• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I was in charge (as I should be), this would be the team, presuming no KP. :p

*AJ Strauss
AN Cook
ME Trescothick
PD Collingwood
RS Bopara
+MJ Prior
A Flintoff
G Swann
JM Anderson
SJ Harmison
G Onions

I feel like this may not happen though :(
PEWS to argue that Tresco and Strauss should be switched.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
3 or 6 is irrelevant - he showed nothing to demand further selection, in fact he showed more than enough to remove him from the thoughts.

Why poor running between the wickets should be discounted baffles me, but that's Dick for you.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
If I was in charge (as I should be), this would be the team, presuming no KP. :p

*AJ Strauss
AN Cook
ME Trescothick
PD Collingwood
RS Bopara
+MJ Prior
A Flintoff
G Swann
JM Anderson
SJ Harmison
G Onions

I feel like this may not happen though :(
This, with Bell and Broad in for Trescothick and Onions, IMO.

pup11

International Coach
If England win this match with no KP or Fred they deserve the Ashes.
I agree, but don't think KP has been the real problem for Aus so far in this series, though he is always a threat, but the real thorn in the flesh for Aus have been Cook and Strauss, and the solid starts that they have provided have not only blunted the Australian bowling attack, it has also helped masking the inconsistency of the English middle order so far.

If Australia are to make a comeback now in this series now, then we have to get early wickets with the new ball, and put the English middle order under some real pressure.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I think the solid opening stands and the blunt attack are a chicken and egg kinda deal.

Last edited:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss has been outstanding. Cook has been ok so far. And I can't imagine that you're saying that their performance is what has made Johnson so bad.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Strauss has been outstanding. Cook has been ok so far. And I can't imagine that you're saying that their performance is what has made Johnson so bad.
I'm definitely saying that their performance has made a significant contribution to his performace level. They've played him confidently and with skill, put away bad balls and turned the pressure back onto him. Obviously not the only reason he's struggled at all, but imo a significant contributing factor.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ian Bell:

"I know this might sound strange but I want Kevin to be playing for England. He is our No. 1 batsman and, being the professional I know he is, I am sure he is desperate to play through the series if he possibly can. But if his injury proves beyond him, then I am just as desperate to play."

Nicely put.

pup11

International Coach
What f_o_s said is true, but what I would like to add to this is that, in this series we have seen most wickets fall to the new ball, but since Johnson has been all over the place, it has allowed Cook and Strauss to hit their straps quickly and provide early momentum to their team, and hence also putting the other bowlers under pressure right from the very beginning.

I think that was one vital differences between both the teams in the last test, where England bowled brilliantly with the new ball and took early wickets with it, whereas on the contrary the Aussies leaked runs almost at the rate of 5-6 rpo with the new ball.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ian Bell:

"I know this might sound strange but I want Kevin to be playing for England. He is our No. 1 batsman and, being the professional I know he is, I am sure he is desperate to play through the series if he possibly can. But if his injury proves beyond him, then I am just as desperate to play."

Nicely put.
Nice sentiment

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What's Bell form for Warwickshire been like?

Everytime I check, Trott (like today) is scoring the bulk of their runs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
IIRC he's 2nd in the Div 1 averages to Pothas (again, if memory serves) on like 80 per innings. Was in the info box on SSN last night.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So pretty good then. Still don't want him in the side but if pushed, stick him at 6, Prior 5.