• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

dan_andersonkro

Cricket Spectator
Poor.

They didn't use the £600k grant from the ECB to improve the drainage system during the Winter as it would have affected other development plans at the ground.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes the outfield will be the issue, as you guys have said, there drainage is supposed to be one of the worst of the major grounds. The wicket, we are being led to believe, is likely to be dry and fairly hard under those covers, and when Rouse described the pitch as like 'jelly' in parts, he was referring to the outfield rather than the wicket.

Just hope they can do something about those puddles on the outfield. There will be groundstaff working through the night to get this ground in playable shape.

dan_andersonkro

Cricket Spectator
Come on groundsmen, earn your money! :P

I'm off to bed now, hopefully when I arrive at Edgbaston tomorrow the sun will be shining and the outfield will be water free!

sephiroth123

Cricket Spectator
It would be a shame if they don't start on time, if your going to make a bet on a draw I'd do it now because once the forecast becomes more generally aware the odds for a draw will tighten up in a big way I suspect.

However the July sun is strong and I suspect there will be play maybe back end of morning session.

As for Saturday, that could yet end up being a total write-off from start to finish if the rain timing is as expected right now, but early days with regards to that still.

Last edited:

sephiroth123

Cricket Spectator
Well Monday is still very uncertain, the latest weather model that has just come out suggests there may not be much rain on Monday but at this range they change nearly every run they have. Saturday however looks highly likely to see at least some rain delay, how much is in the lap of the gods.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like any rain they do have is gonna cause a problem though if the ground is already pretty much saturated.

Doubt we'll get any play before lunch tomorrow and that's being optimistic.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well if the ball's going to dart around a bit Macca should do well. Then again, so would Clark.

If the first day, or a good part of it is washed out, they may well omit Haurrie for Clark.

Big Stu was just on the radio and gave nothing away at all re selection (as you'd expect).

He did, however, say that Cox is the selector on duty and if he doesn't play he'll knuckle on with him.

Top stuff.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It would be a shame if they don't start on time, if your going to make a bet on a draw I'd do it now because once the forecast becomes more generally aware the odds for a draw will tighten up in a big way I suspect.
Already has - at lunchtime it was 5-6 but I didn't have cash in my account.

Went to look now and it's 4-7.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If the weather and light are okay we could go on late to make up for the late start couldn't we?

Woodster

International Captain
Don't know if I'm being over-optimistic, but I think with a dry night and morning tomorrow, we'll get some play prior to lunch. Can be amazing what the groundstaff can do with all the modern machinery these days, however, there looks an awful lot of work to do.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Bloody England. "hmmm it nevers rains here, so let's build a ground that retains fluid like Aunt Gladys". How you managed to knock off the French, Spanish and Germans for centuries remains a mystery. :p

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks as though the Aussies are going to drop Hughes..

News reports this morning are saying that sources from inside the camp are saying Hughes will be replaced by Watson at the top of the order...

sephiroth123

Cricket Spectator
Don't know if I'm being over-optimistic, but I think with a dry night and morning tomorrow, we'll get some play prior to lunch. Can be amazing what the groundstaff can do with all the modern machinery these days, however, there looks an awful lot of work to do.
All depends on whether we get any more showers in the morning, we shall see, certainly will be some showers about.

Matt, this is one of our wettest July's in the last 100 years. 2007 was the wettest ever July and this one is only about 3-4% behind that one, maybe even break the record yet. Just a shame you didn't play last week as the weather was better then!