• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah it is. For all the shockers in that test, India did what Australia have done today and capitulated, losing all 10 wickets in less than 2 sessions.
No, India did worse, they actually lost wickets under pressure not through exceptional bowling. Completely cracked. Michael Clarke? Again? It was a rubbish performance. Australia (pre-retirements) would have shown more backbone. So no arguments there. But India should not have been in that situation.

When decisions affect both sides, it's a lot less better than 90% all going against the same side. IMO at least. But I don't want to sidetrack this thread, this is a great game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
@ Jono and some other neutrals - I have seen other people celebrate Australia's downfall but why by so happy that Australia is losing as a neutral. I can understand that Australia's dominance over the decade and a half gives people this feeling - to support any one against Australia but Australia no longer is the force it used to be. They lost a test series v South Africa not that long ago. I don't mind if either team wins personally.
If England had collapsed for sub 200, I would have :laugh:ed as well.

What's the difference between laughing at England collapse, and Australia?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
10/87 - ouch.

Well bowled England, Broad in particular superb. Yours to lose now.

Australia growing a spine over the next three days would be just lovely.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Ponting's actually gone up in my estimation this series. When he arrived I thought he was the worst human being out there, but he dealt with the booing very graciously and generally hasn't been a **** (and he hasn't been very good since Cardiff either, I suppose that helps :ph34r:)

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
No, India did worse, they actually lost wickets under pressure not through exceptional bowling. Completely cracked. Michael Clarke? Again? It was a rubbish performance. Australia (pre-retirements) would have shown more backbone. So no arguments there. But India should not have been in that situation.

When decisions affect both sides, it's a lot less better than 90% all going against the same side. IMO at least. But I don't want to sidetrack this thread, this is a great game.
Our comments were just about the overall technical standard of the umpiring this series - not the impact it had.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah exactly.

A collapse is a collapse. Its still laughable when Australia do it, just as much as England, West Indies etc.
I find I just feel sorry for the West Indies, it's almost uncomfortable for me to laugh at how bad they are. Feel sorry for Chanderpaul in particular as it always inevitably falls on his shoulders to try and rescue the innings.

tooextracool

International Coach
Ponting's actually gone up in my estimation this series. When he arrived I thought he was the worst human being out there, but he dealt with the booing very graciously and generally hasn't been a **** (and he hasn't been very good since Cardiff either, I suppose that helps :ph34r:)
Yep, can't help but cheer him on his way to the crease these days.....

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree that playing positively is the way to go on this pitch.

Will be relatively happy if England can make 250 - whilst the pitch hasn't exactly contributed to most of the dismissals I wouldn't put it past our lot to get rolled for 100 or something silly.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
10/87 - ouch.

Well bowled England, Broad in particular superb. Yours to lose now.

Australia growing a spine over the next three days would be just lovely.
Bit harsh - thought most of the wickets were due to good bowling rather than any lack of ticker from the Aussies. The ball that got Haddin in particular was a beaut.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Our comments were just about the overall technical standard of the umpiring this series - not the impact it had.
I think that would be fair enough then since I have not watched the series, but I think the two are intrinsically tied when judging umpiring. It's important to consider whether the umpiring significantly helped to decide the game in favor of one or the other.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit harsh - thought most of the wickets were due to good bowling rather than any lack of ticker from the Aussies. The ball that got Haddin in particular was a beaut.
Yeah fair play mate, I probably should have taken a deep breath before I typed that. Too much disappointment, not enough objectivity. :@

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Agree that playing positively is the way to go on this pitch.

Will be relatively happy if England can make 250 - whilst the pitch hasn't exactly contributed to most of the dismissals I wouldn't put it past our lot to get rolled for 100 or something silly.
I think this is what everyone is fearing to be honest. I think somewhere in the region of 200 will hopefully do though, a great deal more than this would have to be considered a winning score for mine, or at least it ought to be.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I just went to see a film with Australia 1 down and have come back to this, this is unbelievable.