridly (mid-game announcement wtf) and hasty (should've had the season) but I am happy it happened, and personally, I couldn't give a **** what your pasty white ass thinks. You can have Hughes in the Championship with your ****box of a club (Southgate, anyone?), I'll take my chances with a multiple Serie A winner who's renowned for his defensive organisation thanks. If that doesn't work, bring on Mourinho! ;)

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Saw it coming a mile off, still a somewhat harsh sacking imo. That said I can't stand Mark Hughes so he'll get no real sympathy from me.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The defending going downhill is as much down to the midfield as anything.

It's the same reason someone like Lescott looked good at Everton. Everton are a defensive side who give little away and the midfield is part of that, when Lescott makes his fairly frequent mistakes there are plenty of men back to cover for him. At Man City the midfielders don't have much idea about tracking back or tackling, so it is almost all left to the four people at the back and there is no room for error. Any mistake or good bit of play from the the attacking side will create an opening. For instance Kenwyne Jones' goal yesterday. One simple pass beat 3-4 players who'd crowded towards the ball. The defence not only cannot afford to make mistakes they've also got to cope with lots of situations like that because the midfield is inept when they don't have the ball.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saw it coming a mile off, still a somewhat harsh sacking imo. That said I can't stand Mark Hughes so he'll get no real sympathy from me.
I think it was fair enough. 6th is pretty good at this stage of the season but every weakness in the team is something the manager should be solely responsible for.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I really like the brand of football Wolves play. Doyle is so good and clinical finishing. Lovely.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Even if it was (believe its not), Owen's record and lacklustre performances in the league are hardly a huge jump on what N'Gog gives you i.e. a better shot/goal ratio, 90 minutes and 75k a week less.
If N'Gog costs Liverpool £75k a week less than Owen does United then N'Gog is in fact paying Gillette and Hicks £35k of his own money every week. I can see why they're so keen to keep him now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, lino & ref having a giraffe here. Never a pen and Lampard had to retake it twice because of encroaching when there were more Irons players in the box.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gotta love the Hammers' fans chant:

Lampard, you're a ****
Lampard, Lampard, you're a ****

Simple but beautiful in its own way.

Case in point against aussie's assertion only black players get a hard time from their ex-fans too.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If N'Gog costs Liverpool £75k a week less than Owen does United then N'Gog is in fact paying Gillette and Hicks £35k of his own money every week. I can see why they're so keen to keep him now.
How much Owen on? Basic I read was 30 a week but when you factor in everything on top of that, the pay cut from the 110,000 he was earning at Newcastle wasn't that dramatic as Owen has kept fit.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scott Parker looked good today. Anyone think he would make sense as defensive mid-fielder if Hargreaves doesn't get fit for the WC squad?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scott Parker looked good today. Anyone think he would make sense as defensive mid-fielder if Hargreaves doesn't get fit for the WC squad?
Not this again...

If i had to replace Hargreaves i'd pick Gareth Barry who's been doing alright for England. Failing that, Carrick i guess as i heard he can play Centre Back as well.