• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Jakester1288

International Regular
This is fantastic from Clarke and Haddin. Need them to both post their highest scores then hopefully go on to double centuries, then the tail to wag.
I still think we might need rain to help us along the way.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
You've got to wonder about those dodgy dismissals, especially if this one goes to the wire (being a cynic I'm predicting 410ish all out...), and if Australia do pull off a miracle and win this you've got to wonder just how hopeless England are.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Honestly can't remember the last time a cricketer was so universally reviled. Are there any Stuart Broad fans on CW?
Hi...

Yup, a fair few - they generally keep schtum when a game's in motion because it's about the only time they realise how crap he is.
8-)

Bowled well today tbh, though I'm sure that's been acknowledged. haven't read through the thread, just a couple of random pages. here are my thoughts:

Freddie's foot was a good half a foot behind the line, not sure what all the fuss was there. And Strauss hands were well off the ground. Pretty sure Hussey actually middled the ball as well.

Er, was looking great at tea, still very very confident, but have got a nagging...um...what if...feeling in my mind. I think time being called was a good thing, the bowlers can run in with a new ball pretty fresh, the batsmen will have to start all over again. Reckon we'll wrap it up by lunch, shall head to a pub for my lunch break i think

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Piertersen needs to get back into TEST batting mood not playing like T20 as he is getting bowled and caught when he is playing stupid shots.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry to be an eternal pessimist, but England are going to lose this one. And when we do, my hat will be doffed to Pup Clarke for one of the greatest Test innings in history, and Brad Haddin for his supporting role.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
OK to add to my previous post, regardless of the outcome, I will salute Clarke and Haddin. England bowled well and Clarke was completely and utterly in control. A magnificent performance.

Tomorrow will be a great day's cricket.

It's starting to look like 2005 all over again.

Doesn't mean it's enjoyable, though. Nor will my heart necessarily hold out. I won't sleep tonight unless I get completely bladdered, which I am accordingly in the process of doing.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry to be an eternal pessimist, but England are going to lose this one. And when we do, my hat will be doffed to Pup Clarke for one of the greatest Test innings in history, and Brad Haddin for his supporting role.
To win this Test after the umpiring blunders that have practically gifted you guys it, would really be an achievement.

:happy:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
To win this Test after the umpiring blunders that have practically gifted you guys it, would really be an achievement.
If Australia fail to chase 522 you can't blame it on the umpires.

If Australia succeed in chasing 522 then the achievement will be so magnificent that resurrecting grumbles over umpire decisions would be petty in the extreme.

I hope people around the world are watching this series in their droves. Yes the teams aren't at the same level that they were at in 2005, but this series is already showing the incredible power of Test Cricket. To see various countries pissing Test cricket away in favour of the short-term money-making that is T20 cricket is so depressing.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, riveting series so far. This match has been interesting the whole time, while parts of the previous one were interesting and the final day was immense. Seems a shame that the climax tomorrow will surely be a lot less nervewracking :ph34r:

slippy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
At on stage when the score was 140 for 5, Australia where 25/1 to win the match and the draw was 10/1.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If Australia fail to chase 522 you can't blame it on the umpires.
I guess it depends how short we fall. What if we fall 40 short, for example? Pretty sure a lot of the talk will be on the 3 non-dismissals (so far).

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I can't help but feel ridiculously pessimistic about this. I said at the start of play that I thought England were the only team capable of losing to a 500 run chase and I realistically thought there was a strong possibility that we'd get beat. It's just the English way.

But for the love of God England, the entire series is on the line tomorrow. If we lose tomorrow then that's it; there's no way we can come back from such a demoralizing way of defeat.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess it depends how short we fall. What if we fall 40 short, for example? Pretty sure a lot of the talk will be on the 3 non-dismissals (so far).
Yeah I'm not going to disagree with that.

But if (say) Hughes hadn't been given out when he was then we'd have been in a different world - a world where Australia still needed nearly 500 to win with one wicket down, and in which Hughes has already had 2 narrow escapes and is visibly struggling - and the likelihood is that Australia would have done worse than they have in this world where that particular butterfly hasn't flapped its wings.

p.s. Butterfly flaps its wings - an argument of last resort - but worth a try anyway

inbox24

International Debutant
Woke up this morning expecting Australia to be bowled out for a pathetic 200 or something like that.

Never been happier to eat my humble pie :D.

Michael Clarke, what a player, always stands up when the team collapses around him, always the shining light in these dark 18 months.

Really can't believe there's only 200 or so runs to get, still a long way to go yet, but if somehow these two can put on another 100, we could yet still see a win tomorrow.

In other news, I still reckon Julie shouldn't have made it to the final, you should pick the winner on the basis of who can actually work in a commercial kitchen.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I know I am renowned for being one-eyed so I thought I best mention how impressive Clarke was to me today. I don't think we'll see a better innings in this series, batted beautifully and never looked like getting out.