• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

tooextracool

International Coach
Outstanding bowling from England, Broad has bowled as well as I've ever seen him bowl, with excellent support from Swanny. Still a long way to go in this game, there will certainly be no chickens being counted on my part!

However, all the chat about 332 being below par, the lambasting of England's middle order, who, when you look at both sides after they've batted on this pitch, did a pretty good job!
There is little point in looking at both sides to decide how one batted. For one, Australia didn't pick a spinner, which may just go on to eat at Ponting's mind for the rest of his career. And Australia just didn't bowl that well to dismiss England for 332 tbh. England gifted a lot of their wickets away with poor strokes or pokes at deliveries that didn't need to be played with.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FMD bring back Shakoor Rana. This ****'s eyes are painted on.

He's missed that by half a foot ffs. No like it was a near thing.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Poor umpiring, forgot to mention how obvious North edged the ball for his lbw too, umpires just got caught up in the atmosphere I think.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Wow, the last couple of hours have been some of the worst few hours of Cricket I have watched as an Australian supporter in my life.

Broad was absolutely brilliant, amazing to think that he's already got as many 5-fors as Freddy has in his entire career.

I still have some extremely optimistic hope that Australia will win this.
It's far from over imo, it's England's to lose now, but a good performance from the ball could really make for a thrilling final innings.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Gah sick of this, every time one team bowls well its all "nah nah nah the batsmen were ****, bowlers weren't special" and vice versa. Give the opposition a bit of credit ffs.
This.

Awesome bowling from us here, the Aussies have a really good batting line-up at the moment and I didn't think we could get them out for this little.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
This has been the worst umpired series I can remember - I think both teams have been extremely hardly done by at different times.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
FMD bring back Shakoor Rana. This ****'s eyes are painted on.

He's missed that by half a foot ffs. No like it was a near thing.
Yeah good grief that was bad, when I first saw it I thought he had given him for leg before, bit of a joke decision.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At Lord's and now here we have just been diabolical, at Edgbaston we were done in by some excellent swing bowling, so won't blame the batsmen much for that, but today after lunch we just went into a shell as if we were playing on a minefield and led to this situation, I'm not taking any credit away from Broad, I think he bowled very smartly, but there is no way in hell we should be losing 8 wickets is one session, there simply no excuse for that.
Well obviously 8 wickets is a lot to lose, but when the bowling's that good you'll be losing 4-8 a session, largely dependent on whether things go your way. When Clarke gets caught an inch off the ground at cover, Huss gets a marginal lbw and North gets a shocking lbw, things just aren't going for you. It's just how it goes.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rauf deciding that the best appraoch to one-upping Billy on the worst decision tally is quantity over quality.

pup11

International Coach
Just don't know whether there is much left for an Australian to watch and cheer in this Ashes series, we are in such a bad position now that even good solid resilient cricket won't bail us out of this predicament, so unless it rains for the next 2-3 days, I think it pretty safe to say that, no matter what we do, or no matter how well we play from here, the Ashes are gone.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Gah sick of this, every time one team bowls well its all "nah nah nah the batsmen were ****, bowlers weren't special" and vice versa. Give the opposition a bit of credit ffs.
This.

Awesome bowling from us here, the Aussies have a really good batting line-up at the moment and I didn't think we could get them out for this little.
Didn't you two get the memo? All the good bowlers disappeared around 2001, apart from McGrath and Murali. Any batsman getting out to anyone other than those two has thrown his wicket away, what with the flattening of pitches etc.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Just don't know whether there is much left for an Australian to watch and cheer in this Ashes series, we are in such a bad position now that even good solid resilient cricket won't bail us out of this predicament, so unless it rains for the next 2-3 days, I think it pretty safe to say that, no matter what we do, or no matter how well we play from here, the Ashes are gone.
You can't stop watching just cause we're losing!

Johnners

M00bs should let got of the bat mid-swing, somehow taking out Strauss, so he's already bowling at Englands tail when the innings change :ph34r:

Son Of Coco

Haha, come off it. You wouldn't get bowling of the quality Broad produced today.

For me it's been the story of one team with sub-standard bowlers and one team with sub-standard batsmen.
It's been mediocre at times, very mediocre. Not the standard you'd expect. I've found it hard to get overly excited for the most part as the quality hasn't been there like it was in 2005 or 06/07 (from one team at least).

To have the top runscorers, batting averages, 6 more hundreds and leading wicket-takers and still be losing you have to have had some very poor sessions.

Although at least some of that could change after this test. Australia do have a chance to rectify this in the next innings they (and Broad) have made it very hard for themselves.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, gotta give it to the umpires. They are showcasing beautifully why this is the last series without referrals.

This has been the worst umpired series I can remember
Short memory? :p

Jameee said:
It'd be better to get good umpires than a referral system
Good luck with that. The standard of umpiring is actually pretty good, and while it could be better, it's almost impossible to get a lot more right than they do using the naked eye in real time.